Marines and Aliens start with Base defense

biggiansbiggians Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168454Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Because rushing is stupid and not fun</div>Nobody has fun when the aliens just rush into the marine base, munch the power node out, and GG the command station. I'd say the same for when the marines rush, but lol, that never happens and the aliens could still get to the marine base and kill it faster than un-upgraded ARs ever will. Anyway, the point is, nobody has fun when one team rushes and wins because the other team was far away setting up extractors and power and they run slow so they cant get back to base in time and... you get the idea.

For balance sake, i'm going to say that both teams start with base defense, although I really, REALLY, think only the marines need it. Not a lot, maybe like 3 sentries(with 2 batteries, since hydras don't have a battery weakness) around the command station/3 hydras around the hive. Enough to deter all but the heaviest of rushes, and enough so that when the commander on either side sees it happening, he has a chance to clean up along with the base defenses to prevent this stupid and silly tactic.

Thoughts?

Comments

• DogfaceDogface Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167225Members
    Hmm, the trouble with this is that it would also impact early-game harassment, which I think is a more important part of gameplay than the occasional full-on base rush. On the other hand, gorges can build hydras straight away, so maybe some kind of equivalent for the marines would even things out...

Maybe the CC itself could let you place one or two sentries next to it (at a resource cost), just to provide a slight deterrent?
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    All marines should start in a dual exo and aliens spawn as onos.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i'm 100% against this idea, it's awful.

what you're asking for is a fail-safe anti-failure measure.

if the marine team don't epic fail, this never happens.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017148:date=Nov 9 2012, 01:04 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 01:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nobody has fun when the aliens just rush into the marine base, munch the power node out, and GG the command station. I'd say the same for when the marines rush, but lol, that never happens and the aliens could still get to the marine base and kill it faster than un-upgraded ARs ever will. Anyway, the point is, nobody has fun when one team rushes and wins because the other team was far away setting up extractors and power and they run slow so they cant get back to base in time and... you get the idea.

For balance sake, i'm going to say that both teams start with base defense, although I really, REALLY, think only the marines need it. Not a lot, maybe like 3 sentries(with 2 batteries, since hydras don't have a battery weakness) around the command station/3 hydras around the hive. Enough to deter all but the heaviest of rushes, and enough so that when the commander on either side sees it happening, he has a chance to clean up along with the base defenses to prevent this stupid and silly tactic.

Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marine rush.

Never happens.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • KoduKodu Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 167017Members
    Biggians dont take this the wrong way, but your ideas are bad. The rushing team is extremely behind if they fail, its a gambit strat and is part of the game. Now im sure in pub games people are bad and they dont react well enough and you have some frustrating lossess but thats simply not enough to go on and completely change the early metagame not only that but early base defense honestly probably wouldn't do much in this situation as sentry's are fairly easy to play around as well are hydras :/ and if you think "marine rushes never happen" you obviously haven't played enough games quite yet so give it time before you make threads like this about balance.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017148:date=Nov 9 2012, 05:04 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nobody has fun when the aliens just rush into the marine base, munch the power node out, and GG the command station. I'd say the same for when the marines rush, but lol, that never happens and the aliens could still get to the marine base and kill it faster than un-upgraded ARs ever will. Anyway, the point is, nobody has fun when one team rushes and wins because the other team was far away setting up extractors and power and they run slow so they cant get back to base in time and... you get the idea.

Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2017600:date=Nov 9 2012, 10:57 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 9 2012, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marine rush.

Never happens.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • biggiansbiggians Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168454Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017654:date=Nov 9 2012, 04:42 PM:name=Kodu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kodu @ Nov 9 2012, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The rushing team is extremely behind if they fail, its a gambit strat and is part of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    only the marine team falls behind from a full out rush, it is an almost strictly advantageous opening move for the aliens, as it forces the marines to stop everything they are doing and return to base, costing valuable early game time for marine expansion. Since the Alien commander doesn't need people to build his structures for him, you can see why a rush heavily favors aliens.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017654:date=Nov 9 2012, 04:42 PM:name=Kodu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kodu @ Nov 9 2012, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now im sure in pub games people are bad and they dont react well enough and you have some frustrating losses but that's simply not enough to go on and completely change the early metagame<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is no proper reaction on the marine side, at the very start of the game marines must go out to build structures, with MAYBE 1 marine and the commander staying in base to build a few things. as the marines are easily expanding and building around, the aliens make it into the base and start munching on the command center, every single marine turns around to head back, but its too late. by the time they get there the CC has 5% health left at best. On docking as marines, I've been as close as departures and I still couldn't get back in time to kill any of them. A counter rush is also pointless because again, due to Marines moving slow when compared to skulks, they would never make it to the hive, let alone deal enough damage to make a difference. Skill has nothing to do with stopping a skulk rush, it's completely unpredictable, and unless for some magical reason all of your marines have gone nowhere since the game started, the skulks will easily deal serious damage and probably win.

