Gamespot trolled metacritics and gave NS2 60 out of 100 review..

MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
<div class="IPBDescription">This proves if you don't give these reviewers lavish gifts like AA</div>Eric Neigher from Gamespot gave 60/100 review in metacritics. I read his review and it is all about minor issues nothing to do with the game play. I find it very disturbing that if you don't pamper these critics with lavish gifts like AAA companies do they will backstabb you in back. I am using a 5 year old computer and this game runs great, but Eric Neigher was complaining about it seems like these critics are using older PC than mines. I believe it was a poor review and should be removed from metacritics. This is a guy who gave 85/100 to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, but i notice most of his reviews are very low 50/100, so he either a angry sad person or just doesn't get games. <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/search/?qs=Eric+Neigher" target="_blank">Eric Neigher total reviews mostly all low reviews</a> cause of this review this game is not in the top 90/100 mark.

Comments

• FenFen Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72843Members
    edited November 2012
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=122412&view=findpost&p=2014483" target="_blank">Only 5 pages about it in the review topic ;) </a>
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    He's getting a verbal beating in the comment section. I think the most heartbreaking part is how clearly he couldn't care enough to learn any of the games terms/lore, or the work the team put behind the game.

Not to mention how he probably played the game from the sh*t laptop/PC he has at home.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    yea but this one is just about Eric Neigher review, and by his other reviews he is just a troll who reviews games very low 20/100, 40/100, 50/100 his a hater or a very sad person.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It happens to every game, this is why it's important to get a large number of critic scores.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Reading that review was just painful. There's so much stuff said that's actually just factually wrong (even got basic stuff like, you know, the <b>price</b> wrong), I don't know how they get away with publishing that crap.

But on the bright side reading the comments on that have sufficiently sated my rage for the actual review.
    I went to there website and clicked on feedback. I suggest everyone to give there feedback about this guy, most of all his reviews are very bad ratings. This guy has some issues.
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    There is one thing that is very true in this review. A lack of interactive tutorial is really bad. The videos do not cut it. Most people just TL;DW (too long, didn't watch). Explore mode is not sufficient. An interactive tutorial that really teaches people the game is needed very badly.
    <!--quoteo(post=2015687:date=Nov 8 2012, 11:37 AM:name=Apreche2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apreche2 @ Nov 8 2012, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is one thing that is very true in this review. A lack of interactive tutorial is really bad. The videos do not cut it. Most people just TL;DW (too long, didn't watch). Explore mode is not sufficient. An interactive tutorial that really teaches people the game is needed very badly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most games don't even have tutorials. That is a pathetic reason to give a game a bad review. If you want tutorials go to youtube.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    ..and in a single review, all my respect for gamespot which was slowly earned since the rock bottom jeff gerstmann fiasco goes out of the window.

seriously... 'dated graphics' ???? it's a f***ing indie game. i played CSS on and off for years, about ~1000 total hours played and as much as i like CSGO as a sequel - there's no way that it's equal to or greater than NS2. CSGO is more popular because of CS reputation, but it is nowhere near a better game than NS2 and additionally, CSGO has no potential to improve - unlike NS2 which is almost limitless.

holy crap gamespot... consistency please. go back and edit your indie game reviews and take off 5 points for graphics... super meat boy 9.5? you're having a fking laugh... it looks worse than sega megadrive.

Eric Neigher has no grey matter, between his ears i'm pretty sure you'll find brown matter.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Can i just say something?

Grow up and take a long look at yourself OP. You're butthurt because someone gave a bad review of a game you enjoy on the internet. If you don't agree with the review and the judgements made, there's no reason to go on a crusade. I thought it was incredibly unprofessional for UWE PR to purposefully incite forum users to start flaming the comments section on the review.

I keep seeing people saying he made gross factual errors yet all i see is an error on pricing. Aside from this single error, he really doesn't lie nor maliciously misrepresent NS2. It isn't really even a review per say but a statement of opinion and personal judgement of the game. That it affected metacritic goes to show once again how silly that system is anyway - did we all forget that what has, and will continue to drive ns2 is word of mouth? Crappy reviews are just that, crappy.

