Natural Selection 2 News Update - ESL Tournament and 7 Days of NS2

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - ESL Tournament and 7 Days of NS2 here

Comments

• perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    Congratulation on great sales guys!
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Needs more plushies.

Congrats UWE!
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm quite impressed at the portion of Au&NZ sales compared to the rest of the world. :D
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Really remarkable launch. I had my worries over ns2's potential success but it has turned out better than i had ever hoped.

Congrats!
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    Nice! I had to squint to read the graphic though... Is there a bigger version available?
  • m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    Yay! Awesome job. :) I don't suppose there will be first person POV by the time of the tournament? ^_^ Wishful thinking, I know.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2014709:date=Nov 8 2012, 10:34 AM:name=stickyboot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stickyboot @ Nov 8 2012, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice! I had to squint to read the graphic though... Is there a bigger version available?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When you click on the graphic, you will see a little magnifying glass pop up. Click on that for full size. It's all on the Facebook page :)
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Congratulations on a successful launch!

It's awesome to see Iceland there on the list. I'm just at this moment working on getting that community started again, seems to be going well.

Iceland ftw!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Congratulations on a successful launch guys and I can't wait to see what other great ideas you come up with for future games.
    Cheers!
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I was kind of hoping the winners of the NA and EU tournaments would battle it out to secure the title of the best in the world :)

Don't even have to fly people around. You can either pick a server location that has relatively the same latency from EU and NA, or you can do a series where the server location alternates between NA and EU.
  • Evil_SheepEvil_Sheep Join Date: 2005-03-15 Member: 45345Members
    <i><b>"NS2 has grossed over one million dollars in its first week."</b></i>

Congrats, you guys are officially big time. This is a victory for persistence and sheer bloody-mindedness. It is a lot harder to get a good, working game out the door after 7 years of development than after 2. The path behind you is littered with big failures.

This is also a victory for the little guys. It is very inspiring for other game developers and dreamers when one man with a vision can attain a significant milestone of success against the Call of Duty's and Assassin's Creeds of the world.

Now I hope that UWE can build on this momentum to take NS2 to the next level with some substantial updates, not just balance but I hope significant new content as well. The game still needs a lot of work and polish if it is to be comparable to a masterpiece like Starcraft, if there is a hope to have a similarly successful e-sports scene.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    i'm surprised by the number of people that own the game but haven't played a single game. 75,000 games played since launch? is that correct? or is that just for build 228?

Edit: nevermind i'm an idiot. I forgot that multiple people play the same game.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    For the curious, since we can safely say sales are between $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 (otherwise they would have said "over two million"), we can know that launch week sales were between 25,000 and 80,000 copies. If we knew the ratio of deluxe edition to standard edition sales, we could narrow that down a bit.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I'm calling it now: Exertus will drop Onos quicker than Archaea.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    imo it deserves to do better...

but i suppose that could be because good old fashioned, classic, competitive-style PC FPS games are my favourite type of game. most people seem to prefer braindead dopamine-inducing games like borderlands, world of warcraft and trade fortress 2.
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2014709:date=Nov 7 2012, 04:34 PM:name=stickyboot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stickyboot @ Nov 7 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice! I had to squint to read the graphic though... Is there a bigger version available?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Did that, but it only expands to be a little big bigger. I clicked the link off the development tracker and it brought me to the full size version. Freakin javascript image viewers.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014835:date=Nov 8 2012, 01:05 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 8 2012, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->imo it deserves to do better...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

absolutely - i guess its also a lot to do with advertising budget. This is where I think a free weekend trial on steam might help sales. (probably a good idea to do it before the XMAS sales start where NS2 will get lost in the sea of deals).

ns2 is just so much fun now that its been polished, i really hope the sales quadruple at the very least, ns2 does so much that no game has ever done, and whats more does it very well. its kept the fundamental PC things in there as well that many games have slowly been forgetting.
  • quintoxquintox Join Date: 2008-11-27 Member: 65594Members
    edited November 2012
    Congratulations guys! With that raised funding, maybe it's time to pump some of it into promoting NS2 even more :) That would increase its success even more, generating more money for you to use on NS2 or future projects. Win/win! :D
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Suggestions for the NS2 homepage:
    - Add the launch trailer!!
    - Add link to buy the game from Steam, or at least make it more obvious that people would get a key to use on Steam after they purchase (there's a little Steam logo now and that's it).
    - Add quotes from reviews.
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Oh and cool stats and congrats etc. I would've liked to see a graph of sales over time, starting from alpha days (where I'm guessing the graph would be puny relative to where it was on launch day).
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    Very well done. I hope to see some content expansions soon.
  • SpookasemSpookasem Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157836Members
    I'm so happy for you guys! After reading the interview on Rock Paper Shotgun of how close UWE came to closing its doors I'm so thrilled that you were able to pull through. Independant studios that try new concepts and push boundaries deserve all the support they can get.

I'm even dreaming of NS2 in the evenings... maybe I'm playing too much? I was a fade last night and in the previous dream I was commanding aliens and dropping hives everywhere! :P
  • BitterAlmondBitterAlmond Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150454Members
    I'd be interested to see "Sales per capita" for each country.
  • MarZMarZ Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162473Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Its nice to hear that you sold a lot of ns2 versions, but im sad to see that there are still less reviews of ns2 by gaming news sites e.g. gamestar.de or pcgames.de and many other well-known gaming sites(from german point of view).
    NS2 could have a better success if more gamers would know how awesome it is! Dont understand why these sites are not mention your game on their homepages. Did they ever played NS2 ? If they did they must noticed that it is nearly perfect.
  • vupvup Join Date: 2007-10-28 Member: 62763Members
    really excited about cologne !
  • BeerCanBeerCan Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164815Members
    Any news update about the black screen? None of this forum fix did anything for me.
  • Archangel767Archangel767 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168292Members
    Just letting you guys know that I'm waking up at 5AM just to watch you guys and everything to kick off on the livestream. I'd love to see this game go competitive in eSports land, because it honestly has the potential to be one of the greatest shooters out there.

Also, congrats on the sales. Fully deserving of the money you've made, this really is one of the most brilliant games I've brought this year.
  • oskurooskuro Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13232Members
    Yeah cool, u deserve that!!!

Im from Spain and looks like here many 4 packs bought!! hehehehe.

I bought single deluxe edition, hope you sell a lot more units!!!!!!

Cant wait for the tournament!
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    Just a quick heads up. You never actually mention what day the games between exertus and arc are. I'd assume since it's just the final it's one day. All you give is the time.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2015510:date=Nov 8 2012, 04:37 PM:name=greenpee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (greenpee @ Nov 8 2012, 04:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a quick heads up. You never actually mention what day the games between exertus and arc are. I'd assume since it's just the final it's one day. All you give is the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's November 10th, at least that's what the application site is saying. But i agree, having the day in the news would be more handy.
    And gz UWE for having these great sales! But it's kinda sad that we only got a player-peak of 7.135 players, with 144.000 copies out there that feels kinda low, let's hope it's gonna reach new peaks every day.

Now let's think about ways to get the top-seller spot on Steam again :D