Marine movement needs to be reverted back to ns1

legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
Aliens are able to glide effortlessly through hallways killing anything in there way. Marines on the other hand are at a severe disadvantage soon as any type of combat begins. The inability to move backwards at maximum speed makes marines sitting ducks to any mediocre skilled alien life form. This is really bad game design and honestly it isn't fun. Feeling like you are stuck in quick sand while trying to use evasive maneuvers is insanely frustrating. I mean it's bad enough that creep slows you down why do marines also need to be at a disadvantage in areas that aren't hive locations?

I realize most developers don't actually play there games and that's why changes get made which frustrate the hell out of the player base. But can you please take another look at this and possibly change it? Because I can tell you from a die hard ns players perspective marines are not fun to play right now. Marines have a lot of extra tasks to attend to then they did previously in ns1. Which means many more chances for aliens to get the jump on you while pressing E on an object.

Comments

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021542:date=Nov 12 2012, 07:40 PM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Nov 12 2012, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens are able to glide effortlessly through hallways killing anything in there way. Marines on the other hand are at a severe disadvantage soon as any type of combat begins. The inability to move backwards at maximum speed makes marines sitting ducks to any mediocre skilled alien life form. This is really bad game design and honestly it isn't fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was in NS1. The key is to never press the S key and take advantage of strafe jumping and circle strafing. In fact several builds ago they loosened up movement and removed the strafe acceleration and tweaked jumping so landing on a surface higher that what you were on will no longer slow you down.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Feeling like you are stuck in quick sand while trying to use evasive maneuvers is insanely frustrating. I mean it's bad enough that creep slows you down why do marines also need to be at a disadvantage in areas that aren't hive locations?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was removed a long time ago. Marines are no longer slowed down on infestation.
  • KovenKoven Join Date: 2007-04-20 Member: 60677Members, Constellation
    Remove sprint, revert to NS1 movement.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021555:date=Nov 13 2012, 10:50 AM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Nov 13 2012, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove sprint, revert to NS1 movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    at least when marines move they aren't delayed for a second, like aliens, so just move to the left or right instead of holding back, who the ###### holds back to avoid an attack in any game? That always gets you killed unless the game is stupid.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Meh, my only issue with marine movement right now is sprint.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021542:date=Nov 13 2012, 12:40 PM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Nov 13 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens are able to glide effortlessly through hallways killing anything in there way. Marines on the other hand are at a severe disadvantage soon as any type of combat begins. The inability to move backwards at maximum speed makes marines sitting ducks to any mediocre skilled alien life form. This is really bad game design and honestly it isn't fun. Feeling like you are stuck in quick sand while trying to use evasive maneuvers is insanely frustrating.<b> I mean it's bad enough that creep slows you down why do marines also need to be at a disadvantage in areas that aren't hive locations?</b>
    I realize most developers don't actually play there games and that's why changes get made which frustrate the hell out of the player base. But can you please take another look at this and possibly change it? Because I can tell you from a die hard ns players perspective marines are not fun to play right now. Marines have a lot of extra tasks to attend to then they did previously in ns1. Which means many more chances for aliens to get the jump on you while pressing E on an object.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Been a while since you have played?

Movement slowdown from infestation was removed a long time ago....dont believe its been re-added.

Go troll elsewhere (apologies if you are not trolling and just have not played for atleast 8 +months).
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited November 2012
    Advanced warning lego: almost every beta tester has held the exact opposite opinion as yours throughout the beta. It is widely accepted that marines have far too much mobility at the moment, in and out of combat.

Oh, and backpeddling? Really? Not a WoW player are you? Well the *preferable* alternative to backpeddling is the same in NS2 as it is in WoW. Go look it up.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2021555:date=Nov 12 2012, 09:50 PM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Nov 12 2012, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove sprint, revert to NS1 movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    I have no issues with marine movement after the big buff it got before release.
  • RegnRegn Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165335Members
    Actually, I want to restrict marines ability to jump. As a skulks it is highly annoying when they outmaneuver me by glitching their character's model over mine repeatedly. Although, I wouldn't suggest it as something that should be "fixed".
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021542:date=Nov 12 2012, 10:40 PM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Nov 12 2012, 10:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens are able to glide effortlessly through hallways killing anything in there way. Marines on the other hand are at a severe disadvantage soon as any type of combat begins. The inability to move backwards at maximum speed makes marines sitting ducks to any mediocre skilled alien life form. This is really bad game design and honestly it isn't fun. Feeling like you are stuck in quick sand while trying to use evasive maneuvers is insanely frustrating. I mean it's bad enough that creep slows you down why do marines also need to be at a disadvantage in areas that aren't hive locations?

I realize most developers don't actually play there games and that's why changes get made which frustrate the hell out of the player base. But can you please take another look at this and possibly change it? Because I can tell you from a die hard ns players perspective marines are not fun to play right now. Marines have a lot of extra tasks to attend to then they did previously in ns1. Which means many more chances for aliens to get the jump on you while pressing E on an object.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol, you troll so deliciously.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Marines are already too mobile for my taste. Especially sprint feels out of place tbh. Really takes away some of the alien mobility advantage they should have.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Excellent trolling OP, I lol'd hard.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--quoteo(post=2021555:date=Nov 13 2012, 12:50 PM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Nov 13 2012, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove sprint, revert to NS1 movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->^ This.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    skulks are too overpowered versus marines?

nice try, but you're not fooling me mr troll.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    As the OP is factually so completely incorrect that thread should be closed
  • ShahnazShahnaz Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170201Members
    Marines? I thought I was fighting bunnies.

