NS Community, you are amazing

DaemonlaudDaemonlaud Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11637Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Devs take stock of what you see on this forum</div>Anyone else here been on a Blizzard or Battlefield forum in the last 6 years?

Or just about any competitive or multiplayer game?

On this forum are several dozen threads of polite, insightful commentary and feedback. There has never been a community around a multiplayer game that has acted so mature, so intelligent, so close to its release.

I see, what, ONE retarded single-paragraph whine thread? And most of the people replying to <i>that</i> are doing so sensibly and in a restrained, constructive manner.

I hope the devs realise what a blue moon event this community is, and they appreciate and listen to the feedback given. They have put so much into this game, we all want it to end well.

Comments

• godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    I could excuse the devs for a long time. They've been so hard at work for the longest time, putting all their effort, and everything on the line for their passions.

"I could've been working at Zynga"- (paraphrased Charlie)

They've got a lot of money now. I'm betting they'll stay afloat in business for a good long time. NS2 has made them much more money than NS1, because NS2 is an actual product. It's time to hire some good hands, and... take a vacation. A year off, at least. That's what I would do if I were the devs. Let someone else carry on their vision. With a team this small, and this much money coming in? I bet they have the money to do just that.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    NS2 has one of the best communities I've ever joined. Even if I absolutely hated this game, I would still play it for the community alone.
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    Not to crush dreams or anything, but if NS2 ever becomes a success on the level of World of Warcraft or Battlefield or whatever, kiss the nice community goodbye. Generally games with smaller communities are friendlier, and it also helps that this game is a bit more complicated than the average game of today. Anything with mass appeal... forget about it.
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    That doesn't have to be true though. I think this game does have a lot of mass appeal.. i mean ###### there's probably nothing easier in the world for a CoD kiddie to do than run around and kill skulks right now. I took several months off from the game and when I came back my first game as marines I got 15 kills on my first life.. playing a marine really isn't that complicated at all.

But the community has existed for a long time, and people around here tend to only get bad attitudes towards people that actually deserve it. If that continues for the first couple months after release I think that people will know that we don't tolerate that kind of ###### around here.
  • zip_devzip_dev Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168186Members
    I absolutely loved the first NS game. I am very proud to own NS2 and even with the small flaws this game has (performance is kind of big right now, but I'm sure it will be improved) I find myself completely addicted to it. I hope the servers stay populated. This is my new go-to game besides TF2.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2015007:date=Nov 8 2012, 04:51 AM:name=Daemonlaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daemonlaud @ Nov 8 2012, 04:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope the devs realise what a blue moon event this community is, and they appreciate and listen to the feedback given.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We do realize it, do appreciate it, and we do listen.
    <!--quoteo(post=2015020:date=Nov 8 2012, 05:05 AM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Nov 8 2012, 05:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's time to hire some good hands, and... take a vacation. A year off, at least. That's what I would do if I were the devs. Let someone else carry on their vision. With a team this small, and this much money coming in? I bet they have the money to do just that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ha, we'd love to take a lot of time off, but there is too much to do to keep making the game better and better! We have a lot of ideas for improvements and additions and are very excited for the future.

--Cory
  • SootySooty Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11416Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015035:date=Nov 8 2012, 01:32 PM:name=Hyperforms)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hyperforms @ Nov 8 2012, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to crush dreams or anything, but if NS2 ever becomes a success on the level of World of Warcraft or Battlefield or whatever, kiss the nice community goodbye. Generally games with smaller communities are friendlier, and it also helps that this game is a bit more complicated than the average game of today. Anything with mass appeal... forget about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What! I absolutely adore the LoL community even though I barely play the game anymore at this moment at least. And the community is huge, and in the kind of game you would expect toxicity to thrive, yet they surmounted it to a good extent.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Taking some vacations probably would make the game advance faster, it really helps to have clearer view on something when you take a bit of distance, forget about it for a while and come back. The flaws specially jump into your face :)
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2015131:date=Nov 8 2012, 05:27 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 8 2012, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ha, we'd love to take a lot of time off, but there is too much to do to keep making the game better and better! We have a lot of ideas for improvements and additions and are very excited for the future.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Clearly this calls for a compromise. Use your profits to get a mini-bar and jacuzzi installed in the office. Best of both worlds!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    the challenge will be to keep the community this way, lest it turn into the elitist fest NS1 went through.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2015007:date=Nov 8 2012, 02:51 PM:name=Daemonlaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daemonlaud @ Nov 8 2012, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope the devs realise what a blue moon event this community is, and they appreciate and listen to the feedback given. They have put so much into this game, we all want it to end well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've always felt it has been a two-way street. From Max bootstrapping anything he looks at almost by accident ("oops, I built a CMS"), to Cory's terrifying imagination concealed by his bafflingly placid exterior, to Charlie's epic smile and eternally open kimono...

