Dear Marine Commanders

NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
Please stop building robo and sentries before all of the upgrades and resource nodes. We are tired of sitting through hour long games that have already been decided within the first minutes by your tech decision making, or lack of it.

signed,
fellow marines that care about winning

Comments

• RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lol were you in a game with 3 people on each team and the alien team quit out?
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Dear Unknown Worlds Entertainment,

Please reinstate the sentry turrets of yore that were actually effective at slaughtering aliens so that said Marine Commanders can continue their horrible strategies. Its easier that way.

Signed,
    The Great Society of Fellow Marine Commanders
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also singed by me (Fellow Alien)
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    edited November 2012
    Ah, what can you do?
    NS1 had these silly turtle in base marine "strategies" on launch as well.

Give it time.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    Admittedly, I made this mistake once and felt like an idiot when we lost in the first ten minutes.

Arms lab should definitely come first.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2013652:date=Nov 7 2012, 04:38 AM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Nov 7 2012, 04:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, what can you do?
    NS1 had these silly turtle in base marine "strategies" on launch as well.

Give it time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can walk on my hands?
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013642:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:31 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 7 2012, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please stop building robo and sentries before all of the upgrades and resource nodes. We are tired of sitting through hour long games that have already been decided within the first minutes by your tech decision making, or lack of it.

signed,
    fellow marines that care about winning<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I keep forgetting to build the robo until usually 3 or 4 res nodes are down and/or a second CC and I'm like "where's my Mac's"... by that time it's the point I would start needing them REALLY soon.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2013686:date=Nov 6 2012, 09:07 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Nov 6 2012, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I keep forgetting to build the robo until usually 3 or 4 res nodes are down and/or a second CC and I'm like "where's my Mac's"... by that time it's the point I would start needing them REALLY soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You never NEED macs, you NEED well equipped marines to kill aliens. I can't tell you how many times I've completely dominated marine comms that feel the need to have people sit in one location forever or never get upgrades until 6 or so minutes into the game. If you don't have atleast armor or weapons 1 in the first 5 minutes your marines are going to hate you.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Sentries have their place. You buy them after you've bought your six ARCs.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013690:date=Nov 7 2012, 04:12 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Nov 7 2012, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You never NEED macs, you NEED well equipped marines to kill aliens. I can't tell you how many times I've completely dominated marine comms that feel the need to have people sit in one location forever or never get upgrades until 6 or so minutes into the game. If you don't have atleast armor or weapons 1 in the first 5 minutes your marines are going to hate you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    oh this is usually 20-30 min in with 3 bases. I like to drop a mac in each location just so I don't have to remember to get marines to weld up the base if an alien tries to chomp on through.

I like to also send them out to an area that might have got decimated and have it build up for me.
    I took over a hive that my squad killed and moved on out of to the next area, had 2 mac's on the EXO at the time, kept one behind and build all my buildings.

Just placed and forgot, go back 5min later to a functioning base.

All the while my team of 4 running around were busy keeping each other alive + 1 mac.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    I have never placed robo lab or sentrys as a comm. It's always armoury and arms lab first, and then quickly getting shotguns and upgrades followed by phase gates and then jetpacks. If you can hold onto a few RTs and then just stop the aliens taking the others you can quickly get up to A3/W3 shotgun jetpacks and push on the hives.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    I've been in recent games where the only way to get something built, let alone repaired was to use Mac's. Some teams don't coordinate well.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    At the moment, commanding on Marines in pubs, is useless. Nobody listens and the ones that do, don't know where/what the hell they're doing. I love commanding. I have commanded about 90% of the time in NS1. However, my stress level far outweighs the level of enjoyment from commanding at the moment. I'll leave it for PUGs and scrims. Thanks!
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    Commanded a game the other day that we got beat hard, loss two bases and could not get my team to organize for anything. I even tried beconing them to get the all in the same place at the same time.

At the end of our long painful loss, I was informed that I did a good job but should have gotten dual Exo's immediately and we would have won.

