NS2 wall hack and aimbot

ZymoranZymoran Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72781Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Cheaters are becoming a threat to gameplay</div>The public servers have have a growing number of cheaters using wallhack and aimbot/vector hacks.

The primary source of the NS2 hacks (to my knowledge) is "A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ." which is a payment/subscription site (censored on purpose)
Unlike previous hack-related topics, this topic is not a discussion about the existence of NS2 hacks. THEY DO EXIST whether you like it or not.

<b>How can you know that someone is cheating?</b>
Natural Selection 2 is a slippery slope kind of game, allowing one player or a team to significantly boost their k/d under certain conditions, making detection of cheaters more difficult as you cannot judge on k/d ratio alone.
In addition, Natural Selection 2 does not support 'first person' spectator camera, making it impossible to prove that someone uses hacks.

These are my primary criteria of differentiating between a very skilled player and a hacker:
<b>- Accuracy:</b> A hacker has about 90% accuracy (depends on latency/weapon-randomness) as a marine or alien. In spectator mode, it can be quite obvious when observing an alien hacker which jump around rapidly and still hit with every single bite.
<b>- Wallhack:</b> This is a very obvious hack when seen from spectator mode. A hacker will know where every single target is, and he will never go scouting. Marine hackers will never build structures when aliens are nearby.
<b>- Score:</b> This is an unreliable parameter, but when you see someone with 30+ kills and next to 0 deaths who in addition has a poor team, there might be something fishy going on (not counting biases such as early onos egg). Hackers are clearly revealed whenever they have more kills than the sum of both entire teams.
<b>- Player skill?:</b> Even the most skilled player can die in one-on-one fights (e.g. skulk vs marine). Hackers only die when overwhelmed (e.g. 4 skulk vs marine). This becomes quite obvious when spectated over longer periods of time.
--- If there is doubt about a player is using hacks, he probably doesn't (especially not while playing fade, onos or exos).

By youtube footage, I know for a fact that other players have spotted some of the same hackers as me.

I would like to know if other players from this community have encountered hackers.

I would also like to know if the devs are going to do anything about this - perhaps blacklisting the current hacks (VAC)? Adding first person spectator camera would help a lot in spotting the hackers (and actually proving the use of aimbot/vector hack).

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    If you have proof for any real cheats (not just speculation, there are good players out there, very good players), then PM any playtester, forum mod or dev.

VAC is enabled now, so cheaters can be banned if the cheats are known.
  • AsanoAsano Join Date: 2004-01-21 Member: 25560Members, Constellation
    Sorry, but if someone is good doesn't mean they are hacking. I get accused of hacking quite a bit and I find it pretty funny. After playing NS1 for years and NS2 (beta) and now live you tend to learn how to play. I usually go 3 to 5:1 KD in most pub games. I would imagine my KD will go down over time once people learn to aim and wall jump but at the moment most pubs I run into have yet to figure this out which is to be expected as seeing how NS2 just came out.

-Slovic
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1. Report the hacks/binaries to Valve <a href="https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-Radz-6869#report" target="_blank">https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...adz-6869#report</a>
    2. ???
    3. profit
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Same here, I play on a crappy laptop and average around 20fps out of battles.

Yet yesterday I was walking under the entrance from atrium to crevice, and there was a Lerk hanging out above the rock. I turned and saw him, I think because I heard him but maybe because I was just checking.

Anyway, the Lerk was sat there in the open completely still and I lmg'd him to Kahraa hell.

Next thing I get is a barrage of text asking 'How did I know he was there!?', and all these other accusations.

Sorry to say @OP but many in this community have been playing NS1 for years, and NS2 for 2 years. They know the levels and game very well, so don't be surprised if you are being killed when you might not think you should be.

Just watch some competitive gameplay if you want to see how high the skill level is around here.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    The usual "pay for cheat" sites (rent, assist, enhanced etc) dont have NS2 options at the moment. I would say it is unlikely that the "testers" would be advertising their cheating. I remember in games if I have a good run or good games then I sometimes put "/cheats off" in text followed by "oops, wrong bind". Especially if people accuse you of cheating. Its called "winding people up" afterall if the best response to a good player is "you are cheating" then they are hardly going to believe a "no I am not".

You are simply coming up with a lot of bluff and crap. If someone has a cheat up now then it sure isnt a public one. Post these supposed youtube links - making sure it isnt a mod on a private WHITELIST server. TBH it is pointless censoring your accusations. All I did was google "natural selection 2 aimbot" and got the "normal" cheaty sites up quite quickly.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OP goes on a rant about there absolutely being cheaters, then fails to provide any evidence and goes on to list characteristics of good players as a sure-fire way of detecting hackers. I did not find this post helpful.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Oh shut it! Until we have first person spectate and demos of them your words are hot gas.
  • XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    I dont doubt there are already hacks being made but your list of criteria made me laugh with a pretty sad face. :/
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can we PLEASE have a new rule enforced on these forums. All accusation and speculative cheating threads are instantly pulled unless evidence is provided?

I am getting tired of them.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Please forward actual proof of people hacking directly to UWE by email or any other method than using this forum.
    Closing this topic.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
This discussion has been closed.