How reliable is draw damage?

blackholedreamsblackholedreams Join Date: 2004-02-04 Member: 26023Members
I feel like I've been having issues with hit detection at an abnormal rate in this game so far, and while it may just be my less than stellar FPS (20-50), I noticed something odd. Using a pistol on a whip today, I emptied the magazine and saw what seemed like the appropriate damage drawn. I then emptied two more magazines into the thing, but I noticed a drastic difference in the damage drawn. Firing full speed, I saw the occasional 20 and 40 interspersed with nothing. Normally the draw damage keeps a running total, but what I was seeing implied I was missing. Which should be impossible, as I was just outside of its attack range aiming center mass on a stationary target. What the hell is going on?

Comments

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013699:date=Nov 7 2012, 04:27 PM:name=blackholedreams)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackholedreams @ Nov 7 2012, 04:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like I've been having issues with hit detection at an abnormal rate in this game so far, and while it may just be my less than stellar FPS (20-50), I noticed something odd. Using a pistol on a whip today, I emptied the magazine and saw what seemed like the appropriate damage drawn. I then emptied two more magazines into the thing, but I noticed a drastic difference in the damage drawn. Firing full speed, I saw the occasional 20 and 40 interspersed with nothing. Normally the draw damage keeps a running total, but what I was seeing implied I was missing. Which should be impossible, as I was just outside of its attack range aiming center mass on a stationary target. What the hell is going on?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    draw damage is 100% reliable as it is sent to you from the server.

What isn't reliable is hit reg on buildings that are flinching (there may be another hit reg reason, but this is the most likely one in this case). This is a known bug and you may very readily reproduce it yourself by shooting at an alien harvestor. I had no idea the same thing was occuring for whips. Where on the whip were you shooting? Base, middle, tip?
  • blackholedreamsblackholedreams Join Date: 2004-02-04 Member: 26023Members
    I was hitting roughly the middle, the fattest target. Are the hit detection issues worsened by anything in particular?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013720:date=Nov 7 2012, 05:01 PM:name=blackholedreams)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackholedreams @ Nov 7 2012, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was hitting roughly the middle, the fattest target. Are the hit detection issues worsened by anything in particular?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    With the way ns2 handles instructions, i don't think bullets can disappear into a 'network void'. FPS volatility might cause slight input delays however which cause the timing of your stamps to go out but thats really my own conjecture and is probably wrong. This would only affect moving targets anyway and not against stationary targets. So it is most likely the structure flinching rego bug thing. You can type collision in console in your own server with cheats 1, dev 1 on and you'll be able to see the hitboxes for structures if you want to test/experiment more yourself.

The workaround that i've found is just to shoot the base of the whip in order to get reliable rego. Shooting the base of any structure seems to minimize the amount of damage loss from structure rego.
  • hiloboyshiloboys Join Date: 2008-05-27 Member: 64340Members
    Depends on the weapon / target. Majority of them are spot on, but ive noticed that bile bomb doesn't exactly seem to register correctly as to how much armor its removing. Ive bile bombed many exos for around -1000 ~ -1500ish damage, and its still alive. I know they dont have much more than 500 armor even with full armor upgrades. I know that a marine/bot was not welding him. I think some of the numbers may be off on certain things. (Lerk spikes are another)

But all in all i think that the marines ones are pretty spot on.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014424:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:00 PM:name=hiloboys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hiloboys @ Nov 7 2012, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depends on the weapon / target. Majority of them are spot on, but ive noticed that bile bomb doesn't exactly seem to register correctly as to how much armor its removing. Ive bile bombed many exos for around -1000 ~ -1500ish damage, and its still alive. I know they dont have much more than 500 armor even with full armor upgrades. I know that a marine/bot was not welding him. I think some of the numbers may be off on certain things. (Lerk spikes are another)

But all in all i think that the marines ones are pretty spot on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is because NS2's armor and damage type design is horrible (sorry). In no other game I have ever seen is effective health scaled by damage type instead of the damage being scaled. It should always take the same amount of damage to kill something, especially if you decide to make the damage numbers accessible to the player.

This means that to kill 570 armor you need to do 1140 damage with a weapon that does "normal" damage (which are all weapons except for pistol, mines and miniguns), but 2280 damage with a weapon that does "light" damage. This is extremely confusing and leads to people not trusting the damage numbers and hitreg. E.g. it takes 90 rifle damage to kill a skulk, but the 25 damage per shot pistol needs 5 shots since the skulk has more effective health against light damage.

More about damage types in this post here (maybe I should do a sticky post about this?): <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=123563&view=findpost&p=2011762" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2011762</a>
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOC72y1nQ4g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOC72y1nQ4g</a>
    draw damage doesn't seem to be very reliable to me. I have also shot a player, had no damage draw, but had the player confirm that they did take damage.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Hm, maybe the damage numbers are sent unreliably from the server and can get lost on the way to the client?
  • g1realg1real Join Date: 2005-05-28 Member: 52633Members
    I've had so many problems with damage being dealt and numbers being displayed, skulk bites doing 25 damage repeatedly, sometimes 50, and half the time 75. Also have had so many occasions where I assumed I had hit but did not, in fact, missed EVERYTHING.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2016379:date=Nov 9 2012, 04:48 AM:name=g1real)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1real @ Nov 9 2012, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've had so many problems with damage being dealt and numbers being displayed, skulk bites doing 25 damage repeatedly, sometimes 50, and half the time 75. Also have had so many occasions where I assumed I had hit but did not, in fact, missed EVERYTHING.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be the most obvious problem ever. This is an intended mechanic.
    If you don't hit your bite on the center of your screen you will do less damage (either 50 or 25). This was introduced shortly before release and without this mechanic your 50 and 25 damage bites you have now would do <b>no damage at all</b>.

Anecdotal evidence ("I feel like I should have hit") is also of no use at all.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    I think many players by now have realized the damage numbers mean very little. Marine side they may as well be randomly generated numbers as they don't indicate how much damage has been done in any meaningful way.

It only takes several hundred instances of -150, -190's on non-carapace skulks that still run away to realize damage numbers are broken or something much more important is broken.
    I'm not doubting there is something wrong, but I'm rather interested in why I haven't seen anything like this personally. I haven't had any issues with damage numbers being off since they were changed to being server side.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Would be nice if there were any tools or debugging features left over to make investigating these sorts of things possible / reasonable.