So its been a little over a week and i've seen my first hacker...

li-ONOli-ONO Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168749Members
A fellow by the name of "Speedhack Testing" (no joking, that was his in-game name) was playing marine skipping around our hive at half the speed of sound axing everything with impunity just now. It took half the team going lerks shooting at him / using spores to take him down.

According to him, "If you turn it up too high, the server boots you". So it looks like there is some checking being done for speed hacking... maybe just not enough? Is this an issue Unknown Worlds is aware of? And has anyone else seen blatant cases of hacking lately?

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Hopefully some 'white hackers' will email UW with how its done.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    AFAIK, there is not Anti-Cheat software running with NS2 at the moment. They do client side consistency checks to ensure that game files have not been modified, but that is it.

There has been talk in the past about incorporating Valves Anti-Cheat system, I don't know if that is still being considered.
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    Curious how you posted almost at the exact time of another person reporting it...

I hope they really start focusing on anti-cheat methods because it looks like its gonna be a bigger problem soon... Especially since NS2 is selling pretty well, which is great.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    As I've said in the other thread, this is not the place to talk about hacking especially if you have no proof. Video of the issue is your best bet currently and maybe send an email to one of the devs instead :)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2017441:date=Nov 9 2012, 01:28 PM:name=Superfly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Superfly @ Nov 9 2012, 01:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AFAIK, there is not Anti-Cheat software running with NS2 at the moment. They do client side consistency checks to ensure that game files have not been modified, but that is it.

There has been talk in the past about incorporating Valves Anti-Cheat system, I don't know if that is still being considered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As of yesterday, Valve enabled VAC for Natural Selection 2. We'll post some more information on this soon.
This discussion has been closed.