NS2 Performance

LocaneLocane Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22882Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Trying to get higher FPS</div>Octo-core AMD Socket AM3 overclocked to 4.1ghz
16 gigs DDR3
Radeon HD 6800
Windows 7 64 installed on 64g Corsair SSD

I'm running the game in 1280x720 and seem to be topping out at 55 ish FPS when there's not a lot of action on the screen, and bottoming out at 15 - 19 when there's a bunch of stuff going on or I'm looking out over a distance.

Changing the settings doesn't seem to have any significant affect on this, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc.

Skulks (and marines) are hard to track at these framerates... Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve this? I feel like my system components are beefy enough, but for some reason NS2 just doesn't want to hit the framerates I need to reliably hit fast moving targets.

Comments

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    that's really bad...

are you getting expected framerate in other games?

something not right there, i'm on i5 @ ~2.5ghz and hd4890 and run 1920x1080 (AA & effects etc off), sitting at 60fps and never seem to go below 40-50fps :o
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    edited November 2012
    you sure your PC isnt overheating/throttling down? --- latest drivers etc etc

CPU isnt exactly a great gaming cpu
  • LocaneLocane Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22882Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    Turning all the settings off and the texture size down to medium yields 45-60 fps, which is much better. I'm going to experiment with 1920x1080 (my monitor's native resolution) when I get home.

[edit]
    No, the CPU is not overheating. It's water cooled.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    It's watercooled doesnt mean its not overheating, post up a thermal log from launch - slow down or something...

you're not running multiple displays or crossfire (or 3d)?

the indication that you've added AA/Aniso and nothing changed indicates the CPU is most likley the bottleneck :)
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2012009:date=Nov 6 2012, 03:46 AM:name=Scubbo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scubbo @ Nov 6 2012, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the indication that you've added AA/Aniso and nothing changed indicates the CPU is most likley the bottleneck :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    FXAA and anisotropic filtering takes next to no toll from modern GPUs anyways. Higher resolutions, shadows and ambient occlusion are the performance killers (which degrade FPS even when you are CPU bottlenecked).
  • hiloboyshiloboys Join Date: 2008-05-27 Member: 64340Members
    Whats your monitors refresh rate at?

Oh and why oh why with that crazy beefy system do you run it in that resolution?

Also with ATi cards, make sure that if you havent already configured switchable graphics. That you right click on desktop. Configure switchable graphics, then make sure that NS2.exe or whatever the name that appears having to do with NS2 is set to "High Performance" for some reason on my computer with an ATi card, it is auto set to power saving. Have no clue why since my computer power mode is set to high performance.

Weird how ATi only did this to my NS2 and not other games like TF2 and GW2.

Oh well. hope that helps