NS2 forum cry fest

SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
What a bunch of cry baby whiners. Seriously.

The butthurt is strong in the general discussion:

<b>Alien complaints:</b>
"Skulks movements are poor"
"Alien vision is bad"
"Marines shouldn't be able to restore armor at the armory"
"Aliens need a minimap"
"Shotgun is OP"
"Medpack spamming is OP"
"Cyst chain is pointless"
"Alien commander is pointless"

<b>Marine complaints:</b>
"Fades are OP"
"Alien vision is OP"
"Fast Onos are OP"
"NS2 is not NS1, why?"

I came to these forums with hopes of interesting strategies, fun stories, or other useful information. What I've found is people who are complaining on both sides of the fence. Is it not possible that people are simply better than you? Do you find the skulk movements / bite mechanics difficult to use? Do fades constantly kill you? Shotguns difficult to counter? Why can't people chalk up his/her losses to another player's ability?

Instead of writing a book on why each of these complaints are annoying as hell, please understand that this is like every other game where a person can choose different sides. If UWE were to implement any 'fix' the average post suggests, it would only further imbalance the fragile balance that exists in the game.

If it's any consolation to new players: We all started out sucking. Imagine buying this game in Beta, where most, if not all had been playing the game much longer than I. Die multiple times from the shotgun in a game? Does this really constitute a plea to UWE to nerf the shotgun?

/rant

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty much everything has been declared OP, except for the flamethrower.

Just take it in stride, at least people care enough about this game to whine about it. That's gotta count for something.
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019455:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:26 AM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Nov 11 2012, 03:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty much everything has been declared OP, except for the flamethrower.

Just take it in stride, at least people care enough about this game to whine about it. That's gotta count for something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think people miss the HMG and hate the flame thrower because it is more so a weapon to help the team than oneself. Can you solo a fade with the flame thrower? Doubt it. Can you, with the help of your team, kill a fade / onos? Heck yea! The energy rape & use against alien structures make the flame thrower a fun, niche weapon.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree. There's a lot of threads pertaining to balance, but some of the them do have a point. The reason why there aren't many thread discussing strategies is because alot of interesting strategies have been effectively blocked off atm.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019455:date=Nov 11 2012, 12:26 PM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Nov 11 2012, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->except for the flamethrower.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was the most hated weapon in alpha/beta.

Flamethrowers killed any alien in seconds, blinded them completely, and drained all their energy. The flames went through walls too. That didn't help.

So if nobody complains about the flamethrower now it's a reflection of how OP it once was.

Posts whining about whiners whining don't end well...
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2019462:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:31 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Nov 11 2012, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That was the most hated weapon in alpha/beta.

Flamethrowers killed any alien in seconds, blinded them completely, and drained all their energy. The flames went through walls too. That didn't help.

So if nobody complains about the flamethrower now it's a reflection of how OP it once was.

Posts whining about whiners whining don't end well...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Flamethrowers right now are pretty much perfect. I really like how it's meant for high utility in a attack group. It helps keeps Skulks off of Exos and burns through cysts in no time. Great backup tool without being a primary offense weapon. I love it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2019462:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:31 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Nov 11 2012, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That was the most hated weapon in alpha/beta.

Posts whining about whiners whining don't end well...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're probably right. I simply find reading the forums to be futile, when it is made up entirely of complaints toward UWE. I enjoy the game, and cannot comprehend how people can pay $25 (assuming they have bought it since release), from an extremely small game development company, and expect what one might receive from a multi-million dollar development company.

Sorry if these types of posts are equally annoying. I hate hearing it in-game as well. "Fades are imba" ..shut the hell up. haha
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019450:date=Nov 11 2012, 04:21 AM:name=SmellyPants)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmellyPants @ Nov 11 2012, 04:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it not possible that people are simply better than you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I could say the same. Is it not possible that maybe there might be a balancing problem with some of those? It's a bit of both. There's a lot of non-balance complaints stemming from poor play, and there's a lot of what I, at-least, consider legitimate balance issues.

<!--quoteo(post=2019450:date=Nov 11 2012, 04:21 AM:name=SmellyPants)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmellyPants @ Nov 11 2012, 04:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I enjoy the game, and cannot comprehend how people can pay $25 (assuming they have bought it since release), from an extremely small game development company, and expect what one might receive from a multi-million dollar development company.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I cannot comprehend how people assume one needs a multi-million dollar development company to balance a game. I can sort-of understand that argument for engine optimization, but for everything else? Nope.
    <!--quoteo(post=2019483:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:49 AM:name=Ansom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansom @ Nov 11 2012, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could say the same. Is it not possible that maybe there might be a balancing problem with some of those? It's a bit of both. There's a lot of non-balance complaints stemming from poor play, and there's a lot of what I, at-least, consider legitimate balance issues.

I cannot comprehend how people assume one needs a multi-million dollar development company to balance a game. I can sort-of understand that argument for engine optimization, but for everything else? Nope.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tell me, what you in all your glory, would do to 'fix' the balance issues? People are complaining on BOTH sides.
    So far, win/loss ratio has been 50% for both sides. (From what NS2stats have reported before and after their reset). Just sayin'
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I don't think a thread like this will help much.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>SmellyPants:</b></u>

I think I've seen one of those and I've been on here most days

My guess is that those threads aren't that popular, but you wish to shine on a light on them at this time?

