Vortex: Fade T3 Ability Questions

2»

Comments

• ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2012181:date=Nov 6 2012, 04:54 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 6 2012, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its actually just a very hard skill to learn how to use.
    Its basically in the game in order to distinguish between the really good fades and the really bad fades.
    Essentially the really good fades just wont use it and the really bad fades will think they are doing something productive and die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really. I've played a lot of games, mostly in beta though, where really good fades would use it really effectivly. In pub games I tend to see players from the top teams use it very well. I think after you're 'Its basically in the game in order to distinguish between the really good fades and the really bad fades.' comment it sould have said somthing like 'Essentially the really good fades use it and make a big diffrence and help out thier team out in a lot of way and the really bad fades will think they are doing something productive and die.'
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    It would be really cool if when vortex was cast, smaller life forms could go through a vortex at hive an pop out where the fade cast the vortex :P
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    hang on a minute... how does vortex even work?

about an hour ago i was playing as marine and a vortex was dropped, about 5 metres away from me. my entire screen went black and white... but i could still move around... was i in the vortex then or what?

if so, the range is flipping humongous.

just checked the wiki, it's range 4 - that's the same as mine blast radius. W T F... yeah it costs a lot of energy, that's some strong sh*t :/
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2013510:date=Nov 6 2012, 06:13 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 6 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hang on a minute... how does vortex even work?

about an hour ago i was playing as marine and a vortex was dropped, about 5 metres away from me. my entire screen went black and white... but i could still move around... was i in the vortex then or what?

if so, the range is flipping humongous.

just checked the wiki, it's range 4 - that's the same as mine blast radius. W T F... yeah it costs a lot of energy, that's some strong sh*t :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It disables buildings, and makes marines unable to do or take damage.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Ironhorse, you mean like an 'assassinate' or 'marked for death' ability?

Especially if it cut off hit detection to other Marines, 2 swipes each among 3 grouped marines is annoying, if you could clip through 2, Fades would be alot more viable against grouped Marines. Would this be a Shade ability? Or another 3rd hive ability? Why only have one ability per lifeform per hive/tech level? Theres is no rule against more is there?

Aliens could be fleahed out a bit more without changing what we have, which works when its*ment* to I think most agree.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    It's not useful, it's far to short in duration, and if you want to have a structure shut down it requires the fade to babysit it, which isn't possible because fades aren't the goddamn terminator.
  • minos_minos_ Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165722Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2012832:date=Nov 6 2012, 10:33 AM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 6 2012, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there are 2 shotgun marines, vortex 1 and kill the other. then kill the vortexed one when he pops back.

there's an exo and a welder, vortex the exo then kill the welder then attack/flee from the exo... etc.according to the wiki).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure, going to blink in, vortex the welder without hitting the exo that he is pressed against, then kill the exo in the three and a half seconds that the welder is momentarily annoyed. Sounds plausible.

<!--quoteo(post=2013698:date=Nov 6 2012, 11:25 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 6 2012, 11:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not useful, it's far to short in duration, and if you want to have a structure shut down it requires the fade to babysit it, which isn't possible because fades aren't the goddamn terminator.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mostly this is the problem. Generally the marines shoot fades in their bases, and since it takes two shotgun blasts to take down a fade, you'll probably never get off more than two vortexes on one structure, even with adrenaline. I mean, maybe you planned on walking around the base to save energy, but then you'll be dead before you can drop the third vortex.
  • hiloboyshiloboys Join Date: 2008-05-27 Member: 64340Members
    So i take it no one knows if using vortex on the comm chair that the comm is currently in forces him out of it or not?
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    Random point to throw into the mix: A vortex doesn't feel very biological. it would be cooler to envelop them in goo, or a clod, or something... or since Fades are all about movement, maybe lay down movement impairing goo on the floor or something.

Yes. I like goo.
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    Random point to throw into the mix: A vortex doesn't feel very biological. it would be cooler to envelop them in goo, or a clod, or something... or since Fades are all about movement, maybe lay down movement impairing goo on the floor or something.

Yes. I like goo.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited November 2012
    Aliens already got a lot of goo stuff. Teleporting around isn't very biological, but the fade does it and no one questions it cuz its rad. look here, its all about quantum biology miexed with bacterial magic. When you think about it, it makes ALOT of sense. yep
  • SyriquezSyriquez Join Date: 2005-01-29 Member: 38979Members
    Strictly speaking, the game is basically magic technological nanites versus magic biological nanites.

Anyway. Vortex doesn't last long enough and really should disable the Marine a little more heavily. They basically use it as an excuse to run back to safety. I like the idea of goo-ing the Marines with a Fade T3 though. Maybe a combination of the old Acid Rocket with the old Web.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Just allow vortex to work on the power node.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015959:date=Nov 8 2012, 05:30 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Nov 8 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just allow vortex to work on the power node.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Power nodes are already enough of a ridiculous crippling to the marine team.
  • hiloboyshiloboys Join Date: 2008-05-27 Member: 64340Members
    Can anyone verify yet if vortex works on a marine in a comm chair forcing them out? Thx