late game aliens boring

unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Has anyone else noticed the most effective way to win pubs is onos, onos, onos, onos, onos, the more onos the better. Even the competitive scene just rushes onos eggs because NOTHING, even more evolutions is more effective.

One guy able to use umbra PERFECTLY is probably just barely better than another onos. There is absolutely no reason to go skulk or fade when you can go onos.

On marine a line of exos gets murdered by all kinds of stuff, lerks hiding, onos totally destroys them, gorge can kill them etc. SO, the marines don't all go exo, they get some JP GLs, some JP shotties, and everybody gets a welder, they do a nice team push. It's more effective than herr derr line of exos

Now, you might say: "BUT ONOS SUCK ALONE U NEED SUPPORT!". No, you don't, the effective dps and speed of an onos, and the fact that you can hit jetpackers with like, no problem whatsoever makes them 100% the best unit to use in 90% of the situations if you have enough resources. This is BORING. Fades are garbage compared to onos and they're almost as expensive, wha the hell man.

a3 w3 JP shotty marine > fade, you can kill the fade faster than he can kill you, I don't understand why this is okay... lol

TLDR: Aliens are _WAY_ too linear, and people who haven't played as much as me might not notice it yet, but you will soon ><

Simple solutions to this: increase effectiveness of xeno, let aliens get res while dead, increase fade hp/armor by an effective value of 100+, increase lerk effective hp/armor, reduce lerk size, reduce skulk size, add FOCUS?, let hydras scale somehow, let EVOLUTIONS scale per hive, i dunno, something.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Fade is not a tank, he is a surgical strike unit or assasin. You wear marines down. Move in slap them once or twice and move out, to heal and energize yourself. Their armor will close to gone or completely gone, which means the next attack cycle is going to kill them. He could do with a bit more armor IMHO and the aliens do need more versatility and synergy between the classes then currently...
  • ReleaseRelease Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165242Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011866:date=Nov 5 2012, 04:29 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 5 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade is not a tank, he is a surgical strike unit or assasin. You wear marines down. Move in slap them once or twice and move out, to heal and energize yourself. Their armor will close to gone or completely gone, which means the next attack cycle is going to kill them. He could do with a bit more armor IMHO and the aliens do need more versatility and synergy between the classes then currently...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Until the marines go back to the armory..
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    fade doesn't really do anything better than the onos, difference between fade hit and run and onos hit and run is onos kills like 4 people, fade either dies, kills none, or 1-2 lol
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2011901:date=Nov 5 2012, 05:06 PM:name=Release)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Release @ Nov 5 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Until the marines go back to the armory..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, three/five alien classes that rely on hit and run are hard-countered by the Armory.
    It doesn't help that Shotguns are ridiculous as well.
  • JigglesJiggles Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011866:date=Nov 5 2012, 07:29 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 5 2012, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade is not a tank, he is a surgical strike unit or assasin. You <b>wear marines down</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I'm picturing a Ninja who sneaks up to his target, gives his target a bad noogie, and disappears in a cloud of smoke.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    They're probably boring because the alien lategame is a bit incomplete. There are many ideas and features that were thought about that didn't make it into 1.0

So hopefully they'll be adding some of that stuff in some big content updates. [Babblers, Bone Shield, Gorge Web, Encrust, infestation tubes, and hopefully Fade Acid Rocket.]
  • RegnRegn Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165335Members
    I can't play Onos. I can only play Lerk. I use Onos and Fade as meatshield to strike more bites before I swoop out and fire spikes. I can effectively get off 2 bites and spore a bit before I have to rush out and find a place to heal, perhaps a bit more if I have Umbra, unless they have Grenade Launches, then I have to stay out and not even go near the place, which makes gameplay boring. Grenade launchers make me so fed up that I have to leave the match and find a new server. I know its egotistic of me but if I don't leave those Grenade Launchers will make me rage until the match is over because their effective range is all over the place where I need to be at or escape so I die repeatedly and lose all my resources until the marines win even if we had the upper-hand by a lot. So there you have it, to win quicker as marine just max out armor and squeeze out as many grenade launchers as possible then go destroy everything with a couple of grenades spammed in every single direction across the entire map making it impossible for aliens to walk anywhere without being killed. I don't care that as aliens I have lost 9/10 matches but when they force my gaming experience into a corner like those Grenade Launchers do I lose my interest to play the game.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2011866:date=Nov 5 2012, 08:29 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 5 2012, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade is not a tank, he is a surgical strike unit or assasin. You wear marines down. Move in slap them once or twice and move out, to heal and energize yourself. Their armor will close to gone or completely gone, which means the next attack cycle is going to kill them. He could do with a bit more armor IMHO and the aliens do need more versatility and synergy between the classes then currently...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except we spend more time regenerating health than we do attacking on NS2 than we did NS1 (which is why NS1 Metabolize even existed).

