Marine PoV: Hydras

buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
I mostly play Gorge because I love supoort & utility roles in pretty much every game.

I personally noticed Hydras being weak, even when stacking them in threes and in clever spots.
I don't know whether the problem is: raw damage, RoF, accuracy or something else.

My <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->question<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is: how do Marines feel about Hydras and how much of a threat are they in early,mid,late game?

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    They become exponentially more deadly with a gorge. Without a gorge it takes like 1 lmg clip to kill a hydra, with a gorge 1 lmg marine simply cant kill it because the heal is too fast and even 2 will have trouble.
  • PureHostilityPureHostility Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167579Members
    The problem I have with hydras....they are easily countered by just strafing... They can't hit you at all then... or at least I haven't noticed them hitting me at all!

Standing still ? Yes, they do some damage, but when moving around, they have super hard time hitting anything.
    I would seriously want to see them having hitscan shoting but with lower damage, so you can't really dodge them that easily... :(
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018585:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:33 PM:name=PureHostility)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PureHostility @ Nov 10 2012, 07:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem I have with hydras....they are easily countered by just strafing... They can't hit you at all then... or at least I haven't noticed them hitting me at all!

Standing still ? Yes, they do some damage, but when moving around, they have super hard time hitting anything.
    I would seriously want to see them having hitscan shoting but with lower damage, so you can't really dodge them that easily... :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what I was suspecting...

I'd like to see Hydra's damage pop up in the Gorge's UI, as of now I have a hard time understanding how much damage is being dealt.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    hydra's really do burn through the marine's ammo - especially if the gorge is healing them.

i think a possible tweak without making them more powerful, would be to simply have 2 of the resources refunded to you if you 'destroy' it - by holding E.

i was kinda underwhelmed when i realised that you don't get resources refunded from removing them... i mean why even give the option to remove if you get 0 resources, might as well just re-deploy.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018594:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:45 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 10 2012, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hydra's really do burn through the marine's ammo - especially if the gorge is healing them.

i think a possible tweak without making them more powerful, would be to simply have 2 of the resources refunded to you if you 'destroy' it - by holding E.

i was kinda underwhelmed when i realised that you don't get resources refunded from removing them... i mean why even give the option to remove if you get 0 resources, might as well just re-deploy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Removing a specific hydra can still be useful.

If I put hydras in this order: A, B, C and I want to redeploy B, I can simply destroy B.
    Without that option I'd have to redeploy A (-3 res) and then redeploy B (-3 res).

But yea, some res refund would be nice.
    Also, I'd like to remove structures from higher distances, at least as much as one can deploy them.
    It's impossible to remove Hydras on ceilings, unless building some silly clog towers.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2018579:date=Nov 10 2012, 09:30 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Nov 10 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They become exponentially more deadly with a gorge. Without a gorge it takes like 1 lmg clip to kill a hydra, with a gorge 1 lmg marine simply cant kill it because the heal is too fast and even 2 will have trouble.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure if a patch has changed this, but I think 2 clips takes a hydra out even with a gorge healspamming it. So all you need is 1 med and 1 ammo clip (2 res) from comm to kill all 3 hydras a gorge is protecting.

Yeah, I do not feel threatened by hydras at all. They just slow you down a little.
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    its just defense.. its not supposed to rake up the kills. If you put them in clever spots they will be useful.
  • Draco HoustonDraco Houston Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167145Members
    Try not to think of your 3 hydras as the tf2 engineer's upgraded sentry gun, they are a temporary area denial tool. Alone they are really weak, as you've noticed, but if you can get them in a really good place where marines need to stand, and they are too busy fighting your teammates to bring down the hydras, they will have to pull back. If you place them where the marines will have to go if they want to advance it makes it much harder for them to do so, provided you aren't all alone. But even 1v2 with a nice clog wall up and a long clear line of fire and plenty of cover to run into a gorge can be a real pain in the arse to dislodge.

Also, if the marines coming for you and your hydras have gotten bile bomb all over them they are going to take more damage. I guess my advice is just don't rely on the hydras to hold an area down, they're just another tool in your little gorge toolbox (someone make a gorge hard hat mod please!)
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018579:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:30 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Nov 10 2012, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They become exponentially more deadly with a gorge. Without a gorge it takes like 1 lmg clip to kill a hydra, with a gorge 1 lmg marine simply cant kill it because the heal is too fast and even 2 will have trouble.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nah, thats wrong.
    1 Clip into gorge will result in a easy Hydra kill.
    Hydras are useless compared to the price of them, that is right.
    These things are easy to kill and if there is a bunch of marines, it stops them just for a second.
    Also you can sneak behind a corner to kill them.
    A good example is, if one marine rush into that room and the marine commander drop one single Medpack, while all marines kill the hydras, the marien is healed.
    Remember a medpack cost 1 res, same as cysts of alien commander and the alien commander have spend more cysts then the marine commander.
    Mines are more usefull then hydras but cost 2 res more but they instantkill a alien if he is unlucky.

@Mestaritonttu
    Tell me...please tell me what the heck is healspamming?
    How is it spaming if you have a low limit?
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    The biggest flaw with Hydras is that it's almost impossible to justify their cost.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    As a marine you have to look and hear what is next to the hydras and behind them. Some times ts just better to run past the hydras take the damage and kill the groges behind them. Hydras vs. new and veteran players act very different.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2018665:date=Nov 10 2012, 08:07 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Nov 10 2012, 08:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure if a patch has changed this, but I think 2 clips takes a hydra out even with a gorge healspamming it. So all you need is 1 med and 1 ammo clip (2 res) from comm to kill all 3 hydras a gorge is protecting.

