I know....I know...The Onos.

HH89HH89 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169515Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Stun</div>1). I'm a pub player with friends.

2). I know I'm not an expert, that is why I'm coming to the forums for feedback.

With those points above taken care of, I would like to ask why does the Onos have a stun? In light of all the attributes to the Onos intrinsic or extrinsic (e.g.: Close quarters maps and Onos run fast) Its stun ability seems to be the ultimate ###K you.

I'm not saying I think the Onos is "OP"
I'm certainly not saying I think 1-3 Marines should be "effective" at killing an Onos. (Though, I have noticed asymmetrical game play aside, a Skulk can mess up an exo)

I don't know why I have to lay on the ground completely immobile for what 5 to upward of 10 seconds? Even if its just 5, that is a long time in this game. The situation is always bad enough I don't see why this is implemented the way it currently is.
Change it to a shock where marines stumble backwards for a three seconds.
Change it to a slow.
Decrease the time of the stun.
Remove it.

NO, I don't think anything else about the Onos is messed up. I just feel like the stun is asinine.
This thread does not take into account any Resource or timing issues of over all gameplay.

Comments

• antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    Onos stun is a 3rd hive ability on an Endgame 75 res unit. It is the ultimate alien ability and is required to prevent marine stalemates. It is a must have.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    3 Hive abilities are supposed to be unfair. Don't let the aliens take that much territory.
  • HH89HH89 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169515Members
    So this is not a normal ability then? That is good to know at least. I couldn't tell if it was random in use due to pub play or if I was simply getting better at running away.
  • Bobert_The_one_and_onlyBobert_The_one_and_only Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169466Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019836:date=Nov 11 2012, 09:26 AM:name=HH89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HH89 @ Nov 11 2012, 09:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1). I'm a pub player with friends.

2). I know I'm not an expert, that is why I'm coming to the forums for feedback.

With those points above taken care of, I would like to ask why does the Onos have a stun? In light of all the attributes to the Onos intrinsic or extrinsic (e.g.: Close quarters maps and Onos run fast) Its stun ability seems to be the ultimate ###K you.

I'm not saying I think the Onos is "OP"
    I'm certainly not saying I think 1-3 Marines should be "effective" at killing an Onos. (Though, I have noticed asymmetrical game play aside, a Skulk can mess up an exo)

I don't know why I have to lay on the ground completely immobile for what 5 to upward of 10 seconds? Even if its just 5, that is a long time in this game. The situation is always bad enough I don't see why this is implemented the way it currently is.
    Change it to a shock where marines stumble backwards for a three seconds.
    Change it to a slow.
    Decrease the time of the stun.
    Remove it.

NO, I don't think anything else about the Onos is messed up. I just feel like the stun is asinine.
    This thread does not take into account any Resource or timing issues of over all gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It always make me laugh when people compare onos and exos like they are the same.
    It always make me laugh when people try to play onos and exos like they are the same.

<b>... and for stomp.. get better, <u>you can nullify stomp by jumping at the right moment </u>when hes about to stomp, it wont affect you at all, practice.
    or you can simply use a jet pack which is 10 res.</b>

YES, I KNOW. this game, have a high skill ceiling.
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019845:date=Nov 11 2012, 10:35 AM:name=HH89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HH89 @ Nov 11 2012, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So this is not a normal ability then? That is good to know at least. I couldn't tell if it was random in use due to pub play or if I was simply getting better at running away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, have to have 3 hives. The goal here is to end the game. Marines turtling is notoriously difficult to break though.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019845:date=Nov 11 2012, 05:35 PM:name=HH89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HH89 @ Nov 11 2012, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So this is not a normal ability then? That is good to know at least. I couldn't tell if it was random in use due to pub play or if I was simply getting better at running away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed, it is a 30 res upgrade with a 3 hive requirement to even use.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019848:date=Nov 11 2012, 11:37 AM:name=Bobert_The_one_and_only)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bobert_The_one_and_only @ Nov 11 2012, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>... and for stomp.. get better, <u>you can nullify stomp by jumping at the right moment </u>when hes about to stomp, it wont affect you at all, practice.
    or you can simply use a jet pack which is 10 res.</b>

YES, I KNOW. this game, have a high skill ceiling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is what I like about stomp. Onos has a very low skill ceiling compared to others, but what it does have is timing your stomps and charges correctly. Marines can counter both if they are clever/not lagging.
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    I wish they'd give the crowd control ability to another lifeform personally. It just encourages Onos spamming even further than the game already does to give it the crowd control ability.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Even though it is a 75 res life form, and it is a third hive ability... I'm sorry, in its current state it is just bull######.

Its not horribly overpowered or anything, its just bad design. Using stomp, you can effectively take a player out of the game, for as long as you see fit. Not only that, you can actually take multiple players out of the game. Quite often as Onos, during a stalemate, it is preferable to bunch up 3 or 4 marines and then just start perma stomping them from 10 or so meters away. Keep them all down, and let your team go in and destroy the base. No pesky respawning marines or anything like that.

