I consider myself lucky when I find a server

Merciless OneMerciless One Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168344Members
I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but whenever I load up the game, at first, a huge server list pops up.

I try to join a NS2 Official server, I get backed out to main menu, "Couldn't establish connection", try again, and lo and behold, the server list is not populating.

Ok... Give it a min, oh, here's some servers, try, "Couldn't establish connection" or "Server full", try again, the list doesn't populate at all, and I'm forced to restart the client and Steam.

When I do finally find a server, I breathe a sigh of relief, as I'm finally able to play the game. Is there any way around this so I don't have to jump through hoops to join a match?

And my Internet speed is a non issue. 25 down, 4 up.

Comments

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Maybe it's the redplugofdoom issue you're having?

Have a read <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124069" target="_blank">overhere</a>.

Also, you may want to use some of the browser-filters....like Don't Show Empty.
    And set a ping-limit...I have mine on <200ms, and still get plenty of servers.
  • Merciless OneMerciless One Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168344Members
    edited November 2012
    My filters are as follows:

Filter modded: Checked
    Performance: 100%
    Max Ping: Unlimited
    Filter empty: Checked
    Filter full: Checked

And I'm still trying to find a match... for over half an hour now. :/

I really like this game... That's why I'm still trying. But there is a point where it becomes ridiculous. lol
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    drop the performance filter to 95%.
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    You should consider lowering the performance-filter a bit. I doubt there are any servers out there, that actually have 100% all the time.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2018354:date=Nov 10 2012, 05:06 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Nov 10 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->drop the performance filter to 95%.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is very likely to be the top cause of your problem. Set it to 90% and you should be able to find at least a dozen or more servers. Performance can always drop a bit during (large) games. 90% performance means the server still has a tick rate of 27, which isn't bad at all.
  • Merciless OneMerciless One Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168344Members
    I dropped it down to 90%, but it's still not letting me connect. I even try connecting to a server that has like 14/20, but it still says "Couldn't establish connection with the server". And after about 2 Refreshes, the list doesn't populate at all.

This is the worst I've seen since release. All the other times, it'd take me a couple of tries and restarts, but this is just a lot now.
  • UnaimedUnaimed Join Date: 2011-01-09 Member: 76801Members
    edited November 2012
    I think I know what is happening, and it's probably not specific to NS2. I had the same issue with Red Orchestra 2.

When you refresh your server list you receive a list of servers from the master list server. Your NS2 client then sends a small request to each server and the servers reply with details such as number of players, map and performance. Ping is determined from the response time.*

Assuming the master list has 400 servers your client will make 400 connections at pretty much the same time. This can trigger "spam/DoS blocking algorithms" in routers/modems which then interfere with outgoing connections. This might be why "connecting to server" fails, your router/modem is blocking the connection. I get the same problem but only after a couple of refreshes. My internet then barely works for a few minutes but I can fix it manually by restarting my router.

Steam has a setting to prevent this issue, "Game server browser: max pings / minute" but I don't know if NS2 uses it.

If you have the ip of a server I think you can connect directly to it from the console (bypassing the server list). I don't know the command unfortunately.

Log on to your router/modem and see if you can disable any kind of "spam/DoS blocking algorithms".

* I'm just making an educated guess at how it works. Specifics might differ.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    I have also been getting issues populating the server list after a failed connection/full server. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does sometimes even a restart of the game does not solve the issue.

It's definitely not the filters. I've messed with them plenty.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2018424:date=Nov 10 2012, 06:26 PM:name=Unaimed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unaimed @ Nov 10 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    If you have the ip of a server I think you can connect directly to it from the console (bypassing the server list). I don't know the command unfortunately.
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In console, just type "connect" followed by a space and the IP address of the server.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    WHY CAN'T YOU PASTE INTO THE CONSOLE UWE. This is so frustrating.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Server browser does wat it wants.