Voice volume in game

Noodle!Noodle! Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168752Members
Right now even if I have voice volume cranked up to max the in game volume completely drowns out voice for me. This is true no matter what volume I use.

I'm not sure if this is only my problem or if it's the same for everyone, but it makes it very hard to play cooperatively.

Comments

• COJICOJI Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168091Members
    A big problem that has been brought up, there was a large thread here somewhere but got lost, it is indeed annoying not being able to hear people in combat.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    It's been here ever since they introduced voice.

I doubt it'll be gone for a long time.
  • _enemy_enemy Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 168953Members
    Why is this such a difficult problem to fix? It influences a huge portion of the game, and is surely not intentional? If communication is hindered in a game that is reliant on co-operation, then that game formula suffers as a result. I don't see why the devs are so hesitant to fix this problem, it's not as if it's not an urgent problem, it genuinely impacts every game I play negatively, as a skulk I can't hear others talking to me whilst I'm chewing on a power node, and as a frontiersman I can't hear my team-mates talking to me whenever I'm building or shooting.

Why is the dev team so lethargic about this?
  • ToiletjuiceToiletjuice Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161228Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018078:date=Nov 10 2012, 11:24 AM:name=_enemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_enemy @ Nov 10 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018078"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is this such a difficult problem to fix? It influences a huge portion of the game, and is surely not intentional? If communication is hindered in a game that is reliant on co-operation, then that game formula suffers as a result. I don't see why the devs are so hesitant to fix this problem, it's not as if it's not an urgent problem, it genuinely impacts every game I play negatively, as a skulk I can't hear others talking to me whilst I'm chewing on a power node, and as a frontiersman I can't hear my team-mates talking to me whenever I'm building or shooting.

Why is the dev team so lethargic about this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed
  • Noodle!Noodle! Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168752Members
    I'm going to give it a slight bump, since I see no other posts about it but it seems others also have the same problem.

I'd love to try commanding as well, but as it stands that's also impossible as I can't hear people if there's any sort of in game sfx playing.
  • yellow1346yellow1346 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166590Members
    God forbid you need to hear anyone while an Exo is blasting stuff any less than 3 rooms away.
  • itspreachitspreach Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164638Members
    Please make this a high(er) priority UWE.
  • jeffcojeffco Join Date: 2011-02-14 Member: 81785Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021019:date=Nov 12 2012, 07:12 PM:name=itspreach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (itspreach @ Nov 12 2012, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please make this a high(er) priority UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

I am sure someone like Max, Dushan, Dr. Steve, Brian or Andi could fix this within minutes. Please do so :)
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    Yes this really needs fixing. Everyone says my volume is barely hearable. Ive cranked up mic boost and windows volume slider for recording devices, set up voice in steam settings and in the game. Works without problems in other games.
    I'm a little disappointed that there's no official reply, to be honest. It seems like it would be a bigger deal.
    Just saying that they're aware of it would be good enough.
  • WerewombleWerewomble Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171128Members
    Bump agreement if you miss voice comms due to background noise.

I signed up to the forums just to support this plea.

EVERY SINGLE GAME I hear people saying my name, I frequently can't hear what they are asking me to do.
    This is insane.
    NS is the best team play game ever made and I CAN'T HEAR MY TEAM MATES.

Please, put voice comms on a different volume slider.

Can you imagine how new players cope with this? They don't. They will leave more often due to it.
    NS has such a good community and you have put so much effort into developing it.
    This will lose you players and money.

Just put the voice comms on its own slider.

It is not hard.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'll bring this to their attention, but I need a better description if what its desired. "can't hear voice over game play" is not specific.
    How much % increase is needed?
    Is it your voice, all voices, just comm?
    Youve obviously tried lowering game volume?
  • WerewombleWerewomble Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171128Members
    Thank you so much!

There are three volume sliders:

- Sound Volume
    - Music Volume
    - Voice Volume

I'm currently at:
    - Sound 20%
    - Music 0%
    - Voice 100%

It seems (and I've fiddled with it a lot) that Voice Volume is not the team VOIP volume exclusively.
    When I switch Voice Volume up the sound of chomping, gunfire, etc. seem to increase the same amount.

Clear labelling of which slider effect Sound Effects/Environmental would be a big help.
    I remember going into sound settings during a fight because I didn't know what my comm was asking me to do (could only make out my name) several times.

Ideally, this layout would be very clear to a frustrated newbie feeling like they are letting their team down:
    - Master Volume
    - Music Volume
    - Voice Volume
    - <b>Sound Effects Volume</b> (guessing this includes ambient/environment sounds like creep and buildings as they are all models like players)

"Sound Volume" is not a philosophical concept I want to meditate on when I'm looking for the sound effects to switch them down and can't find them.
    1. Is Sound Volume the whole game's Master Volume? That amplifies other volumes?
    2. Or is it the Sound Effects Volume? At 20% I still can't hear my comm.

This happens with and without Mumble.

Thanks for looking into this, I really appreciate it.
    Thanks ironhorse! Werewomble is pretty much on point with what he says, and our settings seem to be the same.

I think as it is now voice volume would have to increase by 200-300% to clearly hear team mates.
  • ByorunByorun Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15661Members, Constellation
    an option to put ingame voice on a different souce/audio device would be nice so that i can separate communication from gameplay. I am using a mono communication headset for teamspeak which is sufficient for voip
  • Kaiza86Kaiza86 Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171373Members
    This problem definitely needs a fix. NS2 is so much about teamplay, that you should be able to understand what the commander or anybody else says.

The problem is the overall voice-volume. If this value could just be changed it needs to be at least about 80-90% i would suspect.

I really like this game and enjoy playing it, but the low vooice volume and the performance issues are still very very annoying.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    +1 Love to see this fixed.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2012
    Forwarded. Thanks guys
    "Brian: sure, u can tell them i have added it to my list :)"
  • -FLH--FLH- Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168077Members
    +1

Teamwork or why bother :)
  • BigTeefBigTeef Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171892Members
    Cant command if nobody can hear me.