Weapons vs armor upgrades?

SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I prefer weapons as I like to kill them before they get to close in. If I dont have upgraded weapons carapice seems to prevent me from killing them before they get in to close. I will normally win a close quarter fight, though I dont do as well compared to range.

Should weapons come first? What is a good comm's upgrade path?

Comments

• statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    <a href="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ns2+forum+weapons+or+armour+first" target="_blank">http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ns2+forum+weapons+or+armour+first</a>
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited November 2012
    i generally go armor 1 first then up to weapons 2 and I'll go from there. letting your guys be able to survive that extra bite as quickly as possible can make or break.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022254:date=Nov 13 2012, 11:32 AM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Nov 13 2012, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ns2+forum+weapons+or+armour+first" target="_blank">http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ns2+forum+weapons+or+armour+first</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aaaaand the search doesn't even answer his question. What a tool.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Theres no "let me use the forum search function for you". I would hope you could make the connection on your own.
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022292:date=Nov 13 2012, 12:05 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 13 2012, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aaaaand the search doesn't even answer his question. What a tool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In fact, the first search result .... was this forum post... derp.
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022293:date=Nov 13 2012, 12:08 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Nov 13 2012, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022293"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Theres no "let me use the forum search function for you". I would hope you could make the connection on your own.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, this forum has a LOT of old posts... posts relevant only to really old builds, so even finding an old post may be completely useless. But you couldn't tell because there is no correlation between post and build. Also, even though I was on the beta for a short while I couldn't tell you which build specifically x or y was changed...but that's just me.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Flaming and condescension doesn't help anyone. Even if the questions are repetitive, provide an answer/opinion or link to one... or just don't answer.

I prefer to go A1 first, even if my team's tearing up the aliens. Fades eventually come out and you need to take a extra swipe. Then it's usually W1, W2.. maybe even W3 before A2. It's rote. It's the safe route.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I tend to go W1 or shotgun first to counter cara, then A1.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    w1-3 each add 10% damage
    a1-3 each add 20 armor

notable points:
    a1 = skulk takes 3 bites instead of 2 + parasite
    a1 = fade takes 3 swipes instead of 2
    a2 = skulks take 4 bites instead of 3
    a3 = fades take 4 swipes instead of 3

Now these are kind of murky points with glancing bites/swipes/gore in the game. Previously, a1 was very important because it guaranteed a 3rd hit to kill a marine. Now it's very likely that you can die to 2 hits + glancing bite. In this situation, a1 or a0 doesn't matter. Typically a1 is needed when fades come out to prevent 2 shots.

In most situations, weapon upgrades >>> armor upgrades. The big timing to hit (imo) is a1 for fades. Fades come out so late and upgrades are so cheap that it doesn't really matter. You'll probably have w3 and armor 2-3 by the times fades come out.

To answer your question, it is probably best to get w2-3 before a1 unless your upgrades are so slow that fades are coming out. Fades will roll a0 marines.
  • NomNomsNomNoms Join Date: 2010-06-10 Member: 72018Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022462:date=Nov 13 2012, 09:42 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 13 2012, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->w1-3 each add 10% damage
    a1-3 each add 20 armor

notable points:
    a1 = skulk takes 3 bites instead of 2 + parasite
    a1 = fade takes 3 swipes instead of 2
    a2 = skulks take 4 bites instead of 3
    a3 = fades take 4 swipes instead of 3

Now these are kind of murky points with glancing bites/swipes/gore in the game. Previously, a1 was very important because it guaranteed a 3rd hit to kill a marine. Now it's very likely that you can die to 2 hits + glancing bite. In this situation, a1 or a0 doesn't matter. Typically a1 is needed when fades come out to prevent 2 shots.

In most situations, weapon upgrades >>> armor upgrades. The big timing to hit (imo) is a1 for fades. Fades come out so late and upgrades are so cheap that it doesn't really matter. You'll probably have w3 and armor 2-3 by the times fades come out.

To answer your question, it is probably best to get w2-3 before a1 unless your upgrades are so slow that fades are coming out. Fades will roll a0 marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is why glancing blows are dumb.