Also anything I've complained about is strangely absent from the list so I'm guessing either you think my suggestions are legit whine/cry or I'm not being loud enough for you
  • JimmyJazzJimmyJazz Join Date: 2012-10-08 Member: 161833Members
    AGree 100% with the original poster.

The better you get, well, the better you get. That's it. If you don't know how to wall jump with skulk, get to it. If your aim with shotgun is poor against a wall jumper skulk, well, get to it.

It's all about mechanics.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    So... what exactly will this thread achieve?

You can't please all of the people all of the time. Somebody will always be willing to complain about 'balance' because their favourite lifeform isn't a solopwnmobile.

You can't change people's behavior.

You can choose which posts you read and which threads you respond to.
  • dota girldota girl Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167954Members
    Well your first mistake was coming here for interesting strategies when no such things exist in NS2
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    Just make everything more powerful than everything else. Problem solved
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welp, now we have threads complaining about the threads complaining about game balance.
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    edited November 2012
    "i played a couple hours and i have a good opinion on the game that people shall read"

that's pretty much summerize most posts on the forum but that's how it is everywhere (Tryn OP , for those who play LoL)

Anyway, as some of the people said, it shows people like to talk about the game which shows they care about it which is always nice.
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    Someone who has only played a few hours can have a good opinion on the game just as likely as it is that someone who has a thousand hours can have an absolutely horrible opinion on the game. Knowledge or expertise is not contingent on experience, though it certainly does help.
  • SnazzSnazz Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62482Members
    Feedback about the game is helpful when substantial, but here it does tend to be melodramatic and exaggerated.

Often cries of "horrible" imbalance that don't correlate to the aggregate win\loss stats.

Then you have some bashing the game basically because it's different from NS1.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019543:date=Nov 11 2012, 04:55 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Nov 11 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So... what exactly will this thread achieve?

You can't please all of the people all of the time. Somebody will always be willing to complain about 'balance' because their favourite lifeform isn't a solopwnmobile.

You can't change people's behavior.

You can choose which posts you read and which threads you respond to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe you misinterpreted my purpose. People complain when they don't get immediate feedback from their action. For example, if a person can't pick up how to play a skulk immediately they will assume they are failing because the marines are better. A lot of the 'imbalances' are players who simply lack the experience in utilizing what is built into the game to understand what they are complaining about.
  • dota girldota girl Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167954Members
    yep everyone who thinks NS2 has problems is a newbie who doesn't know as well as you. There's certainly not people who have played NS for 10 years who think there are problems with NS2. And if there are, clearly they aren't as smart as you and can't tell that NS2 is a different game (that coincidentally happens to be based almost entirely on gameplay elements of NS1) and therefore their complaints aren't applicable either. It's you alone who has the correct mindset in assessing NS2 and it's gameplay/balance.

Meanwhile in competitive play aliens are limited to going onos and losing games because of how unfinished and underpowered they are
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Public imbalance is easy to dismiss due to public player skill being average at best, it's much easier to see some of the blatant imbalance when you play with various competitive groups. Which is why you might see a lot of the skilled players 'complaining' about game balance, like fades being mostly useless.

I recommend playing with better players before complaining about their views on game balance.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019652:date=Nov 12 2012, 01:28 AM:name=SmellyPants)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmellyPants @ Nov 12 2012, 01:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe you misinterpreted my purpose. People complain when they don't get immediate feedback from their action. For example, if a person can't pick up how to play a skulk immediately they will assume they are failing because the marines are better. A lot of the 'imbalances' are players who simply lack the experience in utilizing what is built into the game to understand what they are complaining about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I truly don't mean this in a dismissive way, but what's your point? What are you trying to do about it?
  • HessianHessian Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72592Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019652:date=Nov 11 2012, 10:28 AM:name=SmellyPants)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmellyPants @ Nov 11 2012, 10:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe you misinterpreted my purpose. People complain when they don't get immediate feedback from their action. For example, if a person can't pick up how to play a skulk immediately they will assume they are failing because the marines are better. A lot of the 'imbalances' are players who simply lack the experience in utilizing what is built into the game to understand what they are complaining about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You have a purpose? Color me surprised.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019460:date=Nov 11 2012, 11:30 AM:name=Idleray)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Idleray @ Nov 11 2012, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. There's a lot of threads pertaining to balance, but some of the them do have a point. The reason why there aren't many thread discussing strategies is because alot of interesting strategies have been effectively blocked off atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they <u>ALL</u> think they have a point, and that's the root of the problem.

everyone has their own idea of fun and balance, therefore the only sensible identification of 'problem areas' is to use patterns from mass scale data, competitive data or the perceived intentions of the developers. everything else is basically "X is overpowered, because i said so!".
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Forums in any game community are prone to this sort of QQing. It is what most people use them for. Anyone who has an issue will come here to complain about it.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Creating a whining tread about whining posts achieves nothing.
    Locked.
This discussion has been closed.