How to fix the 'skulk movement is not skillfull enough' issue

haymohaymo Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34040Members, NS1 Playtester
Adapt warsow/painkiller style movement to skulks. Hold forward and bounce (hold jump before landing) without hitting walls to gain speed. Hold jump when hitting a wall to bounce off of it. Bhop (left/right instead of forward) mechanics can be added in for higher skill players and better dodging (like ns1, like warsow).

If anyone knows what I'm talking about please post. These mechanics are proven and would also fantastically fit the ns2 world and with how skulks work.

Comments

• DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I find I can get pretty ridiculousl speed by wall jumping already. Not really sure why it needs more improvement.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    They mentioned in the Q&A that they're continuing to work on skulk movement, I'll get there bit by bit.
  • LucianLucian Join Date: 2004-01-09 Member: 25193Members, Constellation
    I have lots of trouble hitting jumping skulks, so they're doing something right.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021760:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:41 AM:name=haymo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (haymo @ Nov 13 2012, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adapt warsow/painkiller style movement to skulks. Hold forward and bounce (hold jump before landing) without hitting walls to gain speed. Hold jump when hitting a wall to bounce off of it. Bhop (left/right instead of forward) mechanics can be added in for higher skill players and better dodging (like ns1, like warsow).

If anyone knows what I'm talking about please post. These mechanics are proven and would also fantastically fit the ns2 world and with how skulks work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Practice wall jump. It's hard, it's effective, it's relatively untapped.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Watch..and learn:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLHGSzXySU&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLHGSzXySU...feature=related</a>

I dont think mechanics have changed much for 1.0. Just practice!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd hoping to get camera orientation to the walls and ceiling eventually.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    I would like this also haymo wall jumping was cool in 216 but is now pointless. Alien movement in general is just slow.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Sup matt!

I'm a huge advocate of warsow style bhop + walljump
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    The current movement mechanics already net you enough advantages, the problem is that they require 0 skill or learning curve.

There's no need for bunnyhop or something... just a tweak to how wall jump speed is gained through good timing and perhaps some physics with how you move your character off walls. It actually used to be this way... but was incredibly overpowered.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZA8Jdd7uaw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZA8Jdd7uaw</a>

Heres a really old video I made that shows off old skulk movement, it required skill and timing to do what I was doing and this was before celerity was in the game. You could get stupid awesome amounts of speed and air control.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Doesn't repetitive jumping on walls + specific mouse movement in the air = bunny hop on wall = bunny hop + 90° ?

Personally I would prefer bunny hop on the ceilings, it would make more sense.
  • t0fut0fu Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170615Members
    Insert Q3 strafe jumping comment here :)