Not worth the wait?

woofedwoofed Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167807Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I just bought ns2.. i loved ns1.. however.. im disapointed.

NS2 has.. so many issues that make me dislike the game.

Its very unbalanced.. hitboxes are terrible.. and.. its just not anywhere close to ns1...

Anyone else agree? Disagree? explain why

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    NS1 will always be the better game in my mind, but NS2 is still a very good game as well.

If you played 1.04 NS1 and compared it against 3.0+ they are two totally different games. NS2 will get there, but if your expecting NS1 style quality at release then well... you already know.

The engine will continually get updated, new maps will be released, tech tree's reshuffled, hp/damage modified, new tech, new meta, changes to economy, movement, hitreg.

I only started NS2 beta in b214 (4-5 months ago) and the game in terms of optimisation, bugs and everything has come a very long way. Despite what all us oldschool ns1 players think, the game has been quite the success.

It's only when you compare it against the extremely polished 3.1/3.2 that you can be disappointed. (excluding engine problems). Everyone has been absolutely spoiled by the amazing gift goldsrc & source engine is to gaming. Any games that don't use these two engines are a bit in the air
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited November 2012
    Well I haven't had a wait since I've played NS2 since the alpha. Since then performance has improved massively and I think it'll continue to improve a bit more. I'm sure they'll figure out how to fix hit boxes and what not.

So if your gripes are mainly technical, maybe you should come back in a few months and see how it feels then. There are still some major things to work on and I'm confident they will get done eventually. NS2 now is not how NS2 is always going to be.

As for balance - the round win/loss ratio<i> is</i> very balanced. Certain gameplay elements are not balanced, and that causes frustration and boredom for some.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    I just have to admit that ns2 is quite disappointing. ns1 is still a better game for the moment.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    NS2 is a lot of fun, but its no NS1. I enjoy the first person shooter nearly as much as i did NS1 but the strategy aspect is still lacking there really arnt any surprises in the game. Sure someone might try rushing a specific tech, but most games unfold in a fairly efficient and therfore predictable manner. Although like fatalities said its still in progress, so perhaps the complexity will increase (no need to make it to complex until their player base becomes somewhat familiar with the game).
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I think you should give the game time, contemplate the number of AAA games that have less than desirable launches and then look at ns2 in that context, with the effort that the developers put into it and what they still intend to do without charging for DLC or season passes. Performance will continue to be worked on, balance further explored, and mods will breath freshness into the game down the line; I think its to early to pass off the game as a "disappointment" just yet, its not like what you see is what you will ever get.
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    I'm having more fun in NS2 than I ever did in NS1. And I played aloooot of NS1 from the very first day to even after 3.0.

I know that NS1 games, even pubs, the caliber of players were far superior than what we have right now. Games are drawn out and repetetive, but when both teams work together.... the games are just phenomenal.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013489:date=Nov 7 2012, 12:56 PM:name=woofed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (woofed @ Nov 7 2012, 12:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just bought ns2.. i loved ns1.. however.. im disapointed.

NS2 has.. so many issues that make me dislike the game.

Its very unbalanced.. hitboxes are terrible.. and.. its just not anywhere close to ns1...

Anyone else agree? Disagree? explain why<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find a game quite balanced, it all depends on your team.
    Esp the Comm being able to listen and communicate with the rest of the team and actively respond to requests or give clear directions.

I've played games that have had the same team make-up on the same map 3 times and the only difference was who was comm... Changed the balance entirely!
  • SherwoodSherwood Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157696Members
    There were some aspects of ns1 I liked better but overall I thought ns1 was a bad game due to factors like an old outdated engine that everyone cheated on. Fades were just too powerful in ns1, and many things were unbalanced. I also found ns1 too devastating in reguards to resources and the loss of them. while ns2 seems a bit more forgiving in that aspect.

NS1 will always be a cool game to me but NS2 will always be better.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013519:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:20 AM:name=Wyattx3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyattx3 @ Nov 7 2012, 03:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Games are drawn out and repetetive, but when both teams work together.... the games are just phenomenal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This pretty much sums it up. People welding Exos while lerks support Fades and Onos with umbra and spores is still the NS feeling we all know from the past. It just doesn't happen that often, people have to get used to
    1. The game logic
    2. Always be concentrated on team work

Yesterday the marines turtled in their base, several onoses went down. After 10 minutes I saw that we had 4 Onoses. I said 'Alright, come one, team up and let's win'. It worked and was cool, while the 20 minutes before that were boring. The problem of NS2 is, that you may quit and post here before you understand how to play the game with ultimate fun (no offense, I quit sometimes, too).
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i've only heard good things about NS1, but was never intrigued enough to play it... i think i may have played about an hour or so waaaaaaaaaaaaay back between tfc and hl1 deathmatch sessions.