These guys, and all who have rallied to their cause since, have grown as one big surprisingly functional family. We have our moments of stress, and we certainly have our fights... But at the end of the day it is all driven by our love for this game and its universe... Even when we argue over game balance, client performance, or tournament rules, it always seems to be two sides arguing over what's best for the game as opposed to what is fair or unfair to an individual.

I've never felt an "us" and "them" divide between the devs and the community. I've seen devs disagreeing with other devs just as I've seen community members disagreeing with other community members. I've seen devs and community members working together to solve bugs and I've seen community members become devs. These devs have continuously trusted us and involved us in major game-design decisions, and even now a sizeable number of these community members now make up the bulk of what would normally be community management, comms & marketing, level design and quality assurance teams (forum mods, mappers, youtubers, internal playtesters, alpha/beta playtesters, etc).

The line has become so blurry I can't even see it any more.

<!--quoteo(post=2015035:date=Nov 8 2012, 03:32 PM:name=Hyperforms)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hyperforms @ Nov 8 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to crush dreams or anything, but if NS2 ever becomes a success on the level of World of Warcraft or Battlefield or whatever, kiss the nice community goodbye. Generally games with smaller communities are friendlier, and it also helps that this game is a bit more complicated than the average game of today. Anything with mass appeal... forget about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->There is some truth in this... The core community that stuck with Unknown Worlds through thick and thin are relatively small in number. Even if our population remains constant, we will quite naturally become a minority group if this game's popularity gains critical mass like NS1 did...

To be perfectly honest, the same thing happened back then too. NS1 had a small hardcore following long before it was released. When it was released, the masses flocked to the forums and their voices became the majority opinion of the "community". As an example of this, I still can't help but feel this is part of what caused the 1.x and 2.x versions of NS1 to be so vastly different from each other.

But NS1's popularity did eventually wane... The masses eventually did move on to the next big fad... And the core of this community remained.

Let the masses come. Let the forums be filled with more noise than signal. We'll still be here if the dust ever settles. :)
  • PhilkPhilk Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167510Members
    I play Starcraft 2 and I frequently check the forums. It makes me ashamed of playing the game...

This community is really awesome and friendly, it is a pleasure to come read things here.
  • DaemonlaudDaemonlaud Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11637Members
    edited November 2012
    Let me give my ###### in other threads some context, and express my respect from the dev team.

I am sad to say I actually left the community sometime in 2004, due to being unable to find a game of NS over the proliferation of combat servers and not massively liking the direction the 2.0 iteration was heading. Looking back at the PMs still in my account from that time, I see some of the arguments I was having with Dark Nemesis and MonsieurEvil (both who eventually became devs themselves I think - I wonder where they are now?) and...I really missed that community and the discussions we had on it.

And I am ashamed to say I wrote off NS2 as a vapour-ware mod. I have a friend who was asked for capital finance from Unknown some time ago, and he too thought it just too risky and unlikely to pull through, he told me, somewhat sheepishly yesterday!

But you did. I stand here astonished and very nearly reverent at the dedication and tenacity of the devs, past and present.

<!--quoteo(post=2015286:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:47 AM:name=Philk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Philk @ Nov 8 2012, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play Starcraft 2 and I frequently check the forums. It makes me ashamed of playing the game...

This community is really awesome and friendly, it is a pleasure to come read things here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This is much more Teamliquid than Battle.net...but it's still way better than even TL.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015020:date=Nov 8 2012, 03:05 PM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Nov 8 2012, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They've got a lot of money now. I'm betting they'll stay afloat in business for a good long time. NS2 has made them much more money than NS1, because NS2 is an actual product. It's time to hire some good hands, and... take a vacation. A year off, at least. That's what I would do if I were the devs. Let someone else carry on their vision. With a team this small, and this much money coming in? I bet they have the money to do just that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wouldn't say that yet. They will have made something in the region of $1,000,000 in revenue from selling NS2 on steam, and they have about 10 guys working for them. That money will only cover operations of that size for a year or so I would guess (although of course NS2 will continue to sell and hopefully very well!). It's impossible for us to say how much cash they had around prior to release though.