It's absolutely understandable to quickly form a negative first impression from the hackneyed way the ns2 tutorial system works. Youtube video links of all things, some of which are incredibly longwinded. No doubt UWE is aware of it and will most likely improve on it in time as they do all things.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015699:date=Nov 8 2012, 06:48 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 8 2012, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->seriously... 'dated graphics' ????<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know what it's missing? Lens flare, shellshock motion blur and depth of field effect on your ironsights!
    <!--quoteo(post=2015705:date=Nov 8 2012, 06:54 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 8 2012, 06:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can i just say something?

Grow up and take a long look at yourself OP. You're butthurt because someone gave a bad review of a game you enjoy on the internet. If you don't agree with the review and the judgements made, there's no reason to go on a crusade. I thought it was incredibly unprofessional for UWE PR to purposefully incite forum users to start flaming the comments section on the review.

I keep seeing people saying he made gross factual errors yet all i see is an error on pricing. Aside from this single error, he really doesn't lie nor maliciously misrepresent NS2. It isn't really even a review per say but a statement of opinion and his persona judgement of the game. That it affected metacritic goes to show once again how ###### that system is anyway - did we all forget that what has, and will continue to drive ns2 is word of mouth?

It's absolutely understandable to quickly form a negative first impression from the hackneyed way the ns2 tutorial system works. Youtube video links of all things, some of which are incredibly longwinded. No doubt UWE is aware of it and will most likely improve on it in time as they do all things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sorry, but that is bs.

whenever someone searches ns2 on gamespot, they see a disgustingly WRONG 6/10.

i haven't seen such an unfair score since dead island got a 7/10 (should be at least an 8/10, even including the technical cockup at us release). i mean, giving a game a 9 or 10 is personal opinion, giving a game lower than an 8 is unadulterated damage - because you effectively label the game as 'mediocre'.

look at gamespot reviews and browse through the 6-7 scores... if you think NS2 is in the same league as those games, you're mistaken.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015705:date=Nov 8 2012, 01:54 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 8 2012, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can i just say something?

I keep seeing people saying he made gross factual errors yet all i see is an error on pricing. Aside from this single error, he really doesn't lie nor maliciously misrepresent NS2. It isn't really even a review per say but a statement of opinion and personal judgement of the game. That it affected metacritic goes to show once again how silly that system is anyway - did we all forget that what has, and will continue to drive ns2 is word of mouth? Crappy reviews are just that, crappy.

It's absolutely understandable to quickly form a negative first impression from the hackneyed way the ns2 tutorial system works. Youtube video links of all things, some of which are incredibly longwinded. No doubt UWE is aware of it and will most likely improve on it in time as they do all things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

qft
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    Ohh my...Gamespot and Mr. Neigher are getting absolutey slammed in the comments section of that reveiw
    <!--quoteo(post=2015718:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:11 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Nov 8 2012, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ohh my...Gamespot and Mr. Neigher are getting absolutey slammed in the comments section of that reveiw<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i didn't post a comment, it's not worth it.

but he is right to get slammed...

if people want to read a reviewers personal opinion, then that's fine. but if his personal opinion is entirely biased and unfavourable then i might as well have asked a walrus to review the game for me.

when i read a gamespot review it's because i wanted insight, not because i want to rub my nose between the reviewers bum cheeks.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Meh, I've never used review or review aggregators for my gaming decision purchases (gameplay videos, word of mouths and steams sales have always been better ways of finding games I enjoy). You can also tell that metacritic obviously has its finger on the scale by how frequently and how much the reviewer and user ratings diverge. Here's a short list
    Game - Reviewer Rating - User Rating
    Painkiller: Hell & Damnation - 67 - 1.8
    Natural Selection 2 - 77 - 9.3
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game - 82 - 4.5
    Primal Carnage - 69 - 8.7
    A Game of Dwarves - 55 - 7.4
    Doom 3 BFG Edition - 60 - 4.6
    War of the Roses - 75 - 6.0
    Cortex Command - 48 - 6.0
    WoW: Mists of Pandaria - 82 - 4.4
    Tryst - 50 - 7.3
    Diablo 3 - 88 - 3.8
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    This is slader, you have legal grounds, SUE THE ######S!!!!!
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015705:date=Nov 8 2012, 08:54 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 8 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can i just say something?

