Can the Comm please get some Pres.

ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
I understand why the Comm doesn't get Pres. So that you can't just sit back and get a quick 75 since you never really die. But I would really like to see at least a little Pres income. Maybe 25% of the normal income?

It's kind of dissapointing when you hop out and can't be anything other than a skulk.

There's many reasons you would want to hop out, Just to kill the one marine in your base, which isn't practical as a skulk against a shotgun. Or it's late game and your team is making the final push, it would be nice to be in the thick of things with everyone else, instead of staring at your minions unable to do much at all. Or, this has never happened to me personally, but if you get ejected. As well if you just don't feel like comming anymore and someone has offered to take over.

I don't know if it would throw balance off or anything, which I don't think it would. It's just disappointing having only 20-25 res when you hop out.

Comments

• Fat_Man_Little_CoatFat_Man_Little_Coat Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23857Members
    edited November 2012
    you can drop yourself an egg of your choosing before you get out. There's something very fun about popping out of a hive that's being harassed by a marine or two as Onos that's as big as the hive itself.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Shrimm:</b></u>

I'm certain it was changed to be this way for balance reasons

Previously an Alien Commander would get to 75 res before anyone else because they never died and could always jump out and Onos

At that point it was better for someone else to command alien for the remainder of the game
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    edited November 2012
    Yeah I usually do just drop myself an egg but I don't really like spending tres on myself lol

<!--quoteo(post=2016874:date=Nov 9 2012, 07:59 AM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Nov 9 2012, 07:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>Shrimm:</b></u>

I'm certain it was changed to be this way for balance reasons

Previously an Alien Commander would get to 75 res before anyone else because they never died and could always jump out and Onos

At that point it was better for someone else to command alien for the remainder of the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that's what I figured and why I said at 25% normal rate or so. It would probably be around 20-30 minutes in before you could even afford onos. If your teams strat is to wait for a 20 min onos you're probably gonna lose before that marker anyway. Right?

EDIT: should probably mention I wanted this to happen for marine and alien comm. so the alien comm might be able to buy an onos at late game but the marines would also be able to buy 75 res worth of weps for the team. This would probably be more of a balance concern than the alien comm becoming onos.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016885:date=Nov 9 2012, 01:07 PM:name=Shrimm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrimm @ Nov 9 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I usually do just drop myself an egg but I don't really like spending tres on myself lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yet you ask for Pres?
    You realise Pres is divided between the team?
    So if you took Pres it would reduce the income of the REST of your team...

Silly idea.
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016899:date=Nov 9 2012, 08:28 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 9 2012, 08:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yet you ask for Pres?

Silly idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't like spending Tres on myself because if I need to hop back in and drop stuff I still have the res to do it.

As for Pres dividing between the team. maybe separate the comms income so it doesn't effect the team. Or not even worry about it because it would be such a minuscule amount?

If you had five players on your team, excluding comm, getting one res a tick each. The comm would only take .05 res from each of them, bringing them down to .95 a tick. Doesn't really seem like a problem.

Also I wouldn't really call it an idea. That implies I actually spent time thinking it over :P
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    I feel this issue (if you want to call it that) hasn't been fully resolved since Alpha. The commander's way of spending has changed dramatically several times over the years, such as abilities costing the commander his own personal resources, or through "energy", a mix of the two, etc. I'd like to see the devs come back to this mechanic for some final touches when appropriate.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2016899:date=Nov 10 2012, 12:28 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 10 2012, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yet you ask for Pres?

Silly idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm quite sure PRes is not split. Rather, every live player receives it at the same rate, except the commanders (who receive none).

This discussion does bring up some valid arguments and counter-arguments though. TRes weapons/eggs are quite expensive. So I'd like to see commanders gain PRes again. But that could encourage commander swapping, which is less ideal for those who wish to command the entire game.

Perhaps the commander could have a lower resource cap than other players (eg 50, instead of 100), with excess personal resources gained overflowing to other players earlier?
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    I think there are a lot of problems associated with giveing comms res gain:

Marine comms are exptected to use their res to buy stuff (maybe mines or a sg) an drop them for the team.

Alien comms currently cant drop pRes-eggs, so they would be at a disadvantage.

So basicly pRes drops for both teams would be needed again, which would make it a lot more confusing again.

I think it was the right move to take pRes away from commsm even though there might be some drawbacks for players in a few cases
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    As someone who is frequently "forced" to play comm because no one else wants to / is remotely skilled.

I would appreciate earning SOME PRes so that if I log out of the chair/hive I could get some kind of weapon without stealing it from the team. I get that sitting there racking up res till Onos/dual would be OP and would also discourage comms from staying comms...

But surely there could be some kind of personal res gain over time, even at 25/50% to normal rate.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    +1

Since res is not divided out to players from a pool but is only based on the number of resnodes, I feel its just mean to the commander.... I do understand not wanting to give him the ability to out pace everyone else for res just give him a fair percentage... Nobody should really be dead more then 25% of the time so give the com a 75% Pres gain.... droping yourself a lifeform as comm just feels selfish.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    why is this problem for alien commander ? there's literally nothing to do as alien commander so if you're any good, you're skulking 60% of the time instead of sitting inside hive doing nothing and just watiing res.
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    Just step outside of the chair/hive right before each tick, and hop back in.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The comm shouldn't get any PRes because he should want to remain in the CC/Hive for the entire game. No matter how you do it, if the comm gets PRes then eventually he's going to want to hop out and spend it. When the alien comm eventually earns 75 res, he's doing his team a disservice by not giving up the Hive to someone else so he can go Onos. That's just not the type of gameplay we should be encouraging.

It was tried giving the comm PRes and having him spend it on comm stuff like meds/ammo, but that creates the situation where he might run out and have someone else with more PRes take his place, which is ultimately the same issue. It's also just too complicated to have two pools of res to spend at once.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2017130:date=Nov 9 2012, 11:45 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 9 2012, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The comm shouldn't get any PRes because he should want to remain in the CC/Hive for the entire game. No matter how you do it, if the comm gets PRes then eventually he's going to want to hop out and spend it. When the alien comm eventually earns 75 res, he's doing his team a disservice by not giving up the Hive to someone else so he can go Onos. That's just not the type of gameplay we should be encouraging. It was tried giving the comm PRes and having him spend it on comm stuff like meds/ammo, but that creates the situation where he might run out and have someone else with more PRes take his place, which is ultimately the same issue. It's also just too complicated to have two pools of res to spend at once.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->QFT