There will be hackers

KahunaKahuna Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170993Members
It's only matter of time before hackers will start ruining games. I'd like to report a hack to the developers to they patch the game so it doesn't work. How can I contact the developers?

Comments

• Dark_DragonDark_Dragon Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63229Members, Constellation
    Send one of them on the forum a private message, or email

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/about" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/about</a>

The "Contact" button next to their names will give you their e-mails.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Kahuna:</b></u>

Cheaters are usually impatient people or risk takers seeking some kind of prize from a tournament

The public cheaters usually stop playing the game after they get banned from a few servers and it will be even more so on NS:2 where the community is much smaller

If you play tournaments you can just air on the side of caution assume that anyone who beats your team must be cheating and then analyze the replays for obvious tells
  • DizzyOneDizzyOne BASS&#33; Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9095Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023401:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:20 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Nov 14 2012, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023401"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>Kahuna:</b></u>

Cheaters are usually impatient people or risk takers seeking some kind of prize from a tournament

The public cheaters usually stop playing the game after they get banned from a few servers and it will be even more so on NS:2 where the community is much smaller

If you play tournaments you can just air on the side of caution assume that anyone who beats your team must be cheating and then analyze the replays for obvious tells<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What are you trying to say? To me your post is somehow saying "No need to fix anything guys, let's let nature sort it out." Considering this is a very serious issue and nothing to take as lightly as you seem to manage. If you have any idea how many multiplayer experiences have been ruined by cheaters, you wouldn't keep up a straight face saying this. That's why I'm slightly leaning towards that you're a troll with a not so subtle sarcastic argument.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    I should note I saw the first legitimate cheater yesterday. He was a conspicuous 20+-kills-ahead-of-anyone sort of chap. It was a modded server, so there may not have been CC.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm sure what you saw was a cheater, mhm, yup
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023500:date=Nov 14 2012, 11:44 AM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Nov 14 2012, 11:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sure what you saw was a cheater, mhm, yup<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    10 minutes into the game. When the second player had 3 kills and 2 deaths. And he was 21 kills or more ahead.
    What am I a bad player who can't tell what tr00 skeel is like?
    *It was a 22 player count server or so.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Many beta and competitive players do that to public/rookie severs regularly, yes.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023503:date=Nov 14 2012, 11:46 AM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 14 2012, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->10 minutes into the game. When the second player had 3 kills and 2 deaths. And he was 21 kills or more ahead.
    *It was a 22 player count server or so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah sorry.

Pubs are a joke, if I'm not 20 kills ahead of the crowd 10 minutes into a public game, I'm commanding or having a very bad day.

I'm definitely bad, comparatively speaking, to the bulk of pug/competitive players.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023503:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:46 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 14 2012, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->10 minutes into the game. When the second player had 3 kills and 2 deaths. And he was 21 kills or more ahead.
    If that's your reasoning for him hacking? Then yeah, pretty much. Seems like you saw someone doing well and flipped out for no reason.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023510:date=Nov 14 2012, 11:53 AM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Nov 14 2012, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Many beta and competitive players do that to public/rookie severs regularly, yes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh, you're from Nexzil or something. Yea... I know that mentality. I also believe Battlefield 3 doesn't have as many cheaters as people say it does because I'm pretty good at it.

Just hope the dude getting accused who didn't say a peep wasn't cheating! And getting 21 kills in the first 5-10 <b>minutes</b> in a game with 11 marines doing all mediocre.
    *I know it could've just been a really good player. It's just that I'd never seen people throwing accusations of cheating in my 80+ hours into the game and demanding an admin.
    So you're jealous that he's better and you're not attracting baseless accusations coming from superior skill?
    <!--quoteo(post=2023539:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:10 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Nov 14 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you're jealous that he's better and you're not attracting baseless accusations coming from superior skill?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Basically, from what I can tell. Also, he's probably bored and looking for a crusade to start or a cross to bear. Bare? How the hell do you spell that.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023527:date=Nov 14 2012, 03:04 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 14 2012, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, you're from Nexzil or something. Yea... I know that mentality. I also believe Battlefield 3 doesn't have as many cheaters as people say it does because I'm pretty good at it.

Just hope the dude getting accused who didn't say a peep wasn't cheating! And getting 21 kills in the first 5-10 <b>minutes</b> in a game with 11 marines doing all mediocre.
    *I know it could've just been a really good player. It's just that I'd never seen people throwing accusations of cheating in my 80+ hours into the game and demanding an admin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What mentality is that, exactly?

Many players just stop saying anything after being accused of cheating for the 10th server that day. I actually haven't played in a good week because of how annoying this was - killing servers or getting banned. Anyway, you seem to have taken this personally, which it wasn't, so sorry about that.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023539:date=Nov 14 2012, 12:10 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Nov 14 2012, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you're jealous that he's better and you're not attracting baseless accusations coming from superior skill?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes I'm jealous. I envy people who are good at video games. As a grown man it affects me right down to my emotional core that someone is better at a video game than me.

I was throwing out the fact that there may have been a cheater in a game. Something that I'd never seen people get accused of regardless of kills. But this is the internet. Of course someone is going to put me to doubt. I'll take screenshots next time so I don't have to get into peacock fights.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Honestly when I do play pubs I pretty much never say anything, mainly because it only seems to make things worse, and also because I almost never read chat or even pay attention to the other players. Pretty much any pub I play on results in people complaining and leaving/calling for admins, or if they are an admin just banning me. And quite honestly I hardly play the game anymore so my abilities cannot even compare to some of the people playing it for ~40 hours a week.

