could a modder make this game more widescale?sandbox mmo style?

ArkimeArkime Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166892Members
My brother and i were chatting about the game and how even after a round is over and aliens marines have one you still wana keep progressing. Well if any modders could take on the challenge or if itd would be possible this game in an mmo style wnviroment or sandbox where marines and aliens could compete on a larger scale with more players would be really neat and maybe bring a whole new element to the game if it could be done. Just a dream but hey its worth a shot asking thanx guys!

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Anything is possible if you write enough code and make enough assets. NS2 itself is proof of that.
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    edited November 2012
    Won't happen. Creating an MMO is extremely difficult, not something a few modders could do. Plus, NS2 is great the way it is, not everything needs to be an MMO.

Sounds like the game you are looking for is <a href="http://www.planetside2.com/" target="_blank">Planetside 2</a>. I recommend checking that out.
  • ArkimeArkime Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166892Members
    We play a lot of games including planetside 2 . Maybe not an mmo but if someone was to mod the game into a more sandbox styled gameplay where marines could build and fight and aliens could do the same the matchs would be amazing lol not saying change the game by any means just a mod or dream i was curious if it could be done lol thank you guys for ur feedback!
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Arkime:</b></u>

First you start in the Ocean because the aliens are actually a form of bacterium

Sound a lot like spore. . .
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think the Spark engine is not really up for that just yet. It already has problems with ~24+ players on powerful servers
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah, i dont think the engine is coded to allow for that kind of thing.
  • hartrafthartraft Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72468Members
    edited November 2012
    I think it would be great to see a mod where all the different maps were locations on a giant "World Map"

A victory in one location would mean that section would be under the control of whomever won.

Later if the battle came back to a location under one sides control, they could start with a slight bonus (resources, an extra building or two, etc)

I guess a bit like DOW soulstorm if anyone has played that.
  • ArkimeArkime Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166892Members
    Couldnt agree more sounds great
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    It would probably take more effort to turn Spark into a MMO engine than to code one from scratch.
  • Lim3sLim3s Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160712Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010324:date=Nov 5 2012, 09:30 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 5 2012, 09:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the Spark engine is not really up for that just yet. It already has problems with ~24+ players on powerful servers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1, especially with the current requirements to get a server running at a decent perf% with the current amount of players, having a server run upwards of hundreds of players at once on a much larger map seems a bit near impossible on the current engine.

<i>However</i>, if anyone remembers the MMORPG-esque maps in Warcraft 3 TFT which had savable characters (I forget the name of any of them, but you could load your old characters through a long string entered in chat) and were played in relatively short time-frames (games would run for about an hour before closing), something like that could be possible in NS2. Gameplay wise would need to be sorted out, but if it's possible on the age old WC3 engine, I'd hope it's possible on the Spark engine.