Gorge and Infestation Idea

DisruptionDisruption Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167679Members
Currently, the gorge only has 2 buildings he can plant, the hydra and clog. The clog is pretty useful for blocking high traffic areas to buy time, and when a good placement on the ceiling is available they can be pretty good. However, both are limited in the amount that may be placed. Once these structures are placed, the gorge pretty much just spams right click to heal and build stuff well into the mid-late game. Now I know the whole NS1 != NS2 arguement, but it would be nice to give the gorge a silver of its former glory, which involves infestation!

Infestation doesn't seem to have much utility beyond using mist, bonewall, and preventing structure building. And to even utilize it's ability to prevent structure buildiing, it requires a lot of aggressive cyst placing, which will cost a lot of resources. Reading previous posts, it seems like it used to have negative movement speed for marines who were walking through it. However, for some reason or another this idea was scrapped.

Now, my idea for the Gorge is that he has a new type of building that he can place. I couldn't think of a creative name for it, but I'll call it tangleweed for now. This stuff may only be placed on infestation, but essentially it <b>slows down marines by a certain amount when walking on top of it</b> , exos would be unaffected by this. Gorges would be able to place only one "field" of trangleweed, but it would help them create chokepoints in combination with their clogs and hydra. This gives some much needed utility to infestation, while also allowing the Gorge to do more to help his team. Additionally, unlike most structures, the tangleweed cannot be targeted and destroyed with marine weapons. However, if the infestation around it clears up, then it will be destroyed instantly.

Comments

• quintoxquintox Join Date: 2008-11-27 Member: 65594Members
    I like this idea :) Gives the gorge a bit more utilities and wouldn't cause to much of a balance problem. I like the idea of gorges being better portable bunker builders :)
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013471:date=Nov 7 2012, 12:42 PM:name=Disruption)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Disruption @ Nov 7 2012, 12:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><snip>

Now, my idea for the Gorge is that he has a new type of building that he can place. I couldn't think of a creative name for it, but I'll call it tangleweed for now. This stuff may only be placed on infestation, but essentially it <b>slows down marines by a certain amount when walking on top of it</b> , exos would be unaffected by this. Gorges would be able to place only one "field" of trangleweed, but it would help them create chokepoints in combination with their clogs and hydra. This gives some much needed utility to infestation, while also allowing the Gorge to do more to help his team. Additionally, unlike most structures, the tangleweed cannot be targeted and destroyed with marine weapons. However, if the infestation around it clears up, then it will be destroyed instantly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds nice.
    But could be a huge gameplay imbalance... strategic placement of tangleweed by 3x gorges with hydra's and 3x crags, and you make a point impassable until a lucky GL or JPs/Exo's come into play.

Marines would need something similar to counter-balance it, perhaps only flames can destroy it and/or infestation being cleared (again, flame)
  • DisruptionDisruption Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013531:date=Nov 6 2012, 09:34 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Nov 6 2012, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds nice.
    But could be a huge gameplay imbalance... strategic placement of tangleweed by 3x gorges with hydra's and 3x crags, and you make a point impassable until a lucky GL or JPs/Exo's come into play.

Marines would need something similar to counter-balance it, perhaps only flames can destroy it and/or infestation being cleared (again, flame)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That actually would be a good idea, it would give the flamethrower some more meaning, other than a glorified cyst killer. So it could be invulernable, unless hit by a flamethrower or the cyst is destroyed.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I heard they are working on adding the web to Gorges, which is effectively the same, just that it's not limited to ground.
    <!--quoteo(post=2013567:date=Nov 6 2012, 10:08 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Nov 6 2012, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I heard they are working on adding the web to Gorges, which is effectively the same, just that it's not limited to ground.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? That will definitely tackle my other issue with dealing with shotgun jetpackers lol. A gorge is a dead duck if seen by one those guys alone or if trying to catch up with your onos buddy.
    <!--quoteo(post=2013567:date=Nov 6 2012, 10:08 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Nov 6 2012, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I heard they are working on adding the web to Gorges, which is effectively the same, just that it's not limited to ground.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? That will definitely tackle my other issue with dealing with shotgun jetpackers lol. A gorge is a dead duck if seen by one those guys alone or if trying to catch up with your onos buddy.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I'd like it if a slow down was added to clogs, when coming into contact with a marine. That would stop players from just vaulting clog "blockades" and just massacring the gorge behind it.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Interesting idea. A slightly different approach would be to allow a gorge to build more of them, but they automatically wither and die after X seconds (maybe 60 seconds). That way it gives gorges some micro tasks that can keep them busy, and require 'maintenance' to keep the advantage.
  • JeehaoJeehao Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168294Members
    Very interresting idea about Trangleweed, It would be perfect if it was a 2-3 hive upgrade and I think that its weakness would be to either lose the infestation that is is on or a flamethrower that just burns it up.. Marines would need Flamethrowers to deal with it and it would become a part of the game :] I do not think marines have flamethrowers 24/7 so the weed would not be useless.

Or you could just make Trangleweed a weed that grows between small cysts that Gorges can make, They should not need normal cysts to stay alive, And you can plase them behind beams and objects so the weed growth should be hard to disable, The cysts can be killed by anything but if they are hidden well then it is hard to reach them from the front of the weed, But I think that flamethrowers should kill the weed anyways.. it should not be a overpowered blocking thing.

The cysts could make a spiderweb infestation net, but it should not really look like a spiderweb ^^

I think this would fit perfect now when Marines soon can weld doors..
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    You realize, of course, that Gorge webbing (which was NS1) is basically what you are talking about. Which (I believe they are already planning on implementing)
  • SplicerSplicer Join Date: 2012-04-23 Member: 150952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015872:date=Nov 8 2012, 02:37 PM:name=CodeCowboy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodeCowboy @ Nov 8 2012, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You realize, of course, that Gorge webbing (which was NS1) is basically what you are talking about. Which (I believe they are already planning on implementing)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Oh good, I was worried I was missing something.