Mic Troubles

R4NR4N Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166627Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Not so usual situation.</div>Little back info, I'm using a Xbox 360 Kinect as my PC's microphone array, as a generic usb mic array. Works for everything besides NS2, it is selected as default communication device in Windows.

I know it's an odd set up, but I am doing some Kinect for Windows development for fun and turns out it works as a great mic and webcam and I'd love to get this puppy working with NS2 as it's been my main mic for ages. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• CJoker3221CJoker3221 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165521Members
    Go to your appdata folder and delete NS2 folder, it worked for me
    Though my mic isn't the same as yours, but give it a try
  • R4NR4N Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166627Members
    I had deleted my NS2 folder in appdata after reading a topic here. Didn't help I'm afraid.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thats interesting..
    Try using "Set as default device" instead of "Set as default communication device"
    It's set on both most of the time, any combination of the two doesn't work either in NS2.
    Don't know if this will be of any help but here's something from my log.

Build 228
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (9.18.13.697)
    Error: Couldn't start recording (Unsupported file or audio format. )
    Sound Device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) stereo
    Record Device: Microphone Array (Kinect USB Audio)
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 228
    Connected to Steam servers

Would that error on line 4 have anything to do with it? Some more info, an old headset I had lying around's mic does work in game, but the headphones themselves are practically dead so they really aren't of much use besides wearing it as a beard to use the mic. Ideally I'd love to keep using the Kinect, but I suppose I can fork out a few bucks for a clip on mic if nothing can be done.
  • jakhollinjakhollin Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167817Members
    I have the same problem and here is what we have in common.

Sound Device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) stereo
  • ParadoxFoxParadoxFox Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167610Members
    edited November 2012
    I have the same problem, I use syberia steelseries headset. It works in everything I ever tried but not in this game for some reason.

I have seen at least 3 other players with a similar problem that have posted about it so it cannot be that rare. Would be nice if soemone had some ideas about the matter cause I feel not having a mic is really detrimental when playing this game. Specially if you like me are aiming to go "serious" in the game :/

Has anyone with this problem tried to switch to another mic? You see I am seriously considering buying another mic just so I can talk in this game, but it would be nice to know that it actually make a differences before. <- ak is the problem connected to the mic and not some other windows setting/driver what not thingy.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Try to disable Realtek recording device in the Windows Sound Control.
  • NonlinNonlin Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176437Members
    I'm having the same issue.

Here is the thread I started. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126537" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=126537</a>
    and another community support. <a href="https://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/mic_wont_work_in_game-1g165i" target="_blank">https://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t..._in_game-1g165i</a>

Basicaly certain USB mics have their settings stuck at values lower than what NS2 accpets. Until devs allow the game to accept all formats of sound settings for the mic not every mic will be compatible with NS2. I've been trying to figure out ways to trick or edit registry to change the bit depth and sample rate but alas have shed no results. :(