TLDR of the 2 hackers I have personally seen in this game, both were back in the beta and were so stupidly obvious, one was even begging to not be banned when we did ban him. Cheats are not prevelent for this game *YET*, and while the opportunity is there, with good consistency checks and vac, plus good server admins and hopefully 1st person spec, the problem will be one that is quite easily dealt with.

WTB Demo Detectives.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023380:date=Nov 14 2012, 09:59 AM:name=Kahuna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kahuna @ Nov 14 2012, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's only matter of time before hackers will start ruining games. I'd like to report a hack to the developers to they patch the game so it doesn't work. How can I contact the developers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Interesting name. Looks like your trying to troll us.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023543:date=Nov 14 2012, 12:13 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 14 2012, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Basically, from what I can tell. Also, he's probably bored and looking for a crusade to start or a cross to bear. Bare? How the hell do you spell that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Got you covered, sir. <a href="http://lisaangelettieblog.com/bare-or-bear-a-grammar-lesson/" target="_blank">Link</a>

<!--quoteo(post=2023550:date=Nov 14 2012, 12:16 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 14 2012, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes I'm jealous. I envy people who are good at video games. As a grown man it affects me right down to my emotional core that someone is better at a video game than me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Grown enough to not be able to reason there are various skill levels.

<!--quoteo(post=2023550:date=Nov 14 2012, 12:16 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 14 2012, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was throwing out the fact that there may have been a cheater in a game. Something that I'd never seen people get accused of regardless of kills. But this is the internet. Of course someone is going to put me to doubt. I'll take screenshots next time so I don't have to get into peacock fights.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Screen shots will definitely prevent anyone from challenging your assertion that someone with 20 kills and 3 deaths in 10 minutes of game play in a 22 person server is hacking.

Definitely post screen shots, please.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023563:date=Nov 14 2012, 12:28 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Nov 14 2012, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Got you covered, sir.

Grown enough to not be able to reason there are various skill levels.

Screen shots will definitely prevent anyone from challenging your assertion that someone with 20 kills and 3 deaths in 10 minutes of game play in a 22 person server is hacking.

Definitely post screen shots, please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No see, you seem to want to make me look unreasonable. I'm just a person saying there may been a cheater. I clearly don't have any concrete proof that this is true. Neither does anyone here. It could've ended there with someone pointing this out matter-of-factly.

But instead I get quasi-smug comments assuming I haven't spent as many hours in this game and clearly I don't know what I'm on about.

Try to act restrained in front of the those of us who are less enlightened, Mr. Doolittle and the other guy.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    If I have not got 25+ kills by 10mins in a pub I have done something wrong. And I'm not nearly as good as some other comp players.
    If you want to complain about pub-stomping, i'm all with you- It would be nice if more good players would avoid rookie servers. But im 99% sure this guy was not cheating. If you want me to check, post a name!

-Daniel
    Here, I'll try to tone this down.

I'm not trying to be rude.

However, initially, you offered anecdotal evidence that someone is 20 kills above everyone else, with 3~ deaths, in a public server containing 22 people, 10 minutes into the game. That is right on par with what I think anyone would expect from a skilled pug/comp player, stepping into a pub. Using <b>only</b> that information, which is of course all we have to go on: you are being unreasonable and you don't know what you're talking about. That's not intended to be smug, arrogant, condescending or rude. It's simply: with the information you've given us, that's the perception you give off.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023573:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:35 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 14 2012, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No see, you seem to want to make me look unreasonable. I'm just a person saying there may been a cheater. I clearly don't have any concrete proof that this is true. Neither does anyone here. It could've ended there with someone pointing this out matter-of-factly.

But instead I get quasi-smug comments assuming I haven't spent as many hours in this game and clearly I don't know what I'm on about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you made the same baseless allegations that someone in a race or a sport had cheated, you would be met with the same derision, and potentially even suits for slander if you actually got on anybody's radar. This makes about as much sense as challenging your friends to football, getting stomped, and assuming the people you challenged were using steroids. "Feeling" like somebody is cheating doesn't give you cause to besmirch their reputation; this field is definitely one where the accused is innocent until proven guilty.

<!--quoteo(post=2023563:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:28 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Nov 14 2012, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Got you covered, sir. <a href="http://lisaangelettieblog.com/bare-or-bear-a-grammar-lesson/" target="_blank">Link</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Also, homophononyms suck.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023503:date=Nov 14 2012, 03:46 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 14 2012, 03:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->10 minutes into the game. When the second player had 3 kills and 2 deaths. And he was 21 kills or more ahead.
    In NS and NS2 you can never flag a cheater simply by score. It's possible to be spectacularly good, and with a little luck those types of score aren't remotely unrealistic.

I have games where I go 4-1 in score ratio, and I have games where I go 1-4 (my top scores would be better, but my PC runs at about 10 frames per second in heavy action). I'm not even a very good player. In this game it's not usually the type of thing where everyone on the enemy team is bad so everyone on my team gets a good score. There's a lot of luck involved with whether or not you run into the best player on the opponents team, what positions you're in...

Just, what I'm saying is don't be quick to call people cheaters, we're very sensitive about that here because the VAST majority of the time it's respected competitive players getting wrongfully accused.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    meh, I think we're done here...
This discussion has been closed.