Late game alien strategy

Snypr18Snypr18 Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168566Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Explain.</div>Can someone please explain late game alien strategy to me. As far as I can tell the only answer is Onos spam, as the other alien units are completely outgunned, and in a lot of cases even out maneuvered by jetpacks.

I mean really, it seems that once the marines get jetpacks, armor / weapon boosts, and shotguns, the skulks are done. I spent all night tonight watching marines out run skulk groups, not the other way around. Toss in a one shot weapon and it makes for a real entertaining time.

Comments

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Late-game strategy: Bile bomb vs. macs/exos, Spores + Spikes + Fades vs. jetpackers, Oni (sprayed with umbra) against exos/jetpackers.

But yeah, if jetpacks are out and you're a skulk, you're not going to have a good time :-) .
  • minos_minos_ Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165722Members
    Yeah, the optimal strategy is pretty much onos spam with a gorge or two thrown in. Skulks do good damage but are too squishy to last in lategame unless you LOVE chewing extractors. Lerk is sorta kinda a little useful with spores and a bit more useful with umbra, but nobody wants to play an expensive lifeform that flies around spamming gas and gets killed in one hit by gl/shotgun. Fades are pretty bad anywhere past the ten minute mark and just get worse as you enter lategame.

Onii have enough health that they can make decent pushes; the gorges help heal the onii. But the key is that gorges need to have bile bomb. While all the marines shoot the onii, two gorges bile the power. You CAN win with just bile bomb or just onii, but the two together make up the only real lategame solution aliens have against turtling marines.
  • Snypr18Snypr18 Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168566Members
    edited November 2012
    That does not make any sense to me. All marine equipment, including the assault rifle, is very viable until the end of the game. It makes no sense that the skulk (especially since it is the default alien class) stands such little chance late game.
  • Draco HoustonDraco Houston Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167145Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2018612:date=Nov 11 2012, 05:03 AM:name=Snypr18)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snypr18 @ Nov 11 2012, 05:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That does not make any sense to me. All marine equipment, including the assault rifle, is very viable until the end of the game. It makes no sense that the skulk (especially since it is the default alien class) stands such little chance late game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Skulks and fades stand more of a chance if they rush in after the onos and get back out. A good lerk or fade is invaluable for getting rid of jetpackers. As others have mentioned you need gorges with bile bomb to take down structures (they are actually the alien siege unit, onos is a meat shield). I'm by no means an expert but it seems like the intention is the onos/onii runs in and get in the marine's faces and everyone else does their job and gets out before the onos backs out/dies. All the mechanics are there, but people would rather save up for onos than spend 50 res on a fade they are likely to lose. IMO the pres costs are a little too high for their roles.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    There's nothing I love more to have on my team than a Skulk that keeps sniping those undefended RT's behind enemy lines. It's not a lot of fun, but it really wins the game. Also, it keeps you alive, which means you accumulate more res. (You don't gain res while dead.)

Hint: When a marine comes to defend the RT, just leap like crazy and run to another RT. Don't try to kill him.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018081:date=Nov 10 2012, 05:29 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 10 2012, 05:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Late-game strategy: Bile bomb vs. macs/exos, Spores + Spikes + Fades vs. jetpackers, Oni (sprayed with umbra) against exos/jetpackers.

But yeah, if jetpacks are out and you're a skulk, you're not going to have a good time :-) .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You had me until Fades vs Jetpackers.
  • dota girldota girl Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167954Members
    late game alium strategy is alot like early game alium strategery: onos
  • Snypr18Snypr18 Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168566Members
    edited November 2012
    I appreciate the discussion.

What is the best way to combat the jetpackers then? The lerk takes quite a while to take them down, in which time they can easily float away on the jets and re-heal. Follow them and you get a face full of lead which kills in no time flat.

I have tried fade only a few times so I really dont have enough experience to give an opinion on them.

It really seems to me like the aliens are designed only to harass jetpack infantry but never kill them.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    Late game Alien strategy: Onos and Bile Bomb spam.

Late game Marine strategy: Nothing, because Marines cap out in power once they're at 3/3 with jetpacks. If they haven't ended the game by the time the Aliens start getting Onos, they're boned.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2018634:date=Nov 10 2012, 12:21 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 10 2012, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You had me until Fades vs Jetpackers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Theoretically, it works really well. Blink up to them and swipe.

In practice, with the removal of vertical shadowstep, the FPS improvements, and the delay after blinking fades are not very enjoyable to play lately.

There were some hints from Charlie in the tourney today that fades might see buffs, and that blink was "accidentally regressed" to some previous state and "will be fixed" in the upcoming patch or two.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk spores. Gorge BileBomb. And yes. Onos.

It is a mix and very good teamplay to get a coordinated push up. Spamming onos isn't all.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    I think that Lerks are the best counter to JP's, Fades are good against...well they can do ok when they...I mean a good player does great if....you know screw it Fades are useless. Go lerk, fart everywhere, then grab the JP's face and give him some love.

End game strategy for Aliens varies depending on the Marines. If they go Jetpack drop lerks/fades while your team spends P.Res on Onos/Gorge. If their team goes Exo spend your resources on Onos/Gorge. If they do neither, or you're winning hands-down, invest in Onos/Gorge and one or two Lerks simply for Umbra.

Otherwise, the key to alien commander is to constantly expand your cysts while capping nodes and upgrading alien abilities. And don't forget to get the upgrades, far too many new alien commanders can't seem to grasp that abilities and upgrades win games. You can have every resource node except two and still fail without upgrades and abilities.

Paper Onos for the loss!
  • TimmahIsASaintTimmahIsASaint Join Date: 2012-09-24 Member: 160678Members
    edited November 2012
    Don't forget Lurk spikes! If everyone is focusing onos its pretty easy to snipe jet packers with the dastardly spikes.

Also "Hey you have a grenade laucher?" WELL I FLY!!!! Its really fun going one on one with grenade launchers vs lurks !