How will UWE and NS2 hold up in the long term?

2»

Comments

• ShebaSheba Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17046Members
    You all forgot the most obvious answer: NS3 !!! :)

Well at least when sale rates drop and they got all the features in they wanted for NS2. So long ... Gorge plushies !
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    Gorges.

That's all they need. Gorge plushes, toys, hats, shirts, action figures, water guns, gummy candy. That and maybe make a real life bar from Docking, The Thirsty Onos.

/endthread
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    A good money source would be making NS2 work for console systems. Playstation 3, Xbox, Wii and so on. Also, they can create mobile NS2 game in Text mode adventure like they do from Management FIFA everything is text form action and do able. Adding unique skins to purchase would kinda cool too like Fat marines and bloated skulks.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2020744:date=Nov 12 2012, 02:47 PM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Nov 12 2012, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Free weekends, guest passes, steam sales, regular content updates, awesome mods. Those all help to prolong the sales. Seeing how long they've been able to develop NS2, I reckon they'll continue to work on it for quite some time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Decrease the performance issues, do some fixes and then advertise and open up NS2 in a free weekend. That will for sure get a lot of players!

<!--quoteo(post=2020761:date=Nov 12 2012, 03:01 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 12 2012, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually think the official servers are a stopgap untill uwe can further optimize server performance. Will probably see them slowly phased out when this happens...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=2020778:date=Nov 12 2012, 03:12 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Nov 12 2012, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TF2 turned to ###### when they added all the new garbage, completely ruined the game for tons of players that liked the standard gameplay<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->+1
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2020875:date=Nov 12 2012, 04:49 PM:name=Zefram)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zefram @ Nov 12 2012, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A possble third race was mentioned recently in one of the developer Q&As.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pro'Tossers?
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Natural Selection: Source

Natural Selection 2: Episode 1

Natural Selection 2: Episode 2

Natural Selection: (Inter)Global Offensive

We have PLENTY of ideas after ns2 is finalized. No cash problem here.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    I don't know how UWE could monetize something like cosmetic add-ons when new skins are already available for free from the steam workshop, it just requires that server operators enable them. Unless it was a goodwill thing, where everyone buys UWEs stuff because they want to support them--even though they could get the same thing for free.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited November 2012
    Why don't you guys quit talking like they are about to go under. They just released a game like two weeks ago, remember? I'll take a stab at what I think their future prospects are though. I bet they will make more video games. Call me crazy but I think that's what a video game company does. Also, they are making games in the least evil way possible, with full modding tools and everything but nope, people come on here and say they are going to go under because they don't monetize hats like Valve does? Just get out.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021101:date=Nov 12 2012, 03:47 PM:name=BVKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BVKnight @ Nov 12 2012, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021101"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how UWE could monetize something like cosmetic add-ons when new skins are already available for free from the steam workshop, it just requires that server operators enable them. Unless it was a goodwill thing, where everyone buys UWEs stuff because they want to support them--even though they could get the same thing for free.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not the same as a personal skin that applies to all servers. Besides, if someone put actual DLC skins on the Workshop I suspect UWE could get them removed.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2021106:date=Nov 12 2012, 12:51 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 12 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why don't you guys quit talking like they are about to go under. They just released a game like two weeks ago, remember? I'll take a stab at what I think their future prospects are though. I bet they will make more video games. Call me crazy but I think that's what a video game company does. Also, they are making games in the least evil way possible, with full modding tools and everything but nope, people come on here and say they are going to go under because they don't monetize hats like Valve does? Just get out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with this. He makes good points. UWE will make other games. Hopefully they are all as good as NS2 so I can throw my money at them.
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    An Angry Aliens app for Android and iOS.
  • McFailMcFail Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164979Members
    edited November 2012
    Map pack DLCs are the quickest way to segregate your playerbase and kill your game. Who ever proposed this is clueless.
    If they want for NS2 to evolve into a esport they need to optimize the game hardcore, no fps became competitive while being this demanding.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    A new in-game store, using micro-transactions to replace PRes and TRes. Want to get that second hive a little faster? Get that Onos a little bit earlier? Use Flamethrowers at the 1min mark? Just pay a bit more. Everyone can get everything at the normal times for free (free-to-play) but those willing to open their wallets can get everything faster. Angry that you got killed by a blinking fade at the 30 second mark? Stop being such a whining, stingy ######.