A fair enough argument is that this would be a non-issue in competitive play. I agree, but not because it wouldn't work. Rather, something as simple and straightforward as a rush would be looked at as a childish tactic and poor sportsmanship, as there is no skill in rushing into a base and munching something to death while the other team is trying to be tactical and advance.

Early harassment is great, but the game isn't meant to be over in the first 5 minutes of gameplay, and early harassment is possible in more ways than directly attacking the CC/Hive, such as killing the first few extractors/harvesters that get placed.

My idea is far from bad, in fact its rooted in lots of personal experiences. I've played close to 50 games, (each game lasts roughly a half hour or more not counting rushes, so that's roughly 25 hours of in-game experience) so it's not as if I've lost to one or two rushes and decided to come here and rage about it. From my experience it heavily favors the aliens and ruins the fun of the game, so why not give both teams some kind of defense against it so a rush is a less desirable option? Someone said it themselves, its not as if the turrets or hydras are a major deterrent, but at least it's something.

Admittedly, it would seem that I end up in games that most people say never happen. An example would be that in almost every game i've played, the Aliens have won, yet people constantly tell me that Marines win more often. People also say that Marines do rushes too, but I have yet to see one. Granted, I haven't been playing since beta like some people have.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think they should. Tbh on aliens this isn't much of a problem, you can just have the com go gorge and drop some hydras.

On marines however, it's possible to have the base rushed before you can get mines. Lowering the reserach time or maybe starting with armory could fix that (+ res adjustment possibly). Otherwise I don't think anything needs to be done.

<!--quoteo(post=2017415:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:10 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 9 2012, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if the marine team don't epic fail, this never happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wrong. Even in competive games, where neither team is "epic fail", alien team can rush by being smart about it.
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    Commander places armory and begins to research mines. Marines meanwhile go claim 2 nearest resource point, ready to immediately run back to base. After research is complete, marines go back, each of them buy the mines and place them near entrances, vents and important buildings and then goes on their merry way.

Congratulations! You just hard-countered skulk rush without even needing to be there.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017706:date=Nov 9 2012, 07:27 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A fair enough argument is that this would be a non-issue in competitive play. I agree, but not because it wouldn't work. Rather, something as simple and straightforward as a rush would be looked at as a childish tactic and poor sportsmanship, as there is no skill in rushing into a base and munching something to death while the other team is trying to be tactical and advance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Reading that just made me laugh a little. I'm not dissing your idea, in fact I'm modding in something vaguely similar, but there was a tournament about 2 weeks before launch day where one game literally lasted 56 seconds. :P

<!--quoteo(post=2017706:date=Nov 9 2012, 07:27 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From my experience it heavily favors the aliens and ruins the fun of the game, so why not give both teams some kind of defense against it so a rush is a less desirable option? Someone said it themselves, its not as if the turrets or hydras are a major deterrent, but at least it's something.

Admittedly, it would seem that I end up in games that most people say never happen. An example would be that in almost every game i've played, the Aliens have won, yet people constantly tell me that Marines win more often. People also say that Marines do rushes too, but I have yet to see one. Granted, I haven't been playing since beta like some people have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marine rushes are a little more uncommon than alien rushes, but still just as effective. As often as marine base will be deserted in the first twenty seconds, the alien base is usually deserted twice as often twice as fast. All you need is three marines to go in there and egg-lock you, and you might as well call GG. Sure, the aliens could double back and try to get back to the hive before they can kill it, but that puts them all arriving at different time and completely removes their ability to surprise the marines. And by this point, usually the rest of the marines have figured out what's going on and head up to the hive as well.
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    No beacon for Aliens either plus their upgrade shell's have very low health compared to Marine ones around 350hp. If you kill it its worth 15 res and if upgraded thats 30 res gone.
  • t0fut0fu Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170615Members
    Horrible Idea. Perhaps you should play aliens a few times rather than rant about how you QQ every time aliens mount a successful and effective rush. Commanders expect their boys to be able to hold off an early skulk invasion.

Part of the crucial early gameplay for alien is skulk harassment. Without this, the marines are just free to go get res, res and more res.

Checks and balances.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    The threat of skulk rush is the only thing that prevents marines from expanding even more ridiculously fast. Aliens expand at a snails pace compared to them.