The Shotgun and the Grenade Launcher

biggiansbiggians Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168454Members
Well the Shotgun isn't necessarily an improvement over the basic AR. Yeah it's nice against skulks and faydes, but not 20 resource nice. It's another option, not a better or worse one. That being said, I think it's too highly priced. 5-10 resources seems far more balanced. Am I the only one who thinks they're too expensive?

On a similar note, is it too much to ask for grenades fired from the grenade launcher to detonate on impact with an alien unit/structure? Onoses just wreck everything shy of dual exos with amazing welding support, it'd be nice to have some kind of weapon that can deal with them a little more effectively. You obviously don't want the 25 resource invested in a grenade launcher to easily out perform the 75 (i think?) resource you invest in an Onos, but Onoses in my opinion have too much free range to run around and beat stuff up with ease since they have so much HP and are so hard to bring down.

I admit I am fairly new to the game, I'm not labeled a rookie anymore, but in all but 2 of the games ive played in (maybe 20 some?) Marines have lost, and its always because nobody can kill the Onoses, even with teamwork of 4-5 marines focus firing it and the thing having no healer with it. In the most recent one I played everyone on our team had more kills than the aliens, we even had better map control, but as soon as they rolled out 2 onoses we had no chance, they easily facerolled through everything we had worked on and we lost...

Am I just incredibly unlucky? Too new? What's the issue here?

Comments

• TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Its just a matter of experience. Your commander likely was not researching correct upgrades if your team of marines were unable to drop an Onos. With damage upgrades marines can drop onos quite effectively.

Even dual minigun exosuit vs 1 onos is debatable. Onos will probably lose if he engages at range, but if he starts the fight in melee he will probably win. Obviously side strafing and bad players can change this.

Shotgun (20 res) is extremely good counter to fade (50 res), so I don't think pricing should change. If anything fade is too easily countered by it.

Greandes are anti-structure, and happen to damage aliens. They will rip up hive locations if you get there, extremely well for only 25 res.
  • biggiansbiggians Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168454Members
    edited November 2012
    I have experience in 1v1 against an onos with a dual exo, I engaged at range and he had no problem eating the damage and killing me. I can understand them being a little more durable than an exosuit, but hell, ive seen 1 onos and 1 gorge win against two dual exos and 2 welders. They seem like they are really, REALLY durable...

Shotguns are nice against a fade but id argue a well played fade should have no problem dealing with a marine and his shotty. I've seen fades kill 4 marines where 2 had shotguns. Idk, I must really just get unlucky or something. I hear people saying marines are good all the time but I can't help but wonder if that's just the mood from NS1 carrying over.
  • AvsAvs Join Date: 2004-05-20 Member: 28798Members
    edited November 2012
    1 Onos at medium range beats a Dual Exo. This isn't really a debate, its the fact that the Onos has more hp and armor than a lot of structures, while having high damage output. The Exo has 570 armor at maximum, which takes less than 5 seconds to bring down.

The OP is correct. Shotguns are not needed. In fact as your marines get better, shotguns are worse and worse of an option. Fades die to pistol whips and AR gun fire incredibly easy: See Fades = not what they used to be. This is the key problem. Shotguns aren't bad, they just don't out damage accurate gun fire. In NS1, LMGs did not do much damage to Fades and Fades knew that. Every marine knew LMGs were skulks only, and that became debatable when they had carapace. Shotguns were a natural step towards fighting lerks/fades in NS1. In NS2, they don't have a clear role or purpose (just like Flamethrowers) for the cost.

Onos are OP. Exos are too expensive to get to unless you are dominating the map.

Buffing fades doesn't fix this issue either because while it makes shotguns more useful, it's less resources to deal with Onos.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    If Fades ever get buffed back to being useful you'll see how good the shotgun is.

Grenades do explode on impact.
    edited November 2012
    I think fades are great. a well played fade will almost never die and easily jump in and out of battle to pick off someone and float away. they are SOOOOOO fast and they kill in like 3 hits. if they were any better marines would stand even less of a chance than they do now.

I really do think Exos need a buff if they are going to be so expensive and take so much time to tech out. Also, since buying an exo is completely pointless until duals are teched, perhaps they should just start with duals. Again, I don't claim to be an expert, but it kinda just makes sense.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Weapons can be picked on death, which means they kind-of can stay all game long.

Prices are way enough, just need to not play solo and lose it against a hive.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    Just throwing this out there, but while I have little experience as a Dual Exo, I have no trouble at all killing an Onos. Even with a Gorge. Maybe I've just gotten very lucky, but IMO unless the Onos is cloaked and manages to walk right up in your face, the Skulks are more likely to kill you.
    Just a thought that came to mind concerning the shotgun. What if it were an equip option after it were teched when you spawn? kinda like how the aliens can choose their evolutions, marines could choose whether they want to spawn with an AR or a shotgun. It's been stated above that the Shotgun has no real place right now due to limited range and the AR with decent aim is just as effective, so I see no reason why it couldnt just be an alternate spawn option. That way it wouldn't need a buff.
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    With the assault rifle you have to track a moving skulk to get enough bullets in it to kill it. With the shotgun you just click on the skulk once to kill it. That, of course, assumes you have early shotgun before aliens have carapace. I've also found it is way easier to kill lerks with the shotgun.
  • JeehaoJeehao Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168294Members
    A fully upgraded Exo suit with Dual miniguns beats a onos if he knows how to aim and don't start the fight in melee combat.

