ns2_break

Shr3dShr3d Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58265Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited November 2012 in Mapping
<div class="IPBDescription">The price of discovery</div>Hi folks, I used to map a fair bit for HL2 and a couple now-dead mods, however I've been following NS2 since murmurs about a standalone first started (hence I love my black armor). The spark editor and toolkit in general is impressive for a studio of a handful staff, and I'm planning to make my first release as ns2_break.

In order to keep this project alive, I'm keeping the work on it steady and structured. It will be a map with the common ns2 feel but I'm planning to make it feel as unique as possible as well (I know that sounds vague, but you'll see in the end product). I'll upload a layout soon™, however I'll be using this thread occasionally to get constructive criticism. The bottom of the page will just have a TL;DR on how far I believe I am in development.

The sketch (not final): <a href="http://i.imgur.com/tjDzO.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/tjDzO.jpg</a>

On the proper sketch, the red lines indicate ducts the aliens/jetpackers can go through, the light green means heavily alien biased area, the dark green indicates slightly alien biased. Similarly, light blue and dark blue mean the same thing for marine areas, and grey areas are neutral.

Marines will either spawn in Primary Control or Data Processing, while Kharaa will either spawn in Sector 3 or Kh'orh Cave. Personnel Transport is always neutral. The names for these areas and their layouts are not final.

Updates:
<b>Alpha</b>
<a href="http://i.imgur.com/0Mrwh.png" target="_blank">11/Nov/2012</a> - Initial layout stage
<a href="http://i.imgur.com/KCyJM.png" target="_blank">13/Nov/2012</a> - Initial layout stage

<b>Beta</b>

<b>Final
</b>

<b>Disclaimer</b>: This is work in progress, so please provide constructive criticism and your thoughts. Thank you.

Comments

• AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Looks like a good start, I'm curious to see what you'll come up with. :)

First feedback: Layout is a bit too rough to determine whether it'll be balanced. The Hive room in the first screenshot has only one entrance/exit right now. It's better to have more to reduce turtling.

Keep up the good work!
  • Shr3dShr3d Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58265Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually that's the Marine spawn, I just put a hive in there for testing purposes (make the room big enough so if a hive is placed there, it doesn't look out of place).
  • KootKoot Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165949Members
    edited November 2012
    ty i stoled.

Umad bruv?

<!--coloro:#2F4F4F--><span style="color:#2F4F4F"><!--/coloro--><i>I am very mad indeed. Mad enough to expect your future posts to be ones to watch! - Shockwave</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021922:date=Nov 13 2012, 11:51 AM:name=Koot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koot @ Nov 13 2012, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ty i stoled.

Umad bruv?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are very articulate!
  • KootKoot Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165949Members
    Calm down children...
  • DarkBlueArtDarkBlueArt Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159584Members
    Hi there,

an interesting layout you have there, I especially like the points network relay and personal transport with the hallway and lot of crossroads in between, which looks like the place most fights will occure.
    Only problem I see at the moment is the fact that aliens can gather reather easy 3 techpoints and 4 res nodes which are quite far away from the marines' start. On the other hand, if marines get to manage to kill one hive, the othr two places are in danger, too.
    Oh, and Database should get a second antrance (besides the vent) otherwise it gets a deathtrap.

But keep on!

so long
  • Shr3dShr3d Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58265Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you for the feedback DarkBlueArt, I'm definitely taking into account map balance and will take your thoughts into consideration. It really gives you a sense of appreciation for how much effort and thought is put into ns2 maps when they're being designed, as opposed to a lot of other games.