Right click aim for marines

DjjohnDjjohn Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166797Members
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hey id like to suggest a simple feature that I really think adds a lot to the marine gameplay . I've played this game alot since it came out and i'm really liking it so far, but what i'm missing when i'm playing marine is the abillity to aim my weapon. It just seems awkward having this stationary gun at the center of my screen all the time. I've noticed that the standard assault riffle doesnt have a crosshair, so it might be a bit pointless to make an aim animation for that weapon, nevertheless i'd still like to see it happen. However the pistol does have a crosshair and no secondary ability so perhaps we could get an aim animation here. Anyways i hope you get what i am asking for, these days most shooters have this kind of feature and i hope it'll catch on here :)

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    I think what you mean is having ironsights or aim down sight in this game? The thing is the weapons are already pinpoint accurate with a extremely tiny spread. Also this doesn't fit in the NS(2) gameplay as slow moving aim will get you killed. And this has been brought up many times before as well.

Your rifle should have a crosshair on screen though, unless you mean on the weapon model it self (front sight+rear sight)... Also since this is a shooter that is staying true to the oldschool shooter, ironsights will probably never make it in :)

As a side note, the pistol did have a secondary firing mode using a laser sight, which slowed down the rate of fire and made bullets hit harder (nanite bullets an do that :P)
  • DjjohnDjjohn Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166797Members
    Ah yeah ironsights are what i meant. :)

Thanks for the reply, i'll just have to get used to not having ironsights i guess then ^^ It's a shame since i think somethings missing with the marine combat, might just be the amount of weapons available that isn't too exciting atm, but it could also be me just playing this game too much ;P

Was that secondary firing mode a feature from NS1 or did they scratch it from the beta? :o
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    It was tried in the NS2 beta, but found to be less useful than the primary fire mode. The idea was to snipe buildings and skulks on range, but in some cases it was too powerful.

Also the amount of weapons in NS2 might not be as "exiting" as other games with a lot of weapons. However I find that having less weapons that are more specialized and have great synergy between them, makes for much more interesting gameplay than a game that simply adds loads upon loads of weapons to try and give you the impression of looking diverse. Most of the time more weapons are a nightmare to balance :)
  • DjjohnDjjohn Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166797Members
    Ah alright :)

Yeah i get what are you're saying, I think i've just played too much marines lately, might need to get a hang of the aliens :) thanks for your replies ^^
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i actually wouldn't mind an FOV style zoom - which makes the FOV go to about 20-30 in size.

I like the idea marines concentrating on shooting a baiting alien far away as that would open up an ambush opportunity for another alien to from the side or just out of their field of view. (like that bit in jurrasic park 1 with the raptors "clever girl" :P )

no accuracy changes or anything, just zoom.

you spend so much time with the rifle, a bit of varienty wouldn't hurt - even if it is an upgrade option on the arms lab.
  • wh173wh173 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166609Members
    i would like a zoom with ironsights.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I dont think ns2 needs ironsights because guns have no increasing spread.