Yeah, I do not feel threatened by hydras at all. They just slow you down a little.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i don't think this is true.

i could be wrong of course, but my thoughts are immediately drawn to a situation on pub server where i used clog climbing through the vent to 'flank' a marine-controlled nanogrid on veil (totally not serious, just thought it would be funny), and put hydras in the vent opening... a single marine couldn't kill the hydra - but my hydra weren't in range/angle to hit him so i was nothing more than a nuisance :)

when he reloaded his AR, i was able to catch up the healing - even when my energy was fully drained and i was relying on the regen i was able to keep it alive for 3-4 clips at least.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018680:date=Nov 10 2012, 01:14 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 10 2012, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018680"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The biggest flaw with Hydras is that it's almost impossible to justify their cost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The cost would be fine if the gorge could sell their hydras and get that 3 p res back. It only makes sense, marines can sell their turrets, aliens can move their whips why can't gorges move of sell their hydras without using more p res?
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    hydras are a little too easy.
    take that comment how you wish - it may be read from any side to be true.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    When I see a Hydra, I feel sorry for the Gorge that wasted 3 resources on a building that does nothing.
  • Draco HoustonDraco Houston Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167145Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018705:date=Nov 11 2012, 06:48 AM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 11 2012, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cost would be fine if the gorge could sell their hydras and get that 3 p res back. It only makes sense, marines can sell their turrets, aliens can move their whips why can't gorges move of sell their hydras without using more p res?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Marines don't get their 3 mines back if nothing sets them off, I guess it's only fair. It adds some opportunity cost to using them beyond the setup time, are you going to be fighting in that room long enough to justify 9 pres?
  • spaceturtlespaceturtle Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154714Members
    Hydras have been tweaked a lot back and forth since beta. They were incredibly powerful at one point but despawned when you switched to another lifeform. Then they were changed to be weaker as they are now, but remain even if you switch to a skulk for example (after placing them). I suspect that they will be tweaked again, and likely boosted in strength. But only UWE knows for sure.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hydras are little distractions that become negligible by armor 3.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    hydras are a 30 second distraction from the gorge, resource tower, or hive i was going to.
    Really, they need to be a threat so when someone says 'hydras', we step back instead of charge forward.
  • Firepower01Firepower01 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154658Members
    They really only serve as a deterrent if there's a gorge with them. I feel like they aren't good enough to warrant 3pres for them though.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Marines get infinite mines, Gorges should get infinite Hydras. It's not like walls of them can't be countered by GLs, ARCs, or just moving left to right as you shoot.
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018680:date=Nov 10 2012, 03:14 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 10 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018680"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The biggest flaw with Hydras is that it's almost impossible to justify their cost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Uh, I never bothered to look and assumed that they didn't cost pres because they're so weak... the fact that they apparently cost 3 res each just makes me laugh because an unupgraded marine can take them out solo in most circumstances.

They're worth putting down if you want to permagorge, I guess. The biggest issue I have with them is that people seem to put them down in the middle of corridors when they're clearly intended to be used for their damage, rather than as a blockage.
  • Firepower01Firepower01 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154658Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018783:date=Nov 10 2012, 05:03 PM:name=RabidWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RabidWeasel @ Nov 10 2012, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uh, I never bothered to look and assumed that they didn't cost pres because they're so weak... the fact that they apparently cost 3 res each just makes me laugh because an unupgraded marine can take them out solo in most circumstances.

They're worth putting down if you want to permagorge, I guess. The biggest issue I have with them is that people seem to put them down in the middle of corridors when they're clearly intended to be used for their damage, rather than as a blockage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I always thought they were free also, 3pres is just... wayyy too much
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Just wanted to point out that the ammo it takes to kill them, and the time it takes to kill them, varies with Marine upgrades.

A stock Marine with no upgrades will take a short time to clean them out, and be down enough ammo to be a concern for him without an active commander.

A Marine with any upgrades at all, let alone a shotgun (or a pistol FFS) will simply wipe the floor with them. It doesn't even take a whole LMG clip at higher upgrades to blow Hydra's away with ease. One clip might even get two with a shot or two from a pistol. The worst part is that the armor upgrades render Hydra's a wasted investment for 9 P.Res. They will never kill an Armor 3 marine, ever, without skulks swarming over them just a few feet from the Hydra's. I can't even say that the Hydra's will make a difference for those skulks either.

I think making the Gorge spit ability hit-scan would negate a lot of the downsides to Hydra's, since the Hydra's seem to be a complement to the gorge attacking rather than the other way around. Spit being slow enough for even a crappy Marine to dodge with impunity is more of the issue.

Also, I've been told that Hydra's are hit scan. I can't say for sure, since I usually don't even feel them as a Marine and can't see damage numbers as a Gorge.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    as marine i think hydras are laughable, i yet have to die from them. like not even a cluster of 6 is realy scary, or can fend off marines for longer than 5 seconds
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    They should up the hydra limit based on the number of hives perhaps (although I feel there's too much based on that already, unlike command stations) and make them auto-grow off infestation. Having the healspray them off infestation feels like an arbitrary chore at this point.
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I miss offence chambers.... a couple of them in a room would be enough for a marine to stay away and not even run through them.
  • PF_PF_ Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169217Members
    I think that hydras would be more useful if Gorge was able to build at last 5 of them. Or have the ability to upgrade them to more HP or faster shooting.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018895:date=Nov 10 2012, 05:16 PM:name=PF_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PF_ @ Nov 10 2012, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018895"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...Or have the ability to upgrade them to more HP or faster shooting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ding ding ding! Give the man a prize!

Seriously though, I like this idea.