They hop as much as bunnies though.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah... close the thread. OP is a troll. Or just making stuff up after playing NS2 for 5 hours.
  • PueidistPueidist Join Date: 2007-04-18 Member: 60665Members
    some of us here agree with him
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021555:date=Nov 13 2012, 03:50 AM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Nov 13 2012, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove sprint, revert to NS1 movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    OP is fail, but this is on the money.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    You cant give marines more mobility, if you do, then they have to take a look at the weapons and recoil, there has to be some of that.

You cant have simple point and hold down fire button and hit 100%. and have super mobility. There has to actually be some disadvantage to be a ranged combatant.

Skulk move so slowly compared to how they were at some point in the beta, back then it was amazing being a skulk, because they actually had the advantage of speed, but in the game atm, skulk is downright slow.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Man, sometimes I wonder if the people who make these threads actually think about these changes... You want marines to be able to run backwards and shoot at the same time.... Do you guys actually think about how useless this would make skulks?
  • KovenKoven Join Date: 2007-04-20 Member: 60677Members, Constellation
    Skulk movement also needs drastic improvement.

Some kind of skilled movement mechanic (current walljump is crap.)

oh and make the model smaller.

Basically revert that ###### back to NS1 also.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021555:date=Nov 12 2012, 08:50 PM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Nov 12 2012, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove sprint, revert to NS1 movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    pls
  • PureHostilityPureHostility Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167579Members
    edited November 2012
    What about instead of removing sprint, add it as an upgrade to 2nd cc ?
    So you need to hold 2 CC to have this upgrade and also you need to research it first?

<b>It could be a "light weight materials" or "Flexible armor joints", it would more logical, as tech was evolved to let your marines have some edge.
    So you would need 2nd cc to be able to sprint, marines turtling or losing heavily wouldn't be able to do so nor they could expand that fast in the early game</b>

But currently, they have way too high mobility, annoying high jumping (I use it too, but it's annoying nonetheless !!! I wish it was lowered or skulk would still be able to bite "invisible" leg hitboxes like if they were on the ground).
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021542:date=Nov 13 2012, 03:40 AM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Nov 13 2012, 03:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens are able to glide effortlessly through hallways killing anything in there way. Marines on the other hand are at a severe disadvantage soon as any type of combat begins. The inability to move backwards at maximum speed makes marines sitting ducks to any mediocre skilled alien life form. This is really bad game design and honestly it isn't fun. Feeling like you are stuck in quick sand while trying to use evasive maneuvers is insanely frustrating. I mean it's bad enough that creep slows you down why do marines also need to be at a disadvantage in areas that aren't hive locations?

I am not sure what game you are playing. But marines are more maneuverable than aliens.

Seriously. Have you been playing this game?!

Your aiming and jumping is your weapon. You sprint fast er than skulks can run if you drop your weps.

This post feels as if it was made in a vacuum from the balance perhaps 6 months ago
  • Exodus19Exodus19 Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167601Members
    If anything there should be a bigger penalty to bunny hopping around as a frontiersman. Combats king of rediculious if you watch a skull and rine go at it
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    yay, slowly but surely the stupid suggestions you people wanted in the game are now seen as stupid and game breaking and we have to sit through 10 patches to get them taken out :D
  • HH89HH89 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169515Members
    edited November 2012
    Remove sprint? Really?

If you are suggesting that sprint is useful in combat you are completely wrong. Sprinting normally results in your death (during engagements).

If you are suggesting sprint allows Marines to cover too much of the map quickly, you are also out of your mind. I know this game isn't a sim, but for God-sake why the hell would they not be able to run? Aliens already get boosts to movement on-top of being faster at base speed as any evolution. I also sincerely hope your second part of the argument is not that Marines have phase gates, so they are faster anyway. You have to spend a lot of tres to build one. Not to mention you have to build two otherwise its pointless. Then you have to defend the damn thing. How often do alien players camp the gate? All the time? Yes, phase gates are an advantage, but that is hardly an excuse to make everything Marines do even slower.

"Your aiming and jumping is your weapon. You sprint fast er than skulks can run if you drop your weps." - Dictator93

-- Who the hell would drop their weapons???

P.s. The sprint even has a distance limit with a cool down.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    I used to think that the back pedal was too slow also. But the more I play, the more it makes sense for the alien team. Their melee attacks are their main damage dealers, so they need to be able to get in close to be affective. Marines have the huge advantage of range which with be further accented by faster back pedaling. It really does balance out quite nicely and forces the marines to be a bit more cautious.

On sprint: I liked it better when there was no limit to sprint. I'm ok with UWE's choice to cap it as I am sure it does change the balance, but that mechanic of limited sprint has always bugged me. It really kills the immersion for me. At the very least I would like a better hint for when my sprint will run out and when I can sprint again. If I am not mistaken, there are no visual cues and hardly any audible cues if any. A visual cue would break the immersion even more, but it would be very useful. Right now it just seems a bit unfinished.

Personally, I think any marine who carelessly sprints non-stop around corners deserves to be eaten anyway.