Phase Gates Show Destination

Malachi_NGCMalachi_NGC Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170530Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Know where you're going before you get there.</div>It would be relatively easy for a phase gate to show the name of the room that it leads to. This way you could know where you were headed before you got there.

The text could be placed on top of the shimmering blue area.

Comments

• clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    i thought of that before.
    Would be nice if you could aim for your destination, the pahse gate would look like this:

||
    ||--------------------||
    ||
    || repair
    ||
    ||--------------------||
    ||
    || central drilling
    ||
    ||--------------------||
    [][][][][][][][][][][][]
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    This is an old issue that dates back to the days of NS1. I'm not sure why it hasn't had more attention. With multiple phase gates, it seems like allowing the player to chose their destination would be a basic function of the structure.

At the very least the commander should be able to select where players phase into first from a given location. Or to be able to select one phase gate and make it the "priority", thus putting it first in line from any other gate. That way, when the comm tells everyone to get to Crossroads because we're losing it, half the team doesn't jump off at Data Core and waste time.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023686:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:19 AM:name=clankill3r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clankill3r @ Nov 15 2012, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i thought of that before.
    Would be nice if you could aim for your destination, the pahse gate would look like this:

||
    ||--------------------||
    ||
    || repair
    ||
    ||--------------------||
    ||
    || central drilling
    ||
    ||--------------------||
    [][][][][][][][][][][][]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that is pretty damn cool! you can still rush through the phasegate without any sort of menu, but you can still choose your destination. epic!

but yes, if at the very least it showed your destination for each gate, it would be good, instead of phasing, going nope, phasing again, nope, phasing, nope, phasing, ahh crap i missed it, phase over again...
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    choosing destination would be awesome

put in a delay if it needs to be balanced
    that's infinitely preferable to multiple phasing

it has balance implications though
    the only reason marines don't put phase-gates everywhere along with backup phasegates is because it confuses players to the point of making it unable for them to phase to where they need to be in time

i'd rather see the game reward different skills than memorizing phase connections
    <!--quoteo(post=2024000:date=Nov 15 2012, 01:20 PM:name=biz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biz @ Nov 15 2012, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->put in a delay if it needs to be balanced<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

star-gate wormhole animation? :) weeeeee
  • kalvkalv Join Date: 2004-09-04 Member: 31339Members
    They should also have the option "Press e to use" and select which phase gate to go to.
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024213:date=Nov 15 2012, 04:48 PM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Nov 15 2012, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should also have the option "Press e to use" and select which phase gate to go to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Press E then hit numbers 0-9 depending on area would work good.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2023686:date=Nov 14 2012, 03:19 PM:name=clankill3r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clankill3r @ Nov 14 2012, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i thought of that before.

||
    ||--------------------||
    ||
    || repair
    ||
    ||--------------------||
    ||
    || central drilling
    ||
    ||--------------------||
    [][][][][][][][][][][][]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea the most. No fumbling with menus, just look up, middle, or down and walk through. If you are not looking at it when you go through, it acts normally.

Have your selection highlighted as you are looking at it to make it easier.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024000:date=Nov 14 2012, 08:20 PM:name=biz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biz @ Nov 14 2012, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->choosing destination would be awesome

put in a delay if it needs to be balanced
    that's infinitely preferable to multiple phasing

it has balance implications though
    the only reason marines don't put phase-gates everywhere along with backup phasegates is because it confuses players to the point of making it unable for them to phase to where they need to be in time

i'd rather see the game reward different skills than memorizing phase connections<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be nice, but I can understand the argument that the extra phasing required is a good penalty for having so many connections. Aliens have to go walk it after all, and allowing marines too much flexibility would be bad.

I think the idea of some sort of delay would be ok, although it may annoy players.

Would the delay be in transit? Staring at a blank screen is not fun.
    Would the delay be before transit? Often you run to a phasegate to escape a skulk, fade or onos thats beating you up. You would be dead with this change.
    Would it be after transit? You are not vulnerable while you sit there, aliens kill you.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024287:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:55 AM:name=Bullet_Force)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullet_Force @ Nov 15 2012, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Press E then hit numbers 0-9 depending on area would work good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm, not a bad idea. Personally, I'd prefer if the maxi-map popped up, and you had to choose where to travel. Then add in a small transit time before phasing, something like 2-3 seconds. It keeps marines from being able to <i>instantly</i> get anywhere they want, but without having to hop around the entire map. It also keeps the phase get from being a 'retreat to reload' door, which bothers me even when I play marines and run into one by accident. I always kind of feel like I cheated.

Edit:

Though, on that last note, maybe make the phase gate only start to teleport you/open the map if you're facing it, and not running into it backwards.
    <!--quoteo(post=2024776:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:03 PM:name=ChaosXBeing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChaosXBeing @ Nov 15 2012, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Edit:

Though, on that last note, maybe make the phase gate only start to teleport you/open the map if you're facing it, and not running into it backwards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you are in some sort of 'phase dimension' with the map open, I imagine good players/teams will sit there and wait. When they are needed they can all flood out of exit they want.

Eveyone can play a defensive game in the phase gate waiting room, until one guy manages to sneak a phase gates near a hive. Then they can all pop out and once and kill it before alien can react. Sorry just seems like alot of firepower on tap. At least with beacon, then ordering marines in through several gates, the marines tend to stagger their arrival.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    The only good way to keep phase gates balanced with this suggestion is to increase the wait time depending on the # of phase gates. So you've got basically the same thing going on as if you never made a change, except now the waiting feels more arbitrary.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I don't think Phase Gates getting cumbersome in larger numbers is a balancing mechanism. If a problem arises because the Phase Gate becomes too effective when it works at optimal efficiency, then other tweaks can be made outside of a heavy handed delay implementation.

edit: good idea of course
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    Oh I thought you were going to suggest something amazing!!! Like that instead of a simple blue portal you would see through into the room you are going like a distorted window.... would give a ridiculous cool feeling like the PG is tearing through space....
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Actually that would be pretty cool, you could distort the image a lot and update it slowly so you can still see movement from the other side but not enough to change the gameplay or increase server load.
    <!--quoteo(post=2024869:date=Nov 15 2012, 01:35 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 15 2012, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh I thought you were going to suggest something amazing!!! Like that instead of a simple blue portal you would see through into the room you are going like a distorted window.... would give a ridiculous cool feeling like the PG is tearing through space....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah would be nice. I haven't see many games with real portals, besides Portal and Prey.
    what if the delay was the marine being de-materialized and turning into nanites one the departure end - like the IP spawn animation, but backwards.

And then have the marine materialise on the arrival end. again like the IP spawn animation.

this would also give aliens a little warning instead of marines just magically poping through. if you see several marines materialising you'd get the F out of there :)