At the moment it really is just silly.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020049:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:26 PM:name=Hyperforms)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hyperforms @ Nov 11 2012, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish they'd give the crowd control ability to another lifeform personally. It just encourages Onos spamming even further than the game already does to give it the crowd control ability.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well skulk has xenocide, but thats rubbish. Lerk has its gas. Only fade and gorge lack a crowd control ability, if you don't consider cog-walls crowd control.
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020056:date=Nov 11 2012, 02:34 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 11 2012, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well skulk has xenocide, but thats rubbish. Lerk has its gas. Only fade and gorge lack a crowd control ability, if you don't consider cog-walls crowd control.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Vortex is considered a fade crowd control ability.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020056:date=Nov 11 2012, 11:34 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 11 2012, 11:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well skulk has xenocide, but thats rubbish. Lerk has its gas. Only fade and gorge lack a crowd control ability, if you don't consider cog-walls crowd control.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020056:date=Nov 11 2012, 01:34 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 11 2012, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well skulk has xenocide, but thats rubbish. Lerk has its gas. Only fade and gorge lack a crowd control ability, if you don't consider cog-walls crowd control.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, CC abilities would be things like stuns, snares, slows, silences, banishes and fears. Also, Zoning abilities are a form of CC, so things like massive AOE damage could be considered a form of CC.

So right now, it would be things like Vortex, Stomp, Spores, and flamethrowers. Kind of.

Honestly, the more I think about this game the more it could be compared to a new sort of weird-ass MOBA or something. It almost makes more sense to think of it like that.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    So if we say we remove or decrease the stun time. then we have to buff the Onos and i mean alot

Removing the stun, i would think onos would need around 6000 hp or so. because when onos cannot stop dmg from marines, it has to be able to absorb it.

and if we decrease the stun duration by 50%, well onos needs that back in HP. so atleast up around 4000 hp or so.

without stun and current HP onos is useless, its sadly that simple. and nobody wants to be a big bullet sponge, that simply isnt fun. its a nessary evil the game needs to have.

try seeing how fast onos die if they run into a room full of tier 3 marines, onos or onos'es will die before the rest of the aliens even get a chance to come in, you wont ever in a million years be able to break turtling marines, already with stun, it takes up arounds 15-20 min on public servers, without it, i dare say that you cannot break marines turtle on 1 base.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i just have to add that a stun is required to counteract the clunky hitbox of the onos, to stop a single marine kiting you around a pillar and therefore dealing more damage than he should etc.

don't go up against the onos alone and it's fine.
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    A wild guess...
    I think he was just stomped several times in a row. I mean how long does stomp stun? Like 3 sec?
    Hes talkin about 5+ sec.

When im an onos and got stomp i like to chain stomp a rine every now and then, just for the lolz.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2020139:date=Nov 11 2012, 05:52 PM:name=oMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oMe @ Nov 11 2012, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A wild guess...
    I think he was just stomped several times in a row. I mean how long does stomp stun? Like 3 sec?
    Hes talkin about 5+ sec.

When im an onos and got stomp i like to chain stomp a rine every now and then, just for the lolz.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People tend to remember durations of "bad experience" as if they were longer. In short, he's exaggerating. It sucks to get hit by stomp, but 3 seconds sounds about right.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To the OP, have you ever played a match where the aliens are trying to break a marine turtle, on either side? Even stomp is not enough by itself. There is nothing wrong with stomp. If you let the aliens get a 3rd hive, you SHOULD be at a disadvantage if you're a marine, that's why you try to deny them that third hive.
  • elpollo12elpollo12 Join Date: 2011-07-12 Member: 109909Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2020098:date=Nov 12 2012, 12:12 AM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 12 2012, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if we say we remove or decrease the stun time. then we have to buff the Onos and i mean alot

Removing the stun, i would think onos would need around 6000 hp or so. because when onos cannot stop dmg from marines, it has to be able to absorb it.

and if we decrease the stun duration by 50%, well onos needs that back in HP. so atleast up around 4000 hp or so.

without stun and current HP onos is useless, its sadly that simple. and nobody wants to be a big bullet sponge, that simply isnt fun. its a nessary evil the game needs to have.

try seeing how fast onos die if they run into a room full of tier 3 marines, onos or onos'es will die before the rest of the aliens even get a chance to come in, you wont ever in a million years be able to break turtling marines, already with stun, it takes up arounds 15-20 min on public servers, without it, i dare say that you cannot break marines turtle on 1 base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    wft?
    Onos without stomp is useless? What are you talking about? Stomp is nice to have but an onos without it is far from useless.
    The biggest unbalanced thing right now is player experience.

I think uwe needs to buff the noobs or nerf the beta players to balance the game.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020187:date=Nov 12 2012, 12:35 AM:name=elpollo12)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elpollo12 @ Nov 12 2012, 12:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wft?
    Onos without stomp is useless? What are you talking about? Stomp is nice to have but an onos without it is far from useless.
    The biggest unbalanced thing right now is player experience.

I think uwe needs to buff the noobs or nerf the beta players to balance the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And yet some of us was in beta and saw Onos without stomp how they were useless, but you know best of course. all hail this guy!
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd be happy to see stomp removed and devour bought back. At least when I was eaten the onos couldn't eat me again and again and again. Like when an onos trolls me with stomp.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2020055:date=Nov 11 2012, 04:34 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 11 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even though it is a 75 res life form, and it is a third hive ability... I'm sorry, in its current state it is just bull######. Its not horribly overpowered or anything, its just bad design. Using stomp, you can effectively take a player out of the game, for as long as you see fit. Not only that, you can actually take multiple players out of the game. Quite often as Onos, during a stalemate, it is preferable to bunch up 3 or 4 marines and then just start perma stomping them from 10 or so meters away. Keep them all down, and let your team go in and destroy the base. No pesky respawning marines or anything like that. At the moment it really is just silly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Had a game earlier today where I was an onos and another team member, as onos, met 7 marines in Glass Hallway and immobilized them all with stomp. Then killed them. The lost of PRes was funny to watch as we moved into Data Core and killed it.