A bite is a bite is a bite is a bite x1000.
    With the removal of focus, there is absolutely no need for aliens to do less damage because of bad luck.
    Aliens don't take less damage for getting shot in the foot.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Aliens also take no damage when a marine misses you by a small amount. The old bite cones were completely fine before glancing blows, all that really hurt the aliens was poor movement, fatsuit skulk and bad collisions. Now we have bad collisions, poor movement, fat skulk and a bite mechanic that allows you to hold m1 and look in the general direction of marines.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022479:date=Nov 14 2012, 08:03 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 14 2012, 08:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens also take no damage when a marine misses you by a small amount. The old bite cones were completely fine before glancing blows, all that really hurt the aliens was poor movement, fatsuit skulk and bad collisions. Now we have bad collisions, poor movement, fat skulk and a bite mechanic that allows you to hold m1 and look in the general direction of marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have to admit, glancing bite has made my skulk play a bucketload more lazy. Why bother trying to para 2 bite when i can't exactly tell where the 75 bite range is intuitively anymore. If i get a glancing bite, it still ends up being 3 bites. Kinda easy to get 3 glancing bites for a0 kills as well.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022246:date=Nov 13 2012, 09:24 AM:name=Solarity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solarity @ Nov 13 2012, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer weapons as I like to kill them before they get to close in. If I dont have upgraded weapons carapice seems to prevent me from killing them before they get in to close. I will normally win a close quarter fight, though I dont do as well compared to range.

Should weapons come first? What is a good comm's upgrade path?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Depends on the comm and the map. If I am against an Alien comm that goes Master Blasters route (Fast Xeno) I rush armor1 then weapons follow. Although I will usually have armor2 and guns 2 within 6:30 during most rounds.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    It's all a matter of preference. If you're a rambo you probably want weapons first so you can kill skulks quicker. If you prefer to work with someone else you probably want armor cause it gives your partner more time to pick off the guy attacking you.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    I would say this depends on techpath too. I have seen some interesting builds where the comm goes straight for A3 and pops exos. Ive also see straight to W3 (maybe A1) and jet packs.

Best advice IMO... Watch your marines in early engagements... If they can shoot, W1. If not, A1.
  • metcompositemetcomposite Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022491:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:14 PM:name=pRiNcEkAhUnA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pRiNcEkAhUnA @ Nov 13 2012, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depends on the comm and the map. If I am against an Alien comm that goes Master Blasters route (Fast Xeno) I rush armor1 then weapons follow. Although I will usually have armor2 and guns 2 within 6:30 during most rounds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fast...Xeno? As in Xenocide?

Is that a real build that people actually use? o_O

Xenocide has a three hive prerequisite (and leap prerequisite) which adds up to a total of 135 team res just to unlock. (And about 300 seconds of hive build time and research time). Like...even if you get weapons 3 first, I think you might still finish armor 1 by the time even a rushed Xenocide finishes. (To say nothing of how I've seen a lot of people say that they never research Xenocide because it's bad...).
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2022521:date=Nov 13 2012, 04:50 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Nov 13 2012, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's all a matter of preference. If you're a rambo you probably want weapons first so you can kill skulks quicker. If you prefer to work with someone else you probably want armor cause it gives your partner more time to pick off the guy attacking you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get weapon upgrades first if you can aim, get armor upgrades first if you can't.
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    I personally tend to go the route of the old NS1 upgrade system, where I go A1 then W1>3, then more armor.
    But what Gorgeous says is also true.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Armor. ###### love armor.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Weapons 1
    Shot guns or armor 1
    Armor 1 or shot guns
    Weapons 2
    Weapons 3 vs exo's
    If exo's then armor 2
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    edited November 2012
    weapons upgrades don't upgrade exo's damage (and w1 doesn't change the number of bullets needed to kill a simple skulk)

armor upgrades get your exo MUCH MORE armor

so if you don't want to be roflstomped by early onos and loose the game get armor 3 before weapon 3 while researching exos
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    get A2, and give everyone welders
    fun for all
  • grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
    edited November 2012
    I usually go a2 then for weapons. There's no garauntee the alien comm will go crag hive first for carapice, most prefer shift. So it takes what, 6-8 bullets to kill a skulk? As a marine com you can really see the armour protect your 'rines from those glancing blows.

If your team can't aim for ###### then the game is just gonna go to ###### eventually anyway.
  • SyriquezSyriquez Join Date: 2005-01-29 Member: 38979Members
    Weapons 1 doesn't improve the LMG against Skulks. Armor 1 makes you significantly tougher in the face of the stupidity that is the glancing bite mechanic. Armor 2+Welders basically breaks any semblance of chance for Skulk victory if your Marines can hit with 10% accuracy.