Takes around 5 attempts to finally get in game for all!

13»

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    duh!
    Forget about the packet length. This can't be the problem.

Please try this.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1452-HCVB-6984)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1452-HCVB-6984)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thomson / BT Home Hub users
    Please use the following process and custom file to troubleshoot the issue:
    <ol type='1'><li>Exit from Steam completely</li><li>Download these custom files: <a href="https://support.steampowered.com/downloads/1452-HCVB-6984/MasterServers.vdf" target="_blank">MasterServers.vdf</a> & <a href="http://media.steampowered.com/forums/MasterServer2.vdf" target="_blank">MasterServers2.vdf</a> - If the files do not download when clicked, please right click this link and select "Save Target As..."</li><li>Place it in your \Steam\config\ folder (You will need to overwrite the current file already in place)
    Default location: C:\Program Files\Steam\config\</li><li>Right click this updated file and select "Properties"</li><li>In the General tab, make sure the "Read-only" box is checked and click OK</li><li>Re-start Steam and test the issue</li></ol><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • LLGLLG Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150207Members
    edited April 2012
    Just tried. It doesn't work.
  • NoxmanNoxman Join Date: 2012-04-20 Member: 150796Members
    edited April 2012
    Hi there,

Been following this post for possible solutions (have exactly the same problem, 100% choke, manifests as freeze looking inside your skull, after 1min or so get the timeout message and internet drops for a bit).

Just tried the Masterservers file solution. Unfortunately it did not work for me although I didn't have any problems getting in game and onto a server, the problem simply continued as normal. I have the BT home hub (my hate for it can never be expressed in words) which doesn't have the option to change the packet timeout.

I was desperately hoping there might be some network optimisation in the update but it just happened and the problem persists (although they did make some optimisations to network traffic on bullet recognition or something).

The problem must be a bottleneck of some sort, I can play by myself merrily on a private server with no problems at all (I really need the commander training anyway :P)

Thanks very much for the help Bicsum, really appreciate you giving the effort to help us out!

Edit!: Ok weird problem, I would always get the above problem no matter what server I joined (even just alone) although about twice i've gotten lucky and for some reason didn't get 100% choke but now I can't find any servers at all. I have done all that is suggested, made sure about firewall, disabled steam overlay and now creating a local game then refreshing the server list. A couple of times I got the 0 server bug and I could see the list after making a local game but now its just 0 no matter what. At a loss now, things seem to be getting buggier for me after nothing changing (could see the server list after patch).
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1927605:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:09 PM:name=Noxman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Noxman @ Apr 20 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have the BT home hub (my hate for it can never be expressed in words) which doesn't have the option to change the packet timeout.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just to be clear, you checked the ini-file, which you get by creating a back up of your config, and didn't just search the web gui ?

<!--quoteo(post=1927605:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:09 PM:name=Noxman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Noxman @ Apr 20 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Edit!: Ok weird problem, I would always get the above problem no matter what server I joined (even just alone) although about twice i've gotten lucky and for some reason didn't get 100% choke but now I can't find any servers at all. I have done all that is suggested, made sure about firewall, disabled steam overlay and now creating a local game then refreshing the server list. A couple of times I got the 0 server bug and I could see the list after making a local game but now its just 0 no matter what. At a loss now, things seem to be getting buggier for me after nothing changing (could see the server list after patch).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd say these problems are not related.

@LLG

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8YiopTocPk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8YiopTocPk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

I'm sure the core problem is the same there.

I hope this will fix it, because I'm running low on solutions, other than changing the ISP and/or router.
  • GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926816:date=Apr 18 2012, 03:00 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Apr 18 2012, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PS: I noticed that Garfu was playing a competitive game some days ago, so I assume he doesn't have this problem anymore?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I was having the same freezes but apparently mine was fixed by updating my ATI drivers. There was a known bug in their drivers with the NS2 shader. The freezes haven't happened since I did that.
    Unfortunately only looked at the web gui, currently living at home with my parents (dad doesn't like me tinkering with it just in case I set up port-fowarding or something to help with p2p although upnp does that for me anyway) so i'll convince him to let me in and test things.

Will report back soon!
    I'm not sure the probleme comes from the port since I desactivated the firewall and put my ip adress in DMZ. I also configured port forwarding and it never got better.

Telnet access is not possible on the firmware made for this thomson router :(
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1927952:date=Apr 21 2012, 02:31 AM:name=Noxman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Noxman @ Apr 21 2012, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately only looked at the web gui, currently living at home with my parents (dad doesn't like me tinkering with it just in case I set up port-fowarding or something to help with p2p although upnp does that for me anyway) so i'll convince him to let me in and test things.

Will report back soon!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Follow <a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923219'>this</a> tutorial everything should be fine.

There cant go much wrong.

