Critique my Marine Commander Gameplay

Merciless OneMerciless One Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168344Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Youtube video of a pug match</div>Hey guys, I posted a video on Youtube of my Marine Commander Gameplay. I've been playing since release now, and really enjoy the Commander/RTS aspect of it. :)

But I'm sure I need to work on a lot more things if I want to be more effective and helpful for my team.

This was a pug match, so I had to make do and designate roles and what not, as any good Commander should. :p

If you guys watch it, please let me know what I could have done better, or if I should have done something differently and what not. Obviously, everybody has their own opinions, but I am wondering if there are things that I did that are, in general, a no-no as thought by the rest of the community.

Link to video: <a href="http://youtu.be/F_UpLkZ_CGY" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/F_UpLkZ_CGY</a>

Thanks and enjoy. :)

Comments

• m1cHim1cHi Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22105Members
    Its not really related to your video but maybe watching some of Scrajms comm videos can be a good help (e.g. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgN3qFlmbkc" target="_blank">this</a> or <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdsG9Q6Hdxs&feature=plcp" target="_blank">this</a>).
  • Merciless OneMerciless One Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168344Members
    edited November 2012
    Thanks, m1cHi, but I was looking for some critiques of my own gameplay.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Don't drop ghost rt's right off the bat - an unruly team might just go somewhere else leaving the extractor unbuilt.

Don't drop armory and obs right at the start - unless you really want that phase tech up super quick - it makes most of your team stay in base and build stuff, while the more economic choice would be A: you building it while you have time to jump out of comm B: the next guy to die/spawn building it, while waiting for another marine to spawn so that he doesn't have to leave base alone.

Locker getting attacked at 10:50 I would jump out of comm chair and phase in to help. Or spam meds, which ever you think is more useful.

No obs in locker? Observatories are great for seeing le aliens coming from afar.

Solid stuff anyhow. Cba watching parts 2 & 3 :P
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    edited November 2012
    If you get phase gates get mines at the same time. Drop ghost rts in all the possible alien starting locations. The one that doesn't drop will be there starting hive. This will let you know right away where they are. Build your obs in the upper most corner in terminal. This will give your marines farther vision into east wing. Try and get phase gates in aliens hives. If your on veil and the aliens take fast nano. Imo its better to just tell your marines to hit the tech nodes and pop a arc to down nano from west/east junction. Early arc is also very good on tram.

Only med if there is a chance for a positive outcome. rifle v skulk dont med. if a marine is about to kill a upgrade/rt/hive/higher life form then med. If your marines have advanced gear med. But if its just rifles v skulks dont med.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2016210:date=Nov 8 2012, 05:35 PM:name=nSidia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nSidia @ Nov 8 2012, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only med if there is a chance for a positive outcome. rifle v skulk dont med. if a marine is about to kill a upgrade/rt/hive/higher life form then med. If your marines have advanced gear med. But if its just rifles v skulks dont med.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That depends on the person, on marines I usually get something like 7 to 1, so giving me meds usually works out, especially if it's a key area.

As far as the OP's job comming, pretty well you had your marines go out and pressure departures, while the others got nodes which is good. But you have to remember to assign roles, saying someone go do this, is as good as saying nobody or everyone go do it. Generally your weakest shooter is who should be back capping nodes. You did spend a lot of time in maintenance and not much at all in stability. Stability is a pretty key point since it blocks a harvester and gives you access to 2 hives. Generally a phase gate there is a good plan as long as you can defend it. You also got proto lab pretty quickly but then didn't do anything with it and stopped weapon and armor upgrades. If you have 4 or 5 towers there's not much reason why you can't continuously have upgrades rolling in.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2016248:date=Nov 8 2012, 06:09 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Nov 8 2012, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016248"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That depends on the person, on marines I usually get something like 7 to 1, so giving me meds usually works out, especially if it's a key area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much this. Most comms do not use enough meds IMO. 2 good med packs can turn the tide of a battle. They can mean the difference between a live PG and a dead one. A successful RT push and a failed one etc.

You just need to learn good judgement, rules like 'don't med rifle vs skulk' are counter productive. Med anytime you can change the outcome of a fight that will give your team a better position on the map, better RT or hive pressure, or save an extractor.

For example, sometimes it makes sense to dump 10 res in meds but delay some upgrade for 30 seconds, but get down an alien rt etc.
  • Merciless OneMerciless One Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168344Members
    These are the kinds of things I was looking for. Thank you all.

I usually put observatories where my other command stations are, but in that match, it wasn't really getting protected as much as I would have liked it to be.

And I always ask only 1 person to remain behind at base to build things, and half the time only 1 does and the rest spread out, and the other half believe they should stay and help. lol >>