Meanwhile Dark Souls has no tutorial, objective screen or clear thing to do and it gets a 9.5.
    You can run around that game for hours without any clear directions dying 100s of times.

Not to mention the factual mistakes and downright inane statements like "it costs 30 bucks", "Part of the reason it's difficult is because it's well balanced." WTF?
    He only talks about the marines and commander dependency on players to build and of course the cherry on the cake: The game needs "hours of grinding necessary to learn the units, maps, controls, and balance".

So playing online games constitutes as grinding now?
    People need some silly treadmill like in CoD? Medals? Prestige?
    That's just a sign that the game is too boring to be played for the reason we play games: TO HAVE FUN.
    It's very obvious this is a rushed review, and I doubt he has more than 1 hour of NS2 playtime his steam account.

No mention of modding support, mapping tools, casts and tournaments, just 5 small paragraphs of "OMG NEED INTERACTIBE TUTORIALZ, GAEM TO HARD!".
    Why are you even defending this sham? Disgusting.
    I wouldn't let this guy review android/iOS games, they might be too complex and confusing.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2015687:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:37 PM:name=Apreche2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apreche2 @ Nov 8 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is one thing that is very true in this review. A lack of interactive tutorial is really bad. The videos do not cut it. Most people just TL;DW (too long, didn't watch). Explore mode is not sufficient. An interactive tutorial that really teaches people the game is needed very badly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The video tutorials as idea are not bad, the execution is. Specifically do they run like crap in Steam's browser overlay for some reason. I usually get fluent Youtube videos there, but the NS2 ones run like on half framerate, i.e. with so much stuttering that it's not worth to watch.
  • FenFen Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72843Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2015729:date=Nov 8 2012, 08:21 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 8 2012, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015729"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can also tell that metacritic obviously has its finger on the scale by how frequently and how much the reviewer and user ratings diverge. Here's a short list
    Tryst - 50 - 7.3
    Diablo 3 - 88 - 3.8<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Users review on metacritic are even a worse way to judge a game

Why?

1)it's either 9/10s or 0/1s for most of the users
    2)it's way too easy to sabotage and troll for people that have time,more so close to the release of a game

That's why user/professional scores are usually so different:professionals might have bad reviews amongst the total,but users' review are completly random
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2015715:date=Nov 9 2012, 06:09 AM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 9 2012, 06:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sorry, but that is bs.

whenever someone searches ns2 on gamespot, they see a disgustingly WRONG 6/10.

i haven't seen such an unfair score since dead island got a 7/10 (should be at least an 8/10, even including the technical cockup at us release). i mean, giving a game a 9 or 10 is personal opinion, giving a game lower than an 8 is unadulterated damage - because you effectively label the game as 'mediocre'.

look at gamespot reviews and browse through the 6-7 scores... if you think NS2 is in the same league as those games, you're mistaken.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seriously, this horse has been dead a long time. Any respectable gamer knows that scores are a bad way of rating games and that metacritic is overall an incredibly harmful and abusable system.

If your goal is to fight against every unfair game review score out there, you also have to be prepared to fight the other way.
    <a href="http://pcgmedia.com/video-game-review/natural-selection-2-review/" target="_blank">http://pcgmedia.com/video-game-review/natu...ction-2-review/</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We Disliked:
    No proper tutorial, steep learning curve for the Commander role, Commander UI needs some work, loading times are long, some issues with running the game but may not apply to everybody
    Our Final Take:
    5 / 5 - Superb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How is 100% possible if there are dislikes very similar to the gamespot review? Are we seeing a credible trend in first impression dislikes?