It's a pain in the ass.
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2012010:date=Nov 5 2012, 06:48 PM:name=Jiggles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiggles @ Nov 5 2012, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm picturing a Ninja who sneaks up to his target, gives his target a bad noogie, and disappears in a cloud of smoke.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and that's when there's only one marine and he doesn't have a shotgun, otherwise lategame you can't even give them a bad noogie, you literally die within less then a second after appearing, fade late game are absolutly useless against relatively good marines with a cheap shotgun that can be picked up after their death anyway. In NS1 to counter that lategame weakness there was 2 things :

1. The main attack damage upgrade which made it slower but deal more dmg so that the hit'n'run tactic woudl actually be efficient
    2. (and most important imo) the possibility to shoot some acid bombs in a straight line, allowing fade to deal some dmg from afar before engaging

Fades are still good early/mid game though but they're totally worthless lategame contrary to gorges or even skulks (which can still be useful to ninja some res point or force a beaconing)

(i don't really like vortex, the only use i found to it was to block a beacon while destroying it, preventing marines to teleport back there and kick my ass but i'm not sure it's worth the res spent to research it)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2012080:date=Nov 6 2012, 03:41 AM:name=Zomb3h)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zomb3h @ Nov 6 2012, 03:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except we spend more time regenerating health than we do attacking on NS2 than we did NS1 (which is why NS1 Metabolize even existed).

It's a pain in the ass.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A fair point :)
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    Rush in
    Quick-slash! Armor is down!
    Now retreat to heal... (While Marine heals his armor)

Awesome skills shown? Check! Positive effect? Not check...?
  • BootyPoppinBootyPoppin Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166803Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011866:date=Nov 5 2012, 06:29 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 5 2012, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade is not a tank, he is a surgical strike unit or assasin. You wear marines down. Move in slap them once or twice and move out, to heal and energize yourself. Their armor will close to gone or completely gone, which means the next attack cycle is going to kill them. He could do with a bit more armor IMHO and the aliens do need more versatility and synergy between the classes then currently...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about we give Aliens a way to scale. Homogenize it if you want. I don't really care. Give aliens armor/weapon upgrades. or give them focus.

Marines can get W2/A2 off one CC. Wat? Surely wish Aliens could get that kind of power off one hive. Nah, they get one ability. And apparently, that ability makes them scale according to some. (Probably Marine only players, who think winrate is everything)

So, I'll let you keep thinking Aliens are fine due to Onos (and only Onos, maybe Skulk rushes too) keeping an even winrate between the two sides. But it's a reliance that Alien players shouldn't want. There should be trade offs between Onos, Lerk, Fade, and Gorge. Not one strictly better than any other, and thus should not be bought as it is a waste of res when in 25 res you can get an Onos.
  • JigglesJiggles Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2012115:date=Nov 5 2012, 11:06 PM:name=Soulfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soulfighter @ Nov 5 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's when there's only one marine and he doesn't have a shotgun, otherwise lategame you can literally die within less then a second after appearing, fade late game are absolutly useless against relatively good marines with a cheap shotgun that can be picked up after their death anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Maybe this wasn't clear, but I was pretty much agreeing with you.