anyway, the current gen graphics, animations and physics etc are really what motivated me to get the game more than anything else.

it looks absolutely fantastic... as far as other top quality games go.
    the balance is fantastic... as far as other top quality games go.
    the netcode/lag/hit registration is fantastic... as far as other top quality games go.

the way i see it, NS1 must have been pretty damn insane for NS2 to be a disappointment :o
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's personal preference really. To say you are wrong is not something someone can say as it is you're oppinion and not an acctual fact up for debate. Many people agree and disagree alike. I personally prefer NS2, but that my opinion, not to say NS1 wasn't good, It was a fantastic game which is the reason I pre-ordered NS2 2 years ago. But I strongly urge you to stick around for a while. NS2 has many things in store for you yet and, although it may not end up as a better game then NS1 for you, it may start to rival it. Dont count it out just yet, even NS1 wasn't the best of games just after realese, it took many updates and new features to make it the game it has become.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I will agree there is some qualities of NS1 that are far better than NS2, I am not liking the new gorge role, nor do I like the severe limitation of buildings per player - I much prefer the older method of it being a limit per area, not per person. It relies too much on everyone gorging to create a decent defensive outpost. I hate the current weakness of the hydra and the lack of ability to create decent defense for our res nodes while the comm is busy tending to other things.

The upgrade method is also something I am not used to, at the moment in NS2 there is lack of choice in regards to upgrades, instead of having 3 choices to a chamber and being able to freely choose as the start if I want one of the three, I have to wait for the upgrades to get the choice i want for my playstayle which is now down to 2- in NS1 the gorge asked what ppl wanted, dropped the most desired chamber, then everyone could choose the most desired upgrade to their liking, in NS2 however if the upgrade silence, but I want cloak, well tough, I have to stick with silence and not get the benefits of cloak until later in the game when it becomes less useful. Even worse atm is people are not finding enough value in the other chambers, there is no debate of "we could benefit with blah, but then blah might be good, oh marines are going blah we should go for blah this time" it is straight on to get crapace - sure carapace was great in NS1 but it was usually mixed around as marines damage was not too bad at the start to definitely need it.

I preferred NS1 in resource importance, sure it was hard, but at the moment no one really bats an eyelid if a res node goes down, no one even goes to defend it. There needs to be that sense of importance to these nodes, its not just supposed to be a fight to kill each others comm, but a fight in everything.

I do hope some of these changes will revert to ns1 ways, but I am not sure, I really hope gorge gets more things to build, and the limit on at the moment is removed from being per player to going back to max number of x in x distance can be built, because it really sucks when you want to be a dedicated gorge but have no utility apart from heal, or bile bomb late game. I want gorge utility early game as well.

I know these are a bit negative, so some things I prefer in NS2 are in order here - Lerk flight in ns2 is amazing and easy, while I was able to master it in NS1, NS2 does flight better, now early beta it was really horrible but I am glad they listened and fixed the lerk right up, it is a dream to fly and makes it great for maneuvering and chomping jetpackers. Fade teleports are 100% better than NS1 and I am glad they did not encounter fades getting stuck in walls like they did in early NS release. The chamber variety makes kharaa seem more alive and evolutionary, and the infestation I applaud, still some tweaks needed but I am insanely happy they DID get it to work, there was a worry they wouldn't but they did. The art and quality in the textures is awesome, I am glad to see all custom work and it is top notch - in ns1 it was a lot of reused hl skins.

NS2 as I thought was to improve upon what we had, it improved graphics quality, but the gameplay is not quite there yet, I have faith in UWE, they have always put 150% in NS so I have no doubts NS2 will eventually reach and surpass the awesomeness that was in NS1. We just need to be patient :)
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To make NS2 just like NS1 there are some things they have to do:

-Switch engine to Goldsource
    -Make the maps and models look like ######
    -Make the sounds sound horrible

Now ask yourself. Do you realy want NS2 to be like NS1? :P

Go play NS1 again and you'll notice:

-You got older and slower.
    -It is not as fun as it used to be..
    -You start to cry when you realise 10 years have passed.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    Each time I play NS, it's all the opposite... I say, "Wow! What the hell, why all the new modern engines/games feels like crap in comparison to that engine/game!"
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    I must be one of the few who enjoys NS1 and NS2 it seems. Some stuff from NS1 I miss, other stuff I don't miss, and NS2 has some new stuff I like.