Welcome to the internet. It's totally impractical to start trying to police every crappy review/er out there. You're making it sound like gamespot has a reputation as a credible source for game reviews anyway.
    <!--QuoteBegin-tarquinnbb+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinnbb)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->if people want to read a reviewers personal opinion, then that's fine. but if his personal opinion is entirely biased and unfavourable then i might as well have asked a walrus to review the game for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So the only valid personal opinion is the popular opinion? what? The entire meaning of <b>personal opinion</b> is to be biased.

<!--quoteo(post=2015737:date=Nov 9 2012, 06:30 AM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Nov 9 2012, 06:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meanwhile Dark Souls has no tutorial, objective screen or clear thing to do and it gets a 9.5.
    You can run around that game for hours without any clear directions dying 100s of times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The point is so what? Why does this matter? Oh no, darksouls got a better score than ns2 and the reviews have no standards! Does this actually surprise anyone? If you enjoy ns2, tell your friends about it - its borderline childish to get all up in arms about bad reviews on the internet.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015734:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:25 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Nov 8 2012, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is slader, you have legal grounds, SUE THE ######S!!!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No it isnt. 'This game causes cancer' would be slander, 'i dont like this game' isnt.

Whilst its a bad review he does have some legitimate points. Lack of a tutorial is a serious oversight for a game like this, in spots texture work does look dated whilst the game itself eats computing power and balance is a wee bit awkward right now.

As for those who are crying because its a bad review, grow up it happens.
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015705:date=Nov 8 2012, 02:54 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 8 2012, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought it was incredibly unprofessional for UWE PR to purposefully incite forum users to start flaming the comments section on the review.

It's absolutely understandable to quickly form a negative first impression from the hackneyed way the ns2 tutoa rial system works. Youtube video links of all things, some of which are incredibly longwinded. No doubt UWE is aware of it and will most likely improve on it in time as they do all things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A couple of things.

There are more errors in this "article" than just pricing. Most people pointed this out simply because it has been confirmed by a dev.
    Honestly, whatever level of professionalism has gone out of the window the minute that article was released. I really do wonder how it got past the editors (or lack thereof maybe?) at Gamespot.

Below is a response I wrote to an user comment explaining why I thought the author did not so much as making it past a single game before he posted this rubbish of an article, which is judging a book by its cover in everything besides the literal sense.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except on this review, it sounds like Mr. Neigher didn't even spend a tenth of that time on the game. Many of the statements he made about the game makes it sound like he spent very little time on the game.

For example, he makes complaints regarding commanders yelling at newbies who are running around cluelessly. Over the 80 or so hours I have put in so far, I have ran into perhaps 3 matches where the commander does this. I find it very hard to believe that he is continuously running into bad commanders or that the same bad commander is taking helm through the matches that he has played.

Another example is the load time that he complains about. While the game does take a long time to load on the first match (which should have been part of the installation in my opinion), the subsequent matches load in a fraction of that time. While there are people complaining about loading time issues, the extremely long load time only occurs on the VERY FIRST MATCH. As such, I am having a very hard time believing that Mr. Neigher here has played over a single match.

Finally, if Mr. Neigher has played over even one single match, he would realize that the player composition of any given server changes every match, with people picking the sides they join each time they start a new match. I fail to see how a system like this would ensure that new players would lose over and over again. As such, I cannot place any faith in the author having played the game for longer than a single match.

There are many more points that I find questionable, more than I care to address, but having played the game and observing Eric's remarks about the three points I have mentioned above, I don't see how this article is informative or helpful to anyone in any way, shape, or form. It's bad enough that he not not spend enough time to properly assess the product, many of his observations and remarks seem to be based on erroneous findings due to his lack of experience with the product.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He does have some valid points, but the vast majority of it lost relevance after he spent a page ranting on how hard the game is and would otherwise prevent most anyone from enjoying the game.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Today Eric Neigher taught me that Legend if Grimrock is a better looking game than Natural Selection 2! Who would have known? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    <!--quoteo(post=2015729:date=Nov 8 2012, 09:21 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 8 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015729"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh, I've never used review or review aggregators for my gaming decision purchases (gameplay videos, word of mouths and steams sales have always been better ways of finding games I enjoy). You can also tell that metacritic obviously has its finger on the scale by how frequently and how much the reviewer and user ratings diverge. Here's a short list
    Tryst - 50 - 7.3
    Diablo 3 - 88 - 3.8<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Users review can be a good warning sign when you see a huge difference between "critics" and gamers but they're easily votebombed and trolled for various reasons that can be irrelevant to some people like DRM, day1 DLC abuse etc.

