Onos - suggested change to balance aliens

dumbo11dumbo11 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166732Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Remove onos from the list of personal resource evolutions.</div>Remove onos from the list of personal resource evolutions.

I know that sounds backwards, but I think it's the right move.

An alien has to choose between fade/lerk/onos for higher combat lifeforms:
- the lerk/fade/onos are all capable of map control, as-is the skulk. If your team doesn't have a lerk/fade/onos to kill a marine, skulks can still do it.
- the onos is capable of base assault. If you don't have an onos, then you've got a big problem as it's going to be extremely difficult to do this job without an onos.

For a player, there are 3 tactical options, and 1 strategic. IMHO that strategic decision should be left with the commander. If the commander wants an onos for base assault, then he spawns an egg.

Hoped for outcomes:
- it would put that key strategic decision back in the hands of the commander.
- it would help the fade/lerk. Whilst the combat ability/value of those creatures is debateable, it is not debateable that neither lifeform is a cost-effective option when compared to the onos.
- it would help the game. Late-game alien is considered boring by many as they feel obligated to 'skulk to 75 res, then onos'. Without that option, players would instead see the p-res pool as an opportunity. (a marine looking in the armoury at time=2 minutes does not typically decide to start saving for an exo-suit, and playing as a marine is interesting because of this freedom).

Comments

• biggiansbiggians Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168454Members
    well you understand that Onos are a problem, so that's a start. Not sure if this is the best solution overall though. Right now, aliens are honestly better unless the marines are heavily organized, because all aliens have to do is slow down the marines enough with simple skulks until they start pushing out onoses and win. There needs to be some kind of drawback to being an Onos. For marines, the drawbacks to an Exosuit are obvious, you move slower, you're fragile and easily mobbed, and it takes the marines forever to get up to dual exos. Onoses, on the other hand, have no downsides. They're incredibly tanky, deal a ton of damage, and can sprint very fast into or out of combat. Combine that with just 1 gorge and those two can easily solo two exos.

In my opinion, the simple solution is simply to nerf the Onos, then see how games start to play out. If issues still exist, then buff the other alien units. IMO Marines should have the edge in the late game due to how long it takes to tech dual exos and how much teamwork is required to use them, unlike the aliens where little to no teamwork is required to use any of their units.
  • KableKable Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162222Members
    You say that Onos + Gorge can get 2 exo ?
    Mate ! It's sure that you haven't play against good marines. In EVERY game I'd play, 2 exo were never alone and most of the time they were carreful about always get the ground advantage over 1 onos. As an alien the only way to get killed 2 (middle level) exo (armor lvl3) is to have 2 onos (+ carapace) get one exo stay back and get the other.

Killing an onos is as hard as killed an exo. The onos move faster but is only close combat, the exo is slow but can fire at long range. Moreover a gorge healing an onos will always be slower than EXO+Mac/Welder.

And if you talk about the monoexo just know that it cost 50/40 (player/com) res = Fade
    "Killing an onos is as hard as killed an exo. The onos move faster but is only close combat, the exo is slow but can fire at long range. Moreover a gorge healing an onos will always be slower than EXO+Mac/Welder."

I actually lol'd. Sorry dude, but you're absoultely wrong about this. it is astronomically harder to kill an Onos, and they definitely move faster regardless of whether or not they have a gorge with them. An Onos will easily solo 4 marines, whereas 4 skulks will easily solo an exo. In the situation of Onos compared to Exo, its not even close. the Onos wins every single time. Range advantage does nothing. It's pretty obvous if you look at the numbers as to why. Onos have 1300 health, and with carapace its more like 1500, Exos have what, 510 at best? Onos can charge into battle and deal more damage at melee range than a dual exo can output ever. It takes less than 5 seconds for an Onos to kill an exo, and in 5 seconds an exo will have to stop shooting because if he shoots for another second or 2 the guns will overheat.

The sole reason that aliens win almost every single game is because Onos just faceroll through anything the marines can do shy of a very well coordinated push featuring 3+ dual exos and welders. Add to that the fact that all you have to do to completely hose over the Marines is kill the power node in the area and it becomes almost impossible for marines to ever win.
  • KableKable Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162222Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2017126:date=Nov 9 2012, 05:41 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually lol'd. Sorry dude, but you're absoultely wrong about this. it is astronomically harder to kill an Onos, and they definitely move faster regardless of whether or not they have a gorge with them. An Onos will easily solo 4 marines, whereas 4 skulks will easily solo an exo. In the situation of Onos compared to Exo, its not even close. the Onos wins every single time. Range advantage does nothing. It's pretty obvous if you look at the numbers as to why. Onos have 1300 health, and with carapace its more like 1500, Exos have what, 510 at best? Onos can charge into battle and deal more damage at melee range than a dual exo can output ever. It takes less than 5 seconds for an Onos to kill an exo, and in 5 seconds an exo will have to stop shooting because if he shoots for another second or 2 the guns will overheat.