My point is, what works today might fail tomorrow. Sometimes quick arms lab works, sometimes robotics works, other times your team can't find their backside from a hole in the ground and it is just a delayed execution.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    dear marine commanders :

spamming med packs and ammo packs at 1min passed game with only 1rt is not a good strategy either, i know you are eager to be good commander but ammo and health cost resources wich you can't afford to spam when marines are 10m away from armory and infantry portal shooting aliens.

thanks.

this happened to me actually while i was playing alien, i was skulking their rt's until i noticed they didn't have any and went near their base where their com started to spam medpacks to 2 marines just next to their base ;F he spammed like 10 medpacks to them.
  • LtKramerLtKramer Join Date: 2012-10-08 Member: 161873Members
    I played as commander on a public server yesterday. The game went like this, basically: I had a mic (only one on the team apparently). I told them to just pressure for Turbine and Lava Falls and we would win. Everyone of course went to Pipeworks. One guy built two res nodes though (Thank you!). One minute into the game one skuk starts biting the res nodes. First the one closest to turbine then gradually moving towards base. I tell people to save the res nodes. Everyone still went to Pipeworks. After 2 minutes of biting that one skulk got both of the res down. Noone rebuilt. 10 minutes into the game (on one res node) I get yelled at for not having a3/w3 and exos up. Commanding pubs can be frustrating these days :S
  • baphometsayshibaphometsayshi Join Date: 2011-06-20 Member: 105543Members
    I think the increase in commanders building robo factories is a result of one or more of the following during games:

- Watching a group of 2-3 marines getting killed by one skulk
    - Asking, BEGGING, marines to phase to a base under attack and they leisurely stop by an armory, humping it a few times, before maybe 1 or 2 slowly amble through the gate
    - Specific nodes/areas falling to alien attack over and over again even though a marine is only 10 seconds of sprinting away (or worse, he just has to go through a PG)

You want commanders to stop dropping turret farms?

Show some competency as a marine.
  • Restless FragerRestless Frager Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167960Members
    All the hate at new players, makes me chuckle.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014463:date=Nov 7 2012, 05:25 PM:name=PoNeH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PoNeH @ Nov 7 2012, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the moment, commanding on Marines in pubs, is useless. Nobody listens and the ones that do, don't know where/what the hell they're doing. I love commanding. I have commanded about 90% of the time in NS1. However, my stress level far outweighs the level of enjoyment from commanding at the moment. I'll leave it for PUGs and scrims. Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I recommend trying "noob-proof" builds. This is one I like to use; first choose whether you want upgrades or phase first, I like phase on most maps. Then, secure extractors (you can keep more with phase tech). Get your observatory as fast as you can and research those phasegates, or get an arms lab for upgrades. When you are controlling at least half the map, start getting upgrades, shotguns, and the advanced armoury. This order is the best imo - w1, shotguns, a1, a2, a3, w2, w3 (make sure to get welders first). w1 first because it would take an extra shot to kill a fade and lerk with a shotty. Grab the second Command Station when you have the res, and build the protolab when you see that most of your marines have around 55 res. Research exosuits and dual exosuits. Now this is the hard part because it requires a lot of co-operation from your marines. Beacon them, telling them to grab exosuits and push towards x hive. This is a lot harder to accomplish if you build your proto in a forward location, because it would require your marines to take 2 steps: first phase, then grab the exosuits. Most of your marines will get confused by the first step and get lost along the way even if you yell at them, so it won't be as effective even though your exosuits start closer to the hive. If you build in your main base, only a small amount of marines will get lost. This you can use to your advantage however, as you can build a robo right as your men get exosuits and quickly make macs to support them. Keep getting upgrades, and as most of your men are in exosuits, they should be able to clean up most of the map in one push. If they are having trouble breaking defenses, make ARCs and offensive sentries. Otherwise, save the res to replace the exosuits you lost. Almost all of the time if I lose it's because the other team had better players with this strat. If you have good players on your team, you can consider getting jetpacks first and keep them supplied with shotguns to support your less than capable marines.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    Always proto before robo.....