Just another of metacritic's and the general 1-10 numbered review system's flaws.
    <!--quoteo(post=2015740:date=Nov 8 2012, 09:33 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 8 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The point is so what? Why does this matter? Oh no, darksouls got a better score than ns2 and the reviews have no standards! Does this actually surprise anyone? If you enjoy ns2, tell your friends about it - its borderline childish to get all up in arms about bad reviews on the internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A factually wrong review is going to get trashed as this one is in the comments, especially when it's a known incompetent reviewers who rushed through it in 2 hours.

Really I din't mind if they keep it, and they'll likely will, it's just another nail in gamespot's slowly descending coffin.
    It's probably better if it stays as the amount of drama it causes brings NS2 more spotlight than a 8.0 or whatever would. :3
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015740:date=Nov 8 2012, 02:33 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 8 2012, 02:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously, this horse has been dead a long time. Any respectable gamer knows that scores are a bad way of rating games and that metacritic is overall an incredibly harmful and abusable system.

If your goal is to fight against every unfair game review score out there, you also have to be prepared to fight the other way.
    <a href="http://pcgmedia.com/video-game-review/natural-selection-2-review/" target="_blank">http://pcgmedia.com/video-game-review/natu...ction-2-review/</a>

How is 100% possible if there are dislikes very similar to the gamespot review? Are we seeing a credible trend in first impression dislikes?

Welcome to the internet. It's totally impractical to start trying to police every crappy review/er out there. You're making it sound like gamespot has a reputation as a credible source for game reviews anyway.

The point is so what? Why does this matter? Oh no, darksouls got a better score than ns2 and the reviews have no standards! Does this actually surprise anyone? If you enjoy ns2, tell your friends about it - its borderline childish to get all up in arms about bad reviews on the internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've never played a game and came away and said to myself "you know, this game has absolutely no problems, is completely and totally perfectly designed, and is pretty much my favorite game ever". True perfection is an unrealistic goal. Playing any video game is an exercise in finding the good around the bad. I think a review reflects how easily it is to see the good against how much the bad distracts from it.

NS2 does have long loading times, and needs more work in the tutorials... but the loading times aren't intolerable, and the comunity is friendly enough to explain things, in game, on the forums, on the IRC, on your own review site when you post a bad review.... Everywhere.
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    edited November 2012
    The problem isn't some guy not liking NS2. The problem is a major outlet like Gamespot phoning in a review, no doubt as has been said because it's a small, obscure, PC-only game without any marketing. It was a completely unprofessional review more at home on some basement dweller's blog and yet another entry in a long, growing list of disservices to PC gaming/gamers in general.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 does have long loading times<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It had long loading times for maybe two days. The first patch improved my loading times to roughly twice as fast as those in current-day TF2.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2015745:date=Nov 9 2012, 06:35 AM:name=Makenshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Makenshi @ Nov 9 2012, 06:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A couple of things.

There are more errors in this "article" than just pricing. Most people pointed this out simply because it has been confirmed by a dev.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-onii-chan+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (onii-chan)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A factually wrong review is going to get trashed as this one is in the comments, especially when it's a known incompetent reviewers who rushed through it in 2 hours.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Care to provide quote evidence of said errors? I honestly challenge people to do so. I've yet to see a single quote in support of said gross factual errors besides pricing.

I mean this with all respect, but simply 'hugh confirmed it' does not cut it. He isn't exactly rational when it comes to matters concerning negativity towards ns2 (understandably).
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    everyone's entitled to their own opinion but... "dated graphics" as a reason to strike the score? you'd think reviewers for prominent websites of all people would know graphics don't make the game. something tells me he gave minecraft a better score.