Penalties for repeat leavers mid-game.

sirshortysirshorty Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165198Members
I've had a whole evenings worth of games where as soon as one team thinks it's lost (ie. First to see an Onos or Exo) then half the team mass leave to force the game to end... which completely spoils the game for everybody involved!

I've played numerous games where you can easily recover and win against multiple Onos or Exo's if the team puts the effort in.

Can there be some form of penalty system to stop this happening? It's really P**sing me off!

Comments

• darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed. It feels wrong, it should be wrong and punished. Maybe leaving a notification next to their name when we hit tab. And maybe an option for server owners to not let said people play.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    staying and defending for 45 mins after the game is over spoils it even more
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    We shouldn't tag players for leaving like that, sometimes there is no point in staying. A marine team down to 1 base with all the resources in the world is going to last for a good nother 10-20 minutes against an Alien team, or at least it happens often enough that you can expect that. The solution to that is a surrender vote, so that you don't have these stupid turtles.

I could just see too many issues with this punishing players who don't want to finish a game that is going bad, even if that means some players who are inexperienced leave when the game could still be recovered. Of course that's the nature of pubs, if you want action against people who abandon games you'd probably be more likely to find that in Gathers and Competitive play. You could end up hurting the game more if players are forced to play bad matches that they know they won't enjoy.
  • drilltoothdrilltooth Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170096Members
    hell, my first real khamm win I thought for sure i'd lost. but, woudn't you know it? bombard whips, bonewall and enzyme spam really can make the difference against an exo push. (why die with res in the bank?)
    match took 86 minutes, and had at least one more hive shot from under me, but we won in the end.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    No one wants to play obviously one sided games. Punishing people for leaving isn't the right solution.

There needs to be a surrender option initiated by the commander and have people vote (2/3 majority optimal). After total map control, aliens shouldn't wait 10 minutes for marines to gear up and roll the hive.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited November 2012
    Things like this make me happy that the community I play with is relatively small. The same problem was felt in L4D2, but after a while, you start to single out the serial ragers, and they get a reputation. Playing with thousands of people in a single community though, I guess you could never keep track.
  • Exodus19Exodus19 Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167601Members
  • Exodus19Exodus19 Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167601Members
  • ruthven78ruthven78 Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171330Members
    or do something like league of legends does and give the player a cool down before they can join a new game...

have had many games like this last night, one side starts out poorly, entire team presses F4 and game ends.

one thing that might help is a real auto-balance that forces players to switch teams instead of just delaying respawn
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    If the alien com is a ###### and rushes onos drop, and if that onos has a gorge, then the game is effectively over. I'm happy to recycle in such cases. I've yet to see an exo rush (exos tend to hit at ~15 min in my games, there's just no rez for it when early phase gates are absolutely necessary for marines to win).
  • Draco HoustonDraco Houston Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167145Members
    There is no shame in leaving when you're beaten. Sometimes you just can't recover. People shouldn't be punished for f4ing out. I'd really prefer there were a concede option for the commander, or a concede vote that would trigger if enough people vote yes as it would have taken to trigger a loss with f4. This way people can go along with conceding without having to go to the ready room to do it, which would probably make it easier to convince people to start a new game.