Don't know why people keep complaining about hit reg/boxes though. I barely notice anything different from all the other MP shooters I've played. Sure, balancing could maybe be tweaked a bit more, but from my experience I wouldn't outright call it unbalanced.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I disagree with the hitboxes being bad, they are perfect from my experience. The fact that you just bought the game and think that the hitboxes are bad already makes me think that you are bad and look for excuses by blaming external factors. Extrapolating this pattern, I disagree with your entire post.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013820:date=Nov 7 2012, 08:04 AM:name=kyliegirl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kyliegirl @ Nov 7 2012, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will agree there is some qualities of NS1 that are far better than NS2, I am not liking the new gorge role, nor do I like the severe limitation of buildings per player - I much prefer the older method of it being a limit per area, not per person. It relies too much on everyone gorging to create a decent defensive outpost. I hate the current weakness of the hydra and the lack of ability to create decent defense for our res nodes while the comm is busy tending to other things.

The upgrade method is also something I am not used to, at the moment in NS2 there is lack of choice in regards to upgrades, instead of having 3 choices to a chamber and being able to freely choose as the start if I want one of the three, I have to wait for the upgrades to get the choice i want for my playstayle which is now down to 2- in NS1 the gorge asked what ppl wanted, dropped the most desired chamber, then everyone could choose the most desired upgrade to their liking, in NS2 however if the upgrade silence, but I want cloak, well tough, I have to stick with silence and not get the benefits of cloak until later in the game when it becomes less useful. Even worse atm is people are not finding enough value in the other chambers, there is no debate of "we could benefit with blah, but then blah might be good, oh marines are going blah we should go for blah this time" it is straight on to get crapace - sure carapace was great in NS1 but it was usually mixed around as marines damage was not too bad at the start to definitely need it.

I preferred NS1 in resource importance, sure it was hard, but at the moment no one really bats an eyelid if a res node goes down, no one even goes to defend it. There needs to be that sense of importance to these nodes, its not just supposed to be a fight to kill each others comm, but a fight in everything.

I do hope some of these changes will revert to ns1 ways, but I am not sure, I really hope gorge gets more things to build, and the limit on at the moment is removed from being per player to going back to max number of x in x distance can be built, because it really sucks when you want to be a dedicated gorge but have no utility apart from heal, or bile bomb late game. I want gorge utility early game as well.

I know these are a bit negative, so some things I prefer in NS2 are in order here - Lerk flight in ns2 is amazing and easy, while I was able to master it in NS1, NS2 does flight better, now early beta it was really horrible but I am glad they listened and fixed the lerk right up, it is a dream to fly and makes it great for maneuvering and chomping jetpackers. Fade teleports are 100% better than NS1 and I am glad they did not encounter fades getting stuck in walls like they did in early NS release. The chamber variety makes kharaa seem more alive and evolutionary, and the infestation I applaud, still some tweaks needed but I am insanely happy they DID get it to work, there was a worry they wouldn't but they did. The art and quality in the textures is awesome, I am glad to see all custom work and it is top notch - in ns1 it was a lot of reused hl skins.

NS2 as I thought was to improve upon what we had, it improved graphics quality, but the gameplay is not quite there yet, I have faith in UWE, they have always put 150% in NS so I have no doubts NS2 will eventually reach and surpass the awesomeness that was in NS1. We just need to be patient :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

resources are extremely important... it's just that joe pubber doesn't realise this 95% of the time. but if he keeps losing games, eventually he'll learn that it's because he was being useless and not helping the team.

even joe pubber can be a useful member of your team if he keeps a low profile at your next logical resource node expansion, to make sure it doesn't get snatched for free by the other team.

but nooooooo, at this stage he just wants to spend 15 minutes running from main base to enemy base then get overwhelmed and die every single life. i don't blame him, it's more complex than COD etc and therefore will take some time to shrug off the "KEEL ENEMEY!111one" attitude.

remember that extra resources for commander mean faster upgrades, how can anyone say it's not useful when it's upgrade speed which determines the winning team in almost every game? that's not even mentioning that the commander can drop literally any weapon/unit on the field (except mines?) depending on what your team needs (and no, it's not ONOS ONOS ONOS... if your team have no lerks for example).

edit: it's not 'tough' if you get silence instead of cloak... it merely requires an extra 20-30 resources if you already have the appropriate hive (crag/shift/shade). obviously, the commander might be saving up for leap, a fade/onos egg or the next hive... but what's the difference between asking the commander for cloak before silence and asking the gorge in ns1?

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->fact: gamers are not as good as they were 10 years ago. if tf2 is anything to go by (even before the f2p model, although that certainly didn't help), the pub scene is unlikely to improve a great deal over time. this is because the good players stop pubbing in favour of organised games; scrims/pcws/mix<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->.

...if it really becomes unplayable, your only option is to either join a team or join a mix irc channel. i played mid-tier comp tf2 for a while, but i mostly play that (and CSGO) to stomp noobs in pub for a quick ego boost.