Binding Number Keys

TwinTwin Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168597Members
<!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->Hello<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
I've just spent 4 hours fighting with the keyinput/console binding/steam cloud/options.xml config.

<!--coloro:#FFFACD--><span style="color:#FFFACD"><!--/coloro-->First<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - NS2 isn't understanding my number presses (top row, not numberpad) and cannot bind anything from within the menu. I'm using a UK layout keyboard if that matters.

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->Second<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - After reading the available binds, the numbers I want are referenced as Num1, Num2, Num3 etc. I've attempted to set various binds in the console, e.g.
<b>bind Num2 taunt</b>
this doesn't seem to do do anything other than create a ConsoleBindings.json file.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Third<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - I manually edited the options.xml (Btw, why would you place half the config files in "\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2" and then put one key config file in "\Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\4920\remote\" ?? Bizarre.)
This worked initially, but unfortunately Steam Cloud now has a config where I've accidentally double bound Q.

I've tried deleting the Steam Cloud data, but when it does manage to delete, NS2 instantly rebuilds the options.xml and I'm back at square one.

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->TLDR;<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
I need to change Taunt to Num2 <b>in game</b>.
Could someone please tell me how to do this?

Comments

• meretrixmeretrix Join Date: 2004-01-23 Member: 25620Members, Constellation
    Can you right click on options.xml and make it read only?
  • itspreachitspreach Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164638Members
    edited November 2012
    I haven't tried it myself but are you sure the keys aren't referenced such as kp_

like kp_uparrow, kp_downarrow, kp_leftarrow, kp_rightarrow
  • TwinTwin Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168597Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020940:date=Nov 12 2012, 04:51 PM:name=itspreach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (itspreach @ Nov 12 2012, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't tried it myself but are you sure the keys aren't referenced such as kp_

like kp_uparrow, kp_downarrow, kp_leftarrow, kp_rightarrow<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the numberpad keys are listed as, NumPadX.
    However I just want to bind the normal top row numbers.

When the default options.xml is created, the weapon number keys are listed as simple one digit, eg. 2
    When I use the ingame key binding, the keystroke is recorded in the same way, eg. 2
    However if I immediately look into the console, it tells me that the key doesn't exist!

If I edit options.xml and manually assign the shortcut to, Num2
    then the key will work correctly.

From what I've noticed though.. I cannot seem to change the Taunt key.

It's not a massive problem, I'll just wait until they've patched it :)