The sole reason that aliens win almost every single game is because Onos just faceroll through anything the marines can do shy of a very well coordinated push featuring 3+ dual exos and welders. Add to that the fact that all you have to do to completely hose over the Marines is kill the power node in the area and it becomes almost impossible for marines to ever win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh bro you're cute (with your 50 games of NS2)
    - Exo get 570 and a repair rate higher than Onos
    - A rushing onos against a dual exo alone on 10m will not survive
    - Onos can win against 4 marines if he get carapace and skills, and 4 skulks will never get an exo (Except if it's alone = rookie)
    - 2 Dual exo with great marine behind against 2 onos is easily win if the Marines are not surprised (= Vocal + Scan comm)
    - You need 4 full "ammo" of the exo to kill a Hive and you don't even have to be just next to it
    - If the onos can rush your last power core, and you can't kill them (before or after) and repair it, that's because you were already losing your micro/macro, since a long time.
    - The onos is the only way for alien to get rid of turtuling marines

You should play more onos if you really want to argue on that.
    I have played onos plenty, definitely more exos though. I can assure you (and its been confirmed on more threads than just this one) the Onos are by far superior to an exo. It isn't a debate, it's fact. 570 vs 1500? its obvious.
  • HessianHessian Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72592Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017161:date=Nov 9 2012, 01:14 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have played onos plenty, definitely more exos though. I can assure you (and its been confirmed on more threads than just this one) the Onos are by far superior to an exo. It isn't a debate, it's fact. 570 vs 1500? its obvious.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's a good thing exo are ass, and all you need are jetpack and shotguns.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017169:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:17 AM:name=Hessian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hessian @ Nov 9 2012, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a good thing exo are ass, and all you need are jetpack and shotguns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Assuming that the fight is happening in the 10% of any map that isn't a cramped hallway where there is no flying room. Aliens kill marines in what, 4 hits without investing any res as a skulk. If we spend 20 res to get in lethal range of you for a chance to get a clutch killshot, we deserve that win.
  • HessianHessian Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72592Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017174:date=Nov 9 2012, 01:20 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017174"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Assuming that the fight is happening in the 10% of any map that isn't a cramped hallway where there is no flying room. Aliens kill marines in what, 4 hits without investing any res as a skulk. If we spend 20 res to get in lethal range of you for a chance to get a clutch killshot, we deserve that win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except it's not even point blank. You can one shot a skulk from outside their melee. It's not you getting into a skulks lethal range, it's the skulks getting into your since your time to kill is... INSTANT. Fun.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    edited November 2012
    I was personally thinking more about, when you buy an alien evolution, maybe it should come with lives, so when you evolve to onos you have 2 lives maybe, fade could be 3.

Something just needs to be done about playing the whole match as Skulk or Gorge aka 30-40min, then playing 5min as fade or Onos whatever for 5min then dying and its BACK TO THE FREAKING Skulk or Gorge. really frustrating.

It would be like Marines have one shot at shotgun you loose it, you playing with the normal rifle the rest of the game.

Or they need to add so aliens can consume the corpses of fallen aliens and restore 50% res to the player who died, and the other 25% is spread among the team and 25% is lost. Atleast this way you actually have a shot at playing an Onos or another high level alien atleast 2 times in a 1 hour match or so, thats not asking to much is it ?.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    Not to mention an Onos is helpless against jetpackers. A jetpacker with a shotgun can avoid stomp and all of the Onos' attacks, dealing ~170 damage per shot (10 pellets per shot, dealing 17 damage apiece).

If the wiki is still accurate, an Exo can fire 250 times before 'reloading' (overheating), dealing 25 damage per hit. That's 6250 damage. A dual-mini Exo can output twice that, 12500. That's enough to take out nearly ten Onos. That assumes perfect accuracy of course, but still I think you see my point.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    edited November 2012
    Sure, just give the fade 1300 HP and double the attack damage and speed to even things out.

The Aliens need buffing, not nerfing.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2017243:date=Nov 9 2012, 11:07 AM:name=ChaosXBeing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChaosXBeing @ Nov 9 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to mention an Onos is helpless against jetpackers. A jetpacker with a shotgun can avoid stomp and all of the Onos' attacks, dealing ~170 damage per shot (10 pellets per shot, dealing 17 damage apiece).

If the wiki is still accurate, an Exo can fire 250 times before 'reloading' (overheating), dealing 25 damage per hit. That's 6250 damage. A dual-mini Exo can output twice that, 12500. That's enough to take out nearly ten Onos. That assumes perfect accuracy of course, but still I think you see my point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    definitely not accurate, from personal experience I can assure you those numbers are way out of date. If exos did that much damage, the forums would be flooded with nothing but "Exos rape everything, they are OP." I'd say 6250 might be the damage of a dual exo, but even that seems high.