You download a backup file from your router, make a copy of it, edit one, load it back up, and you should be good to go.
    If it breaks, you can still reset your router and upload the original backup file.

<!--quoteo(post=1928107:date=Apr 21 2012, 02:31 PM:name=LLG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LLG @ Apr 21 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure the probleme comes from the port since I desactivated the firewall and put my ip adress in DMZ. I also configured port forwarding and it never got better.

Telnet access is not possible on the firmware made for this thomson router :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sucks. I guess the easiest fix would be to get a new router. Maybe send a complaint to your ISP, or threaten them with changing the ISP, to get some money back.

FYI: this is a steam problem (not UWE). It applies to a lot of steam games, which produce a lot of traffic, but only in combination with tomson / bt home hub routers.
    The problem was solved in Build 207, but it came back today with Build 208.

I ma not able to play anymore. The game freezes en "timeout" a few seconds after joining a server.

It is so annoying !

any idea of what changed between these builds ?
    Are you 100 percent sure it changed with the patch(es)?

<ul><li>Reduced network traffic regarding minimap blips.</li><li>Decreased amount of bandwidth needed for each player a bit.</li></ul>
    Hey everyone,

Just an update on this issue. Had the same problem with Red Orchestra 2 and the people on their forums are going on about it.

If you can't get access to your router (or you're like me and the bthomehub will only give you an inaccessible .bin file) then don't fear, there is a crude and irritating solution!

Basically, wait for the server list to refresh (if you are having the problem of not seeing any servers, just be patient, they will appear eventually), and when the list populates, wait 1 minute. Time it or something, but wait one minute then join a server. Boom, for me sorted. I no longer timeout upon joining, no 100% choke.

Apparently the reason this is required is because the ports that the steam master servers connect through have a rule (on some routers) that causes them to timeout after 1 minute of inactivity. For whatever reason this causes problems but if you wait until after the rule has triggered (1 minute) then you can join a game unhindered.

It's an irritating workaround but I have been successful so far, much preferable to repeat joining random games until it works (as this meant I couldn't join my game of choice with any accuracy).

So good luck folks, I hope you find a system that works for you. I just use my phone to time 1 min and sing to myself or something.

Nox
    In fact, I thought the problem disappeared in last updates, but it didn't.

But since I was unsing fsfod non-flash experimental menu (menumod), i did NOT have the gamz freezing !

I have no clue how this mod can affect connection, the fact is, whenI use it, the connection holds when it chokes.
    When I don't use the mod, the game freeze and I loose the connection.

Why is that ? Is it possible that this mod change something in the way connection is handle ?

Please note that when I search for servers (with menumod activated), I get a message : "Master server offline mode"...

Isn't it strange ?
  • RhodiumRhodium Join Date: 2012-06-01 Member: 152826Members
    Same problem if the only way is to change ISP or router i prefer don't play. The developer lost some people because the bbox is the one of the big ISP in france... it's just a question of time when the beta is finish.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1997747:date=Oct 26 2012, 01:43 PM:name=Rhodium)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rhodium @ Oct 26 2012, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997747"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same problem if the only way is to change ISP or router i prefer don't play. The developer lost some people because the bbox is the one of the big ISP in france... it's just a question of time when the beta is finish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem is not with the developers. This happens on lots of Steam 3rd party games, but only with 1 router brand, the PoS Thompson routers.

This is to do with the way Steam - Read VALVE support 3rd party games, but more importantly, with the stupid default configuration settings on the router. There is nothing at all that UWE can do to fix this issue. Speak to your ISP and ask them to send you a router, as you are a gamer, and this router is not configured for gamers. Otherwise you will lose out. Again this is 100% a router settings issue. If you cannot change the settings, you need to take it up with your ISP, as this will ultimately affect all steam 3rd party games at some point or another.
  • ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Thanks to everyone for posting their problems and solutions in this thread.

In version 227 I'd get the red cable icon during play and my entire internet connection would get knocked out. Every now and then I'd get hefty ping spikes.

In version 228 I've had the pre-cache crash two or three times followed by the bug report window. The vast majority of attempts to join a server right now end up in a few seconds of black screen with the current version number in the top left, followed by being kicked back to the main menu and being presented with a timeout message. I've tried both busy and completely empty servers. Joining a server on my own or joining a friend's game. I've tried getting into a game ten times throughout the day and so far no luck.

Overall it takes me a very long time to join a server at all, but that's probably due to not having a decent gaming rig at the moment.

I've been having more and more issues with my adsl connection ever since T-Mobile took over Online (who I originally signed up with). Especially when making Skype video calls, playing Borderlands 2 (using Steam as well) and now Natural Selection 2. The router (a Thomson TG712) has been flipping out quite often in the past couple of months, rebooting at will every now and then, dropping the internet connection. I've been meaning to switch providers for a while, so we'll be doing that this week. Especially after reading all the information in this thread.

