"Last Weapon Equipped" key

DavinjaxDavinjax Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156779Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Just a feature request</div>Since it is now post release, I'd like to request an optional "last weapon equipped" keybind.

It's a rather prevalent feature in FPS games, and I use it extensively in any game where I want to swap weapons quickly without thinking about it.

The feature isn't necessary. That fact I am willing to concede with no argument.

Such a feature would, however, be useful to players like me who habitually make use of such a keybind in other FPS games. It makes weapon management easier on us in the heat of combat.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Comments

• Sobe GreenSobe Green Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 167013Members
    I definitely want this. I'm a WASD player and by habit in almost all FPS games I'll rebind a flashlight or whatever I need and use F as my "last used weapon" key. I find myself often flashing my flashlight at a skulk right as he finishes me. Unfortunately these aliens are not vampires and do no fear my flashlight in the slightest bit. I've slowly gotten used to not using it but it is a main staple in almost all FPS games. I'd like to have it in this one.
  • cobalt503cobalt503 Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167619Members
    edited November 2012
    BUMP!! PLEASE

I need this key for pro play :*(

EDIT!! sobe green created an account to make the same statement I created an account for.. that has to say something.. If we go through the effort to give our info at least give us a key binding..

IMHO I shouldn't have to look for a script of sorts to suffice :)
  • Reyn89Reyn89 Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153985Members
    Agreed. I was surprised to find that there wasn't already a binding for this.

Cheers
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    We've been asking for a long while, last I saw UWE said 'sure would be easy'... and nothing. Hopefully this thread keeps being bumped people will remember.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    UWE have promised they will add this since back early in the Beta...

Unfortunately it seems to have been buried under the shedloads of other great ideas for post 1.0. I am sure it will be implemented one day.... someone will remember it :)
  • DavinjaxDavinjax Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156779Members
    I'm glad that community response has been positive.

Please show any further support you can, even if all you post is "+1".

To the programmers who play around with the Spark engine: How difficult would this be to mod clientside? Perhaps we could get a workaround script whitelisted and then implemented...
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016003:date=Nov 8 2012, 05:59 PM:name=Davinjax)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davinjax @ Nov 8 2012, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To the programmers who play around with the Spark engine: How difficult would this be to mod clientside? Perhaps we could get a workaround script whitelisted and then implemented...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's exactly the problem right there.

It'd probably be <i>so</i> easy to implement, no one's going to spend their time to do it. Not to mention, modding your files marks you as... Well, modded. Meaning, you couldn't join any vanilla servers.
  • gl0begl0be Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22620Members, Constellation
    bump for last used weapon needed
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I am 99.9% certain that I read one of the Dev's saying that they currently are out of assignable keys and it would require some engine changes but they definitely want to do it.

I will search for the post and link back.

Correction it was not a dev it was a play-tester.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121449" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=121449</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is currently a hard limit on how many keybindings can be in the engine. that limit has been reached. So its either jump or last weapon ;)

Don't worry, its something that can be fixed after 1.0, but with the feature freeze now it would be a change that is too big. But with the amount of people (internal and external) asking for it, it will surely come.

In the meantime, i have weapons 1,2 and 3 bound to mouse 3,4 and 5. works perfectly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members

Hard limit for key bindings?

I've never heard of any Engine with such a thing...I can go put every key on my Keyboard bound to something in Quake, Unreal, Goldsrc, Source, ectera...

That's so weird...and the Engine needs to be revamped...to add a new key binding?

Damn, I knew Spark was rough around the edges due to the small development team...but COME ON! This has been asked for since the first playable beta.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017478:date=Nov 9 2012, 04:07 PM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Nov 9 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hard limit for key bindings?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that is quite unbelievable
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    Yeah, I hope you can have functions bound to two keys at once sometime in the future too.

A menumod that's out there allows this but gets turned off by server consistency. :(
    You mean it was "Last Weapon Equipped" or "Call for Ammo like a chimpanzee rather than use voice coms like a rational human being" ?

I mean, I rebound my reload key to also be my evolve key because you never reload as the alien team. I also noticed that I can't simply unbind keys, but need to bind them to keys that I'll never use.

I love this game, but I'm frustrated with the entire keybind system. It feels unfinished when compared to competing games. The lack of "Last Weapon Equipped" seems to simply be symptomatic of this deeper issue.
    Today in Dev chat on twitch he answered the question about last used weapon:

<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/339873495?t=26m00s" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/339873495?t=26m00s</a>

(hopefully the link works)
    Link worked perfectly! Thanks gl0be.

For those who don't want to open another tab, here's the paraphrased summary: UKW is dealing with game-crashing and game-breaking problems first. They plan on addressing this issue; it's in their queue but it's a lower priority than bugs which make the game unplayable.

I'm totally fine with that reply.

But let's keep up the pressure so that this feature is at the top of the "optional" list of features for them to address. Keep it courteous and polite, but don't let anyone forget that we want this feature very very badly. Ask if there is an eta or if they are working on it yet or Similar questions. Questions that demonstrate that we've heard their reply to our request which they have heard. Maintain a civil dialogue and I'm sure they'll happily address our concerns when nothing is borked anymore.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    agree, having Q to swap to pistol would make the transition seamless for me; just leave it unbinded by default and let us assign a custom keybind

With that in mind, is it possible to bind keys via console anyone?
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    +1
    This and the female marine are among the things I'd like to see in the next patch.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    a long waited feature, almost 2 years ago I mentioned this
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I'd like to see this too. +1
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    It would be nice...

It would also be nice if we could switch around the mouse wheel rotation direction. :)
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still, yes please.