Also, make NS2 a free-to-play-browser-online-midcore-microtransaction-facebook-social game, to maximise user-acquisition and revenue-extraction from the concurrent player-base. It's all the rage these days, get with it.

But seriously, for now NS2 and UWE are ok :). The plan is to continue to add free content to the game with big and meaningful updates, interspersed with bug-fix/balance patches such as build 229. Games tend to settle into a long-tail of steady sales on Steam. So by providing awesome content to everyone who owns the game, and actively supporting it, we hope to maximise the size and length of that long tail.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2021424:date=Nov 12 2012, 04:48 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Nov 12 2012, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, make NS2 a free-to-play-browser-online-midcore-microtransaction-facebook-social game, to maximise user-acquisition and revenue-extraction from the concurrent player-base. It's all the rage these days, get with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gorgeville. The ultimate way to express your inner hydra farmer.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yes, what Hugh said.

Sales are rockin'. We're very happy! No need for us to work on side projects to pay the bills. We'll just focus on making NS2 better and better.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    OMFGorgeville! Woot!

All the NS2 geeks/geekettes can get their vamp loving witch/warlock gf/bf on the next YouFace™ craze!

At least we won't buy books whose sales falsely convince Meyers she can write.

Heh, this must be the hardest part about being in UWE ... you're still a biz, with sensitive biz data, do we give out our prospectus freely? (Only if you're primary investors are *really* happy with that lol!).

OP: I see UWE T-shifts worn by alot of people on the videos released so far, WasabiOne found one, surely I can too?
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021484:date=Nov 12 2012, 08:48 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 12 2012, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sales are rockin'. We're very happy! No need for us to work on side projects to pay the bills. We'll just focus on making NS2 better and better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just want to say congratulations on the success, as an aspiring game developer you guys are amongst my heroes, and your story is one that keeps me going.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021097:date=Nov 13 2012, 03:41 AM:name=saltybp53)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (saltybp53 @ Nov 13 2012, 03:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021097"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural Selection: Source

Natural Selection 2: Episode 1

Natural Selection 2: Episode 2

Natural Selection: (Inter)Global Offensive

We have PLENTY of ideas after ns2 is finalized. No cash problem here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    THEY said we would have NS:S in sometime like 2006 but they just scrap the program. i really hope that now there should be one.

dun worry they will restart the donation system once again when they buy their new ferrari and burn donuts in it
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021484:date=Nov 13 2012, 03:48 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 13 2012, 03:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, what Hugh said.

Sales are rockin'. We're very happy! No need for us to work on side projects to pay the bills. We'll just focus on making NS2 better and better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't forget about the Gorge plushies.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    UWE is a game development studio. They did something frankly quite amazing actually. At some point they'll get a publisher and make a new game. Paradox is a possibility for example.

In the short term they obviously don't have to worry about that however.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021791:date=Nov 13 2012, 08:14 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 13 2012, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At some point they'll get a publisher and make a new game. Paradox is a possibility for example.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I hope not...what the hell would you need a publisher nowdays? There's steam (Valve already acts as a kind of publisher) and crowd-funding. Both worked well for UWE.
    And nobody will tell you to make you game crappier for a greater audience. No one will force you to release a dumbed down game for the Xbox or milk your last cash cows to death.
    I think UWE would lose at least half of their fans if they weren't indie.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    It won't, it's left for player's creating mods. NS1 died to player's who loved the fast paced games which gave way to NS1 combat. However, NS2 has it's own engine so it will be intresting how or if UWE will let people experiment with the code.