Experiment

KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
<div class="IPBDescription">This is something that should have been done in beta, but...</div>So for a long time it's been claimed that five minute Onos is the crutch that's keeping Aliens in the game and if it were removed, their winrate would plummet to their 'real' levels. So I say, put that claim to the test.

Remove tres drops from both sides for a patch or two and see how the meta and statistics change, is my suggestion.

Comments

• TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011558:date=Nov 5 2012, 03:27 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Nov 5 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove tres drops from both sides for a patch or two and see how the meta and statistics change, is my suggestion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would love to see a restoration of tres/pres split, but I fear ARC and whips spam we had before from bored commanders.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011569:date=Nov 5 2012, 01:38 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 5 2012, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love to see a restoration of tres/pres split, but I fear ARC and whips spam we had before from bored commanders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They just need to give coms more to do first. More research and the like. If then, I would 100% support the res split. At the very least experiment with it.
  • guitarxeguitarxe Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166148Members
    I don't understand what's the issue with this "fast onos egg" strat.... Last three days I've been playing and we win as aliens not doing that at all. Usually we win by denying marines RTs and expansions while expanding ourselves and holding them. Then we move onto their final base with fades, a few onoses by this time (and this is way later than just 5 minutes) and gorges with bile bombs, etc.
  • TheRedRagerTheRedRager Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166227Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011656:date=Nov 5 2012, 01:51 PM:name=guitarxe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guitarxe @ Nov 5 2012, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand what's the issue with this "fast onos egg" strat.... Last three days I've been playing and we win as aliens not doing that at all. Usually we win by denying marines RTs and expansions while expanding ourselves and holding them. Then we move onto their final base with fades, a few onoses by this time (and this is way later than just 5 minutes) and gorges with bile bombs, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its the only viable strat against GOOD marines.

Keyword being GOOD.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2011656:date=Nov 5 2012, 04:51 PM:name=guitarxe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guitarxe @ Nov 5 2012, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand what's the issue with this "fast onos egg" strat.... Last three days I've been playing and we win as aliens not doing that at all. Usually we win by denying marines RTs and expansions while expanding ourselves and holding them. Then we move onto their final base with fades, a few onoses by this time (and this is way later than just 5 minutes) and gorges with bile bombs, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not to be elitist, but this is done in EVERY competitive match because it wins every time. It's fine to do other things while you're playing for fun, but when you're playing in a tournament, and there's only one way worth taking... there is a problem.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    The true time of experiment was during the beta, its harder to do now. There have been many solutions discussed on the forums again and again but many of them was dropped because it was to much like ns1.

But its true, its not good for the game that 2nd tier tech is a must early in the game for aliens and then they have to go straight for 3rd tier to stay in the game.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I dont think I've ever seen a 5 minute onos during the last couple of patches and I have definitely seen aliens win plenty of games (if less than half).
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    5 min onos drop is OP in 6v6 games when there's 5 people playing. In bigger games, it's not nearly as bad.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2011806:date=Nov 5 2012, 11:30 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Nov 5 2012, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont think I've ever seen a 5 minute onos during the last couple of patches and I have definitely seen aliens win plenty of games (if less than half).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

comming three games yesterday, i went for an early hive, chambers, then onos. I won every game by a landslide and even had different early game loses (rts, hive, chambers). Wasnt tough to do once everyone knew the plan and free oni were on the way.
  • liquiddeathliquiddeath Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167304Members
    Onos rush is becoming more and more common in pug games sadly. I don't even get why aliens can make an onos egg. Marines can only drop single gun exos. Faction diversity isn't even a good excuse in this case as dual gun exos are pretty much the ONLY counter to an onos beyond 10 marine dogpiles.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    i feel jetpack shotties counter the onos more than an EXO does

not that you can get jetpack/shotties at 5 min mark though lol