Aliens underpowered

brunoviekbrunoviek Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169148Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Marines overpowered</div>Hi, Do you guys realy think Aliens are underpowered?
I've been playing NS1 for years with aliens

but I just will buy the game if is balanced, or I will keep with the NS1
Share your opinion thanks.

Comments

• hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    edited November 2012
    They aren't underpowered so much as they're balanced kind of funny right now. They're much harder to use than Marines and there are a few life forms (like the fade) that are typically a poor investment right now. Onos and Gorge are pretty much in the right place and Lerks aren't too bad. Fades really aren't BAD either, just not worth what they cost. They certainly don't play like they used to.

NS2 and NS1 are very very different games, and NS2 has some flaws, but it's still definitely worth the $25
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Game balance in NS2 is still a work in progress. Much like the release of NS1, it will probably be some time before the game becomes well-balanced.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited November 2012
    I would say that they're pretty balanced...just not very fun to play unless you get something like this going:

<a href="http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/1135167000016906860/AEFFE141B7FCE863C8F43F706C5EE937610AD64B/" target="_blank">http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/11351670...5EE937610AD64B/</a>

For the record, we had another Onos and that was 16 minutes into the game.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019012:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:53 PM:name=hate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hate @ Nov 10 2012, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They aren't underpowered so much as they're balanced kind of funny right now. They're much harder to use than Marines and there are a few life forms (like the fade) that are typically a poor investment right now. Onos and Gorge are pretty much in the right place and Lerks aren't too bad. Fades really aren't BAD either, just not worth what they cost. They certainly don't play like they used to.

NS2 and NS1 are very very different games, and NS2 has some flaws, but it's still definitely worth the $25<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This.

NS2 is good, a lot of fun, but still needs more polish.
  • TimmahIsASaintTimmahIsASaint Join Date: 2012-09-24 Member: 160678Members
    edited November 2012
    lol woops misclick
    edited November 2012
    Buy it, balance isn't perfect and game pacing can be a little strange with tech booms but it is still tons of fun and an incredibly unique gaming experience as you probably know from NS1. Also the community in the game is incredible.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Skilled marines will beat equally skilled aliens most times. I've actually won on both sides several times, but losing on the alien side is the worst since it tends to drag on and on.
  • souldaTTTsouldaTTT Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164808Members
    What about if the Fades didn't need blink researched, I think that would make the cost of the fade more reasonable? Thoughts?
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019110:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:25 PM:name=souldaTTT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (souldaTTT @ Nov 10 2012, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about if the Fades didn't need blink researched, I think that would make the cost of the fade more reasonable? Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, I think that blink should be an innate skill for fades, but I don't think it makes any difference.
  • Heart1987Heart1987 Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169242Members
    Marines are not OP, but I think they need fixing on some cheap strategies they can adopt.
    I am rather new to the game but still I can't count how many times the game dragged on for 20+ minutes when marine were defending their last command center (with only one res point). This really tells us something, doesn't it?
    IMHO marines have some "SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM" strategies that doesn't make the game fun nor interesting, and can be abused to prolong the game/destroy the lategame.

The first strategy coming to my mind is granade spamming when difending your base. It's not like you are only throwing granades into halleys, you can also throw them into your own base when you are getting overrun. This makes it impossible for smaller aliens to survive more than one or two seconds when you are going for the final push. If you get lucky enough to take one nader down, well someone else will pick up the launcher and proceed with the granade barrage. I would love to see granades being the only weapon dealing friendly fire damage (not 100% ofc, maybe something from 10 to 25%). This would prevent spamming granades when your base is attacked, or at least it would make it not as much effective.

A second "spamming" strategy IMO is the mass MAC strategy. When they are welding an exo, my onos is totally screwed: I can't target the exo. No matter what, I will be attacking the stupid macs. I might be doing something wrong for sure, but this really looks a cheap trick to me.

Thoughts?
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    Marines are OP, aliens have no new life forms, less abilities, and the fade is incredibly useless and weak.

A skilled marine team will come out on top most the time against a skilled Alien team.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019142:date=Nov 10 2012, 11:01 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 10 2012, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines are OP, aliens have no new life forms, less abilities, and the fade is incredibly useless and weak.

