Adding new features to the base game UI

BlacRyuBlacRyu Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53091Members
edited November 2012 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">Help me!</div>Howdy,
Is it possible in any way to mod the lua files for the client and still be able to play on official servers? I would like to make a UI mod that goes past just changing textures.

Comments

• PuzzlePuzzle Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169345Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Big fat obvious no due to cheating ability.
  • BlacRyuBlacRyu Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53091Members
    edited November 2012
    Sorry if it's not obvious to me as I only got into the game after release and didn't keep up with the development. Why exactly was that made impossible? There have been many competitive online games that allow players to mod the UI, including FPS games. What makes this one different? Was it a strict design decision made by the devs that having easier access to information would give players an unfair advantage, or is there some technical hurdle that makes it impossible to mod the UI without breaking the game?

And what sort of cheats would people be able to make if they were able to mod client files? Shouldn't the server handle any sensitive information such as damage and movespeed?

I just find it odd that this game seems so open to modding, but only to certain kinds of modding (ie: You can make your own game, but you can't touch ours. Except for textures).
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    The Engine from the game is closed-source, but the game itself is LUA-only and therefor open-source and you could modify ANYTHING to give yourself advantages on official servers, if there wouldn't be any consistency check.

Official Servers always and only keep the game experience vanilla and will most likely never allow Client-Side LUA mods.

Other games, as you say, allow those mods, but they are more restrictice in other terms, are closed-source, only have this specific part of the game made for modding (like the UI in World of Warcraft, based on LUA as well) and have anti-cheat engines running in the background and are developed in a totally different way.

If UWE would make the UI a seperate, mod-able part, which wouldn't be checked by consistency, then it would work...but so far, no.
  • BlacRyuBlacRyu Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53091Members
    Hrm... well that's disappointing. I guess I'll just have to post my idea as a suggestion and hope that the devs have the time to implement it into the game officially. Thanks for letting me know.