Judge who beat daughter for downloading music gets his job back.

MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
<a href="http://kotaku.com/5959025/judge-who-beat-his-disabled-daughter-for-downloading-video-games-gets-his-job-back" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5959025/judge-who-beat-h...ts-his-job-back</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was almost a year ago to the day that Texas court-at-law judge William Adams was caught on film beating his disabled daughter Hillary after he had caught her illegally downloading video games.

While the incident in question had actually taken place all the way back in 2004, the fact it was made public in November 2011 led to Adams being put on "paid leave" from his role.

Well, the 13-member Texas State Commission on Judicial Conduct decided in September that a year's paid vacation is enough for a Judge who hits his kids over downloads (and Hillary's decision to work in a video game store), and has reinstated him to his position.

Here's their finding:

The commission acknowledges that Judge Adams was not aware that he had been secretly videotaped, and that he was not the person who released the videotape on the Internet. However, because Judge Adams regularly presides over and decides child custody, child abuse, and family violence cases, his private conduct did cast public discredit upon the judiciary and the administration of justice.

As punishment, he got...an official warning.

You have got to be kidding me<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comments

• That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    clownshoes

Thanks Texas
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    we are civilized country

america the best

usa #1
  • SumpfkrautSumpfkraut Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166100Members
    I thought child abuse is a penal offense.

It's not very nice to see that a member of the legislative gets to stand above the principles he pretents to uphold, and that his colleagues are supporting him with that. Everyone else would have got into good trouble.
    <!--quoteo(post=2018159:date=Nov 10 2012, 06:35 AM:name=Sumpfkraut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sumpfkraut @ Nov 10 2012, 06:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought child abuse is a penal offense.

It's not very nice to see that a member of the legislative gets to stand above the principles he pretents to uphold, and that his colleagues are supporting him with that. Everyone else would have got into good trouble.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Judges are not members of the legislative branch of government. They are members of te judicial branch.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    He got of way too light if you ask me
  • SumpfkrautSumpfkraut Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166100Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018496:date=Nov 10 2012, 06:26 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Nov 10 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Judges are not members of the legislative branch of government. They are members of te judicial branch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh man. Told this a friend myself only a while ago. ._.

Should have noticed it. D:
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    1) Beat children
    2) Get vacation
    3) ???
    4) Profit!
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018889:date=Nov 10 2012, 06:13 PM:name=Drfuzzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drfuzzy @ Nov 10 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018889"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Beat children
    2) Get vacation
    3) ???
    4) Profit!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats how I read it. Year paid holiday for beating children? Sign me up!
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    What kind of beating? Child beating takes place all the time all around the world. There's an obvious difference between punishing a child and what would be the equivalent of a violent physical assault at a bar room or something. If it's a spanking, or the belt, or whatever, then that's the way he chooses to parent his child and he's hardly alone in the matter.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022765:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:16 AM:name=Hyperforms)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hyperforms @ Nov 14 2012, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What kind of beating? Child beating takes place all the time all around the world. There's an obvious difference between punishing a child and what would be the equivalent of a violent physical assault at a bar room or something. If it's a spanking, or the belt, or whatever, then that's the way he chooses to parent his child and he's hardly alone in the matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In that case I see it okay. If a child has done wrong, give him/her a spank, he/she will think twice next time. Children who get let off light or do not get punished at all genraly grow up spoilt or lazy or not a productive member of socity. Not that beating a child is right, it is far from it and shouldn't happen but punishing a child with a light spank on the bottom (not hard enough to hurt but hard enough to get the message across that what they did was wrong) is fine.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    The video shows him physically tossing his daughter around the room. You have to remember she is also a "Special Needs" child, i.e, she has learning disabilities.

The guy's an ######...you can't deny that, even if he slapped her across the face, he still deserves to lose his job.
    The video's on YouTube if you want to go find it (it's the #1 result for "Texas Judge" amusingly enough).
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    yay for following the gods damned link trails:

Why is this all he got?
    Statute of limitations was up on the case (the event took place in 2004, the video was posted last year).
    Says to me that we probably need longer a statute of limitation for child abuse (seriously, 7 years at it's up? That's kinda messed up). However, as it stands, nothing else CAN be done about that. There is no way he will win re-election, but that's not till 2014, too bad.

I haven't watched the video, nor will I be watching it at work, so I'm not going to comment on if it's punishment or a beating.

Out of curiosity, where does Kotaku get that she is disabled? None of the news stories mention it.

Still, yay for sensationalist journalism!

[/rant]
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022765:date=Nov 13 2012, 09:16 PM:name=Hyperforms)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hyperforms @ Nov 13 2012, 09:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What kind of beating? Child beating takes place all the time all around the world. There's an obvious difference between punishing a child and what would be the equivalent of a violent physical assault at a bar room or something. If it's a spanking, or the belt, or whatever, then that's the way he chooses to parent his child and he's hardly alone in the matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Take a look at the video. He wasn't even in the realm of a "reprimand". The man was straight up abusive and violent towards his own daughter. Anyone that would terrorize a child like that doesn't deserve to be a parent, or have any voice in family issues that find their way into our court system. It is obvious his family values are grossly distorted, and his judgement is deeply, deeply flawed.

It is truly disgusting he will remain a part of our judicial system.
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    That's a fair criticism then. In this age of child worship you'd think sneezing anywhere near your kid would cause outrage.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023574:date=Nov 14 2012, 09:36 PM:name=Hyperforms)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hyperforms @ Nov 14 2012, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's a fair criticism then. In this age of child worship you'd think sneezing anywhere near your kid would cause outrage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let alone a judge who judges and sentences parents who beat their children...for him to be doing the same...kinda makes it worse.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    what about criminal proceedings? Surely a criminal record - even minor - would bar him from being a judge?