And shotguns do devastating damage to onos, One clip can deal alround 1000 damage, Get some shotgun marines with jetpacks and onoses will hit the floor incredible fast..
    I played a game where the Marines had one base and we rushed with onoses but it was really difficult to bring down that base because we dropped like flies. But we won after a long fight..

People just need to get experience and learn how to do damage and use teamplay.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2016178:date=Nov 9 2012, 02:11 AM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the Shotgun isn't necessarily an improvement over the basic AR. Yeah it's nice against skulks and faydes, but not 20 resource nice. It's another option, not a better or worse one. That being said, I think it's too highly priced. 5-10 resources seems far more balanced. Am I the only one who thinks they're too expensive?

On a similar note, is it too much to ask for grenades fired from the grenade launcher to detonate on impact with an alien unit/structure? Onoses just wreck everything shy of dual exos with amazing welding support, it'd be nice to have some kind of weapon that can deal with them a little more effectively. You obviously don't want the 25 resource invested in a grenade launcher to easily out perform the 75 (i think?) resource you invest in an Onos, but Onoses in my opinion have too much free range to run around and beat stuff up with ease since they have so much HP and are so hard to bring down.

I admit I am fairly new to the game, I'm not labeled a rookie anymore, but in all but 2 of the games ive played in (maybe 20 some?) Marines have lost, and its always because nobody can kill the Onoses, even with teamwork of 4-5 marines focus firing it and the thing having no healer with it. In the most recent one I played everyone on our team had more kills than the aliens, we even had better map control, but as soon as they rolled out 2 onoses we had no chance, they easily facerolled through everything we had worked on and we lost...

Am I just incredibly unlucky? Too new? What's the issue here?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Too new

1. Shotgun deals a ######ton of damage. A Shotgun mag deals up to 220 * 8 = 1760 DMG (lv3 weapons), LMG deals much less. Shotgun is no. choice of countering life forms and it gets gazillion times easier once you have shotties, besides a range advantage. The cost is justified.

2. They do, it just kinda seems impossible to pull it off. I renember hitting lerks mid air with grenades. Unless they changed it again, but it always been very hard to hit lifeforms with gls. Anyway, GL is more geared torwards taking structures down (and currently, hordes of skulks - making it good at defending teammates/exos). It is a support weapon, much like the flamethrower.
    Exos are an offensive weapons and should not be used unless you have lv3 armor and some support (i.e. welders ,macs)

3. Actually, this is a problem that onos has too high survivabiliy at the moment (because of health + mobility). That kinda needs to be addressed. Besides that, you need to chase onoses, people in pub games almost never do that. Or try to trap them, so they can't run away. If you don't, they'll just run, healup, and attack again.
  • HessianHessian Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72592Members
    Aliens need a 20 res life form that can 1 shot marines and two shot exos
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2017147:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:04 AM:name=Hessian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hessian @ Nov 9 2012, 09:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens need a 20 res life form that can 1 shot marines and two shot exos<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Marines need a 30 res super marine that runs 3 times as fast, has infrared vision, can see hives through walls, and dual weilds ARs. See I can post ridiculous things too. You do realize that should a marine choose to use a shotgun they have to be within lethal range of an alien, where an alien should win anyway right?
  • HessianHessian Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72592Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017168:date=Nov 9 2012, 01:16 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 9 2012, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines need a 30 res super marine that runs 3 times as fast, has infrared vision, can see hives through walls, and dual weilds ARs. See I can post ridiculous things too. You do realized that should a marine choose to use a shotgun they have to be within lethal range of an alien, where an alien should win anyway right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Deal. Because our 30 res "super" alien still gets two shot.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017170:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:18 AM:name=Hessian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hessian @ Nov 9 2012, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Deal. Because our 30 res "super" alien still gets two shot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lol. Modding community make this happen?
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I think the grenade launcher should have two fire modes:

Primary = bouncy nades

secondary = detonate on impact nades

for a little balance maybe have the re-fire rate on the bouncy be a bit faster than the secondary fire mode
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    edited November 2012
    Aliens need buffing, not the marines.

The fade really needs a buff.

Also the shotgun 1 hits skulks, if your team knows how to aim, the Aliens don't stand a chance.
    <!--quoteo(post=2019132:date=Nov 10 2012, 07:52 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 10 2012, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens need buffing, not the marines.

The fade really needs a buff.

Also the shotgun 1 hits skulks, if your team knows how to aim, the Aliens don't stand a chance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Onos needs a nerf, then the rest of the aliens can move up a little.