PRes Gifting

WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
I was thinking of an option that if you have unused Pres just sitting there, you could donate it to another person.

I often find many matches where we would have to wait for 2-3 people to save up 75 res. I don't need res and my teammates are waiting to go Onos. I don't go Onos much, as I like to bilebomb instead.

So what do you think. Also think about whether Commanders should be included.

Comments

• Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    30 second Onos, here we come.
  • hartrafthartraft Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72468Members
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    It doesn't work because then people would all dump their P.Res onto one person to get an early onos.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    maybe with a huge penalty

otherwise 1 onos at 5 mins turns into 4 onos at 5 min
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021190:date=Nov 12 2012, 04:07 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Nov 12 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->30 second Onos, here we come.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What could possibly go wrong?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It might have been viable if marines could do the same and get a 30 second exo and welders, but unfortunately due to the asymmetric nature of the game (exos need to be researched, onos does not) it doesn't quite work.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    For it to be viable you have to balance the whole game around it. I don't think it would be healthy for a metagame to develop where a few players are expected to just be res dumpers for the superstars on the team.
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    What if Bob could give 10 res to Carl, but then has to wait for 10 mins. While that cooldown period is active the rest of the team can only give 5 res
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021226:date=Nov 12 2012, 11:23 PM:name=WonderWaffles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WonderWaffles @ Nov 12 2012, 11:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if Bob could give 10 res to Carl, but then has to wait for 10 mins. While that cooldown period is active the rest of the team can only give 5 res<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you want to implement a pres gifting system that prevents people from gifting pres?
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>WonderWaffles:</b></u>

You can drop weapons on the ground for other players

And there is talk about letting gorges be able to use their Pres to make a lifeform egg like alien commander can so that should cover it
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021238:date=Nov 13 2012, 07:29 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 13 2012, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you want to implement a pres gifting system that prevents people from gifting pres?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Prevent <i>too much</i> gifting
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    My main hesitation with Gorges evolving eggs is that it means hydras aren't disposable anymore, now you have to make a very calculated decision about whether or not it's worth delaying that Onos. Same problem that's causing alien comms to never build any structures in competitive games. Gorges wouldn't want to risk their lives either since that's 10 more res down the drain. Seems like it would just make their gameplay very safe and boring.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2021248:date=Nov 12 2012, 04:36 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 12 2012, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021248"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My main hesitation with Gorges evolving eggs is that it means hydras aren't disposable anymore, now you have to make a very calculated decision about whether or not it's worth delaying that Onos. Same problem that's causing alien comms to never build any structures in competitive games. Gorges wouldn't want to risk their lives either since that's 10 more res down the drain. Seems like it would just make their gameplay very safe and boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I liked that part of ns1.

It was like which should I do. Fortify the area, get a fade, or save up for a hive.

But we all know ns2 isn't ns1. NS2 is about instant hive drops and 6 minute Onos.
    <!--quoteo(post=2021256:date=Nov 12 2012, 05:41 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Nov 12 2012, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I liked that part of ns1.

It was like which should I do. Fortify the area, get a fade, or save up for a hive.

But we all know ns2 isn't ns1. NS2 is about instant hive drops and 6 minute Onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's no different from NS1 right now, either you save for lifeform or you go Gorge and spend your res doing that. I don't think playing Gorge should also be about saving for lifeforms.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Marines can already drop weapons for eachother. I would like to be able to buy an egg for someone.

Just no res gifting. Buying eggs makes sure it only comes from 1 person.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Buying eggs for someone else would actually be an excellent idea IMO. Sometimes I've had 100 res with a lerk or fade, and don't really feel like going onos, but someone else on the team probably would :-D .
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Nope, don't want this function ever. It was a mod for NS1 and it was a horrible terrible failure in every possible way, some of which have already been mentioned here.

Gorge putting down egg drops is interesting, but at the end of the day you would see this so infrequently that it might as well not be done. People on the internet are generally not known for their forgiving and generous natures. After Gorge gets his 'tunnels', whatever those end up being, they'll be great. You also don't want two units doing redundant work, which would be what you end up with if gorges can duplicate commander work. Right now, Gorges complement the commander rather than replacing him. That was tricky, but UWE pulled it off pretty darn well in my book.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Res gifting = bad idea, letting you buy and drop eggs with pres = good idea. Sometimes I just want to lerk or fade but the team could use an onos, why not let someone who just joined have that evolution I don't want?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021348:date=Nov 12 2012, 05:08 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 12 2012, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge putting down egg drops is interesting, but at the end of the day you would see this so infrequently that it might as well not be done. People on the internet are generally not known for their forgiving and generous natures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Has nothing to do with altruism, everything about propping up your team so you win.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    Seeing OP's threads, it reminds me Wheatley in Portal 2.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited November 2012
    The way this could work would be:
    *alien commander cannot drop eggs for first 3mins of the game (like in starcraft 2 you cannot gift resources for the first few minutes of the round).

*Players on both teams can gift res, but only to the commander Tres, so that then the commander can then decide how to use that res. be an egg (after 3 mins), a fast expansion, or a fast upgrade. Or nothing and everyone keeps their own res.

it could make better use of resoures late in the game too
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    That goes against the entire point of separating Tres from Pres. At 3 min in every Marine can just chip in a few bucks for instant dual-armory-researching-powerhouse if there are enough of them in the game. It doesn't scale and it completely ignores the reason people get Pres in the 1st place.

We don't need Pres gifting in any way, shape, or form. Marines can buy guns for each other and that's as far as it should go, if that.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    Once upon a time, in the beta, the Khamm earned PRes and eggs were bought with PRes. This meant that any players with excess res could jump in the hive and drop an egg, then let the Khamm resume his duties (which often included buying an egg with their otherwise unused PRes, at least in pubs).

I see no reason why this couldn't make a come back as an option on eggs, top row of buttons remains TRes, copy the buttons to the bottom row and make those use PRes. It's no different than marines buying weapons for each other.

Heck, just give any player the ability to 'use' a plain egg and evolve it instead of using the Khamm interface.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021679:date=Nov 13 2012, 03:43 PM:name=Ness_FrogKing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ness_FrogKing @ Nov 13 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Once upon a time, in the beta, the Khamm earned PRes and eggs were bought with PRes. This meant that any players with excess res could jump in the hive and drop an egg, then let the Khamm resume his duties (which often included buying an egg with their otherwise unused PRes, at least in pubs).

I see no reason why this couldn't make a come back as an option on eggs, top row of buttons remains TRes, copy the buttons to the bottom row and make those use PRes. It's no different than marines buying weapons for each other.

Heck, just give any player the ability to 'use' a plain egg and evolve it instead of using the Khamm interface.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i wonder if multiple commanders will ever comm back (see what i did there?) :)