WWZ trailer

blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
<div class="IPBDescription">On Youtube</div>I am hyping

Summer it is.

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited November 2012
    Because I'm not a twerp:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/slfrrjPndV4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/slfrrjPndV4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Fast zombies? Bleh.

--Scythe--
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    Some people are disappointing, as it doesn't really follow the book plot (read: it doesn't follow the plot at all, besides the zombies). If you've read the book (which is a fun read) you will find that it is basically a collection of 'survivor stories' that I believe would be difficult to make a movie out of. In the book, the zombies weren't even like this (fast as hell).

Regardless, I think the movie looks great. I enjoy zombie movies / games / comics, and this one actually deals with the beginning of the fallout. Most zombie related anything are about the survivors story, so I'm excited about the idea of showing day 0.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    The fast type of zombies bother me very little compared to these....blobs of zerglings mashed together like liquid. What the hell is up with that?
    <!--quoteo(post=2020801:date=Nov 12 2012, 06:29 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Nov 12 2012, 06:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fast type of zombies bother me very little compared to these....blobs of zerglings mashed together like liquid. What the hell is up with that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Woops, what I meant was that in the book they were the traditional slow zombies. I don't think they are going for the hive-mind like zombie, but more so a group with a similar thought: Getting food. With that mentality, they will do whatever necessary, taking the shortest possible path to get to their goal. Once the mound starts forming, that is the obvious shortest path.

Looks like a cluster######.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2020827:date=Nov 12 2012, 08:53 AM:name=SmellyPants)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmellyPants @ Nov 12 2012, 08:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Woops, what I meant was that in the book they were the traditional slow zombies. I don't think they are going for the hive-mind like zombie, but more so a group with a similar thought: Getting food. With that mentality, they will do whatever necessary, taking the shortest possible path to get to their goal. Once the mound starts forming, that is the obvious shortest path.

Looks like a cluster######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I kind of like it. It's a somewhat new way of portraying zombos. Most of the time they are either slow mobs or fast mobs. I've never seen them be mobby mobs.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    It's also an interesting visual effect, and a perfectly reasonable zombie behavior as well.

That said, I still want there to be a WWZ TV show, because that's EXACTLY what it should be (or a mini-series).

Also, there is apparently a re-release of the audio book coming out soon, this time unabridged, with a full cast.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    A lot of the trailer is set in Glasgow city centre! Awesome!

Fast zombies. Not so awesome :(
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    edited November 2012
    Ok. Here we come again: fast vs slow zombies fuss...

Yes, I read the book, and yes I enjoyed it, but also as a thinking person I was asking myself: does Max Brooks know about the might of a tank division? Does he really comprehend that? 80 ton of pure armored awesomness times hundreds, which can easily erase whole countries (small european ones for sure) with it caterpillars. Not even need to shoot, just smash. This is why the USSR kept those 20 000 (out of 63 900 total) tanks on the western border up till 1990.

That was the weakest part of the book. But even in WD comic they utilized that idea.

But these zombies, swarms, hordes - yeah, that is really hard to fight.
    <!--quoteo(post=2021642:date=Nov 12 2012, 09:09 PM:name=blin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blin @ Nov 12 2012, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok. Here we come again: fast vs slow zombies fuss...

Yes, I read the book, and yes I enjoyed it, but also as a thinking person I was asking myself: does Max Brooks know about the might of a tank division? Does he really comprehend that? 80 ton of pure armored awesomness times hundreds, which can easily erase whole countries (small european ones for sure) with it caterpillars. Not even need to shoot, just smash. This is why the USSR kept those 20 000 (out of 63 900 total) tanks on the western border up till 1990.

That was the weakest part of the book. But even in WD comic they utilized that idea.

But these zombies, swarms, hordes - yeah, that is really hard to fight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the only reason Max Brooks even mentioned the tanks was to elude to the lack of preparation & excess of arrogance of the military brass. Can they drive around, simply crushing things -- sure. Are the shells they are equipped with useful? Hardly. The first conflict between the military and the zombies was to show that the military, even with their fancy toys, could be defeated by the zombie's shear numbers.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Also in the later parts of the conflict, a lot of tanks were beached whales, dependent on a jet-fuel-producing infrastructure that no longer existed.
    But yes, the book quite heavily lampshades how a global zombie pandemic could only be possible in the face of staggering incompetence and <i>very</i> sketchy science. Lampshades it, then says: "However, that's our premise, so moving on..."
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Tanks would be great in a huge wide open flat area.

The problem with zombies in WWZ is that they're in urban areas and... well, everywhere. A tank could drive across a parking lot and flatten zombies, but it'd have a harder time doing the same down a freeway with cars and barricades strewn everywhere. Same for streets. And swamps.

Plus, running over a zombie doesn't kill it. Only smashing the head does. Drive into a crowd of zombies in a tank and you get x amount of dead zombies, but y amount of zombies that are now buried in a pile of bodies, just waiting to bite anyone who moves in for cleanup, or crawling out with no legs and now they're harder to see and they're gonna bite your ankles.
  • GamigonGamigon Join Date: 2003-07-25 Member: 18418Members
    Interesting how Israeli defense force has just a integral part in the firm. The entire trailer I pretty much only saw IDF soldiers (based on there uniform and gear).
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021575:date=Nov 13 2012, 04:02 AM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Nov 13 2012, 04:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of the trailer is set in Glasgow city centre! Awesome!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So it's a documentary then?