I'm looking at XS4ALL as our new provider. They provide a <a href="http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/index.php" target="_blank">FRITZ!Box modem</a> with their internet service and have built up a reputation as a reliable ISP over here. I'm giving them a call Monday morning to ask about the available configuration options for their modem/router. As several others have pointed out, the Thomson router options are very restricted. I hope I can get an honest answer out of them, but if anyone else has any experience with this type of modem/router or has more information or advice, I'd love to hear about it.
  • KamahlKamahl Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13569Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008674:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:22 AM:name=ThinG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThinG @ Nov 4 2012, 12:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm looking at XS4ALL as our new provider. They provide a <a href="http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/index.php" target="_blank">FRITZ!Box modem</a> with their internet service and have built up a reputation as a reliable ISP over here. I'm giving them a call Monday morning to ask about the available configuration options for their modem/router. As several others have pointed out, the Thomson router options are very restricted. I hope I can get an honest answer out of them, but if anyone else has any experience with this type of modem/router or has more information or advice, I'd love to hear about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm fairly certain it's not your ISP. I've got KPN and I'm having the same issues as you.

Precaching towards an internet server just gives me timeout after a while.
    Precaching locally (listen server) works, but then connecting and playing on internet server just gives a timeout again (red disc plug is shown after 1 to 2 minutes).

[Edit]
    Reading back through the changelog makes me understand it has something to do with the "PoS Thompson router"-brand?
    I've got a KPN experia box, from shockingly the brand Thompson... How would you recommend me for contacting them? Their helpdesk is quite hell'ish. Even for someone like myself, with an IT background, to get through the amount of of-the-screen-reading-bull######. I don't believe they ship any other router then the Thompson one's I have.
  • KamahlKamahl Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13569Members
    edited November 2012
    I have spoken to the ISP and a long story short: They cannot help me with the issue. They do not have the right credentials or tools at their disposal to adjust router configuration settings.

It sums down to the excuse that my internet is working fine. I gave him a sum of what UDP is, what it means, how it works, what the game does and how the router reacts to it.
    He was able to see that happening and lost the connection to the router at some point (red light blinking). A short reboot of 30 seconds made the signal turn to green again. Also showing the logs full of UDP flood attempts (what the?!).

His reaction is that I should get more information from forums in regards to the issue and how to solve it. I showed him the post, which he actually read (@Biscum You're famous now!), and he said he didn't understood anything about the three lines of configuration (tier1 helpdesk anyone?). I told him I probably can hack the router and get it to spit out an admin password so I can do it myself, but his reaction to that would be that the ISP might take actions against it, seeing it's not my router.

Asked him for the possibility of a router upgrade. The one I have is "old" or perhaps "deprecated". He told me the router they now have is something called "arcadyan v V8". Quite some internet searches show this router to be fine regarding internet but a hell with port forwarding and wifi.

Perhaps I should just give in to the lovely bureaucratic rules set out by ISP's... One last try I could make is sending them an e-mail and hope the people reading those aren't just tier1 helpdeskers...

To quote a perhaps forgotten human from the Thunder Lizards serie: "When.. does.. the.. hurting.. stop" :(
    edited November 2012
    You should both write a complaint about the router and demand to get a new proporly working router for free. If they don't want to help you, you should just change your ISP.

My dad used to call our old ISP (Telekom) to complain about the internet being bad and he threatened them that he would get a new ISP and they gave him a 50 € compensation twice (in 2 years).

They are usually giving the compensation, because for them it's better than losing a customer.

<!--quoteo(post=2011498:date=Nov 5 2012, 08:33 PM:name=Kamahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kamahl @ Nov 5 2012, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Biscum You're famous now!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome, a clueless tier1 helpdesk guy in the netherlands knows my name :>.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->BTW, mark my signature (drag your pressed mouse over it)

.. but, you are not the only one. I'd say 8 out of 10 people (worldwide) read it wrong. I think it is something in the human brain, which makes my name pretty cool because only few people know the true pronunciation.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

:D<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Thought I'd chime in with my progress.

We decided to switch to a new ISP (XS4ALL) due to several issues mentioned before, opted for fibre optic and got all the hardware (Fritz!Box modem) today.

Haven't had a failed connection attempt since and overall the server browser experience and connecting to servers seems a lot better.

I'd have asked Online/T-Mobile for a router replacement had it not been for the other issues, but in this case an ISP switch was long overdue.

I'd definitely recommend people with comparable issues try a different router (if you can't change UDP settings on your current one). Seems to be the fix.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This :
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124418" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=124418</a>
    And, have you guys tried the beta mentioned on the ns2 main news page? follow the instructions and see if you are still getting flood issues.