The poster I quoted compared Fades to assassins. Except assassins tend to go for the vitals, rather than tweaking your nose and beating a hasty getaway.
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2012153:date=Nov 5 2012, 08:31 PM:name=Jiggles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiggles @ Nov 5 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe this wasn't clear, but I was pretty much agreeing with you.

The poster I quoted compared Fades to assassins. Except assassins tend to go for the vitals, rather than tweaking your nose and beating a hasty getaway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh yeah i know i was just trying to add a bit on the thoughts of why fade are bad lategame, i edited my post to make it a bit more clear (apologies for any misunderstanding, i'm not a native english speaker)
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2012136:date=Nov 5 2012, 08:21 PM:name=BootyPoppin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BootyPoppin @ Nov 5 2012, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about we give Aliens a way to scale. Homogenize it if you want. I don't really care. Give aliens armor/weapon upgrades. or give them focus.

Marines can get W2/A2 off one CC. Wat? Surely wish Aliens could get that kind of power off one hive. Nah, they get one ability. And apparently, that ability makes them scale according to some. (Probably Marine only players, who think winrate is everything)

So, I'll let you keep thinking Aliens are fine due to Onos (and only Onos, maybe Skulk rushes too) keeping an even winrate between the two sides. But it's a reliance that Alien players shouldn't want. There should be trade offs between Onos, Lerk, Fade, and Gorge. Not one strictly better than any other, and thus should not be bought as it is a waste of res when in 25 res you can get an Onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the Onos is fine as it is now, it is the epitome of the Alien evolution tree and should be tough to deal with. But there have been several threads that somewhat touch this, and I agree that Onos should not be the only endgame strategy; right now it is the only effective one when you're dealing with fully upgraded marines. The tradeoff should be that it is expensive, and it already costs more in pres than an exosuit (last I checked anyway), and that would probably mean removing onos eggs, or making them just as expensive to spawn with tres as it would be for a player to buy one (which would mean the Aliens would be set back significantly in expansion if they went for onos eggs early on).

And with that sort of change, I would love to see alternative endgame tactics. I would love to see other aliens with endgame builds that could go toe to toe with Marines, and then the original point of the game still sticks- whoever is better at coordinating attacks, fighting, and getting/keeping those upgrades.

Of course I've no idea where to start with balancing things out, there'd be nerfs and buffs on both sides in the forms of various tweaks to get it right. But a recurring theme seems to be the significant amount of whining that causes things to revert back. If that really is influencing UWE, it needs to be lashed out against. If the numbers and reasoning work out properly with the changes, then the ones complaining should have more than baseless complaints about how they can't skillfree their way to a win anymore. And if that really isn't what happened then correct me, but as its been described it really sounds like the worst of the community actually got their way.
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    edited November 2012
    Rushing Onos out fast shouldn't be possible, but that doesn't mean the Onos itself needs a nerf. It's supposed to be tough to be viable late-game because Aliens suck ###### at scaling. If you nerf the Onos as opposed to the strategy of rushing it, then you destroy Aliens. Nerf Onos rushing and buff other Aliens or give them, hell, something new to deal with Marines without a reliance on the Onos. Changing Xenocide to deal light AOE damage on death to structures might make every lifeform, especially Skulks, sufficient at sieging Marine fortifications over-time without needing a dozen Onos and Bile Bombs.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    wait wait wait, you mean in order the win the game you need your teams best tech? MIND BLOWN!
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It's the fact that the final tech is the most boring tech which is annoying. Both the exo and onos place seriously low demands on skill.

I'd much rather see late-game tech become more glass-cannon-ey.
  • CaneCane Join Date: 2004-02-12 Member: 26444Members
    Aliens are quickly getting boring even in mid game. Early game skulks vs un-upgraded marines things are fine but as soon as the marines get shotguns + upgrade aliens become boring. At that point you cant enjoy playing anything else than a onos because you are forced to be so careful and just can't deal enough damage to the marine team.

Aliens need more abilities so we have the same numbers or more as NS1
    We need more traits and not the 2/3 we have right now
    Also global upgrades and more commander diversity would also make aliens more funt o play