A skilled marine team will come out on top most the time against a skilled Alien team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Marines got a few significant nerfs compared to NS1, res towers take twice the time to build, Heavy armor can't phase or beacon, obs requires the armory to be build first, and all guns have to be researched before they can be used or dropped. There is no HMG, the onos is godly now, you don't need gorges to babysit building structures anymore, and alien Tres usage allows for some crazy scenarios...

So yeah, things sound bad when you very selectively only list the changes that you personally dislike.

Balance is about as unequal as it was in NS1.
    <!--quoteo(post=2019161:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:31 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 10 2012, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines got a few significant nerfs compared to NS1, res towers take twice the time to build, Heavy armor can't phase or beacon, obs requires the armory to be build first, and all guns have to be researched before they can be used or dropped. There is no HMG, the onos is godly now, you don't need gorges to babysit building structures anymore, and alien Tres usage allows for some crazy scenarios...

So yeah, things sound bad when you very selectively only list the changes that you personally dislike.

Balance is about as unequal as it was in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I feel like they balanced the wrong things ? Like the increase build time for RTs and the ~45 seconds to remake a power node is just not fun for anyone. Or the Alien Spawn system, why is it when I have 24 eggs I still have to wait 12 seconds to spawn and then more time to evolve again ? Too much waiting in my opinion on both Marines and Aliens.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Game just got released. Even when StarCraft 2 got released it was horribly imbalanced, Terran was near unbeatable for Zerg players and the pros played terrible compared to today.

Imo, Skulk and Fade could use some more work with a slight buff to Lerk survivability, making them a bit more resistant to shotguns. Skulk wall jumping increased (heard that it's being tweaked), Skulk slight armor increase, a Fade HP boost and a bit more damage, 4 swipes to take out a 3/3 marine is pretty rough in a team game and most marines aren't going to be alone or far from a base with phase gates everywhere.

The only aspects of marines that I think totally ###### on aliens is the cost effectiveness of the shotgun and jetpacks. 25 res for shotty and 20 for jetpack would be better. Atm, it seems like shotgun does pretty well against anything and that isn't good. GL are weak in melee, flamethrowers aren't very good vs onos or lerks, LMG is an all-purpose weapon, Exo is weak when unsupported but shotguns are good everywhere. Jetpacks seem to have zero recharge, it's like being able to blink across the map almost non-stop.

Not to say Aliens aren't OP in some areas but they are more recognizably weaker in certain periods and mechanics.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019140:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:58 PM:name=Heart1987)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heart1987 @ Nov 10 2012, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines are not OP, but I think they need fixing on some cheap strategies they can adopt.
    I am rather new to the game but still I can't count how many times the game dragged on for 20+ minutes when marine were defending their last command center (with only one res point). This really tells us something, doesn't it?
    IMHO marines have some "SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM" strategies that doesn't make the game fun nor interesting, and can be abused to prolong the game/destroy the lategame.

The first strategy coming to my mind is granade spamming when difending your base. It's not like you are only throwing granades into halleys, you can also throw them into your own base when you are getting overrun. This makes it impossible for smaller aliens to survive more than one or two seconds when you are going for the final push. If you get lucky enough to take one nader down, well someone else will pick up the launcher and proceed with the granade barrage. I would love to see granades being the only weapon dealing friendly fire damage (not 100% ofc, maybe something from 10 to 25%). This would prevent spamming granades when your base is attacked, or at least it would make it not as much effective.

A second "spamming" strategy IMO is the mass MAC strategy. When they are welding an exo, my onos is totally screwed: I can't target the exo. No matter what, I will be attacking the stupid macs. I might be doing something wrong for sure, but this really looks a cheap trick to me.

Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1st: Turning on friendly fire is a bad idea. The marines shouldn't have to hurt themselves in order for the aliens to win. Currently, the best counter I can think of for this strategy is destroy the armory so they can't get ammo for recycled weapons. Just hope the marine com isn't feeling generous and starts handing out spare ammo packs to make up for it.

2nd: Bile bomb.

Marine using the same attacks over and over is pretty annoying and boring to play against; I agree. I wish marines had more options to them so that they would have more reasons to mix up tactics, but the aliens could use more variety too. I don't think I've seen a single win for the aliens that doesn't rely on onos or early base rushing.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    As I have said before and I will say again, the game is not done, alien's are missing stuff.