So much fun but no incentive.

RocknRollaRocknRolla Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166512Members
Just wanted to say first off that this game got me hooked right away. I'm starting to learn how to command and it's the most fun I've had in a game in a while. Anyways, I was wondering if there is any plans for any kind of post game features, like exp, cosmetic items, battle points. The game is so much fun but it seems like there should be some sort of bonus when you win or some sort of incentive.

Comments

• sixteensixteen Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166515Members
    Please, just no fkin cosmetic items... Its all crap, like in TF2.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    What is it with gamers and reward incentives? NS2 is aimed towards a hardcore audience with strategy and teamwork.

Instead many gamers these days want:
    Cosmetic items
    Leveling system
    Gun customization
    Skill points to spend on different areas
    Costumes, Characters
    Facebook integration

THEN AGAIN this game could benefit from these things by turning it into farmville. I'm betting they could hire the extra hands and make it so. Budget should really not be an excuse anymore!
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    if u want the hats i am pretty sure that valve will give u one soon and u can take it to your tower of hats in tf2. cheers. grats
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Wait, fun isn't enough incentive anymore?
  • RocknRollaRocknRolla Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166512Members
    edited November 2012
    Wow, sorry for asking. Was just thinking why not? Look at every other game. To be honest this game is sooooo much fun but just today after playing my 5th game in a row it gets a little boring, it seems like it would be fun to see a little something extra at the end of a game. Kind of keeps you motivated to keep going.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2008558:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:26 AM:name=sixteen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sixteen @ Nov 4 2012, 12:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please, just no fkin cosmetic items... <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->Its all crap<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, like in TF2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TF2 doesn't take itself seriously in the first place.
    Killing floor handled Cosmetic DLC marvelously.... until they released the lore-breaking chicken commando thing... Oh, and I hate TWI now with the paid weapon pack DLC.

But if UWE could do something similar, keep churning out Cosmetic <b>only</b> DLC like a ~5-15$ DLC with 5 marine skins/slight model tweak (female, different colours/armor) or 5 alien skins/slight model tweaks (1 for each lifeform.)
    like some sort of 5 pack.

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->I would buy every single one in a heartbeat<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, I get cool non lore/artstyle/atmosphere breaking skins, and get to support UWE again!

As long as it feels real and immersive, UWE better not go crazy, this game should always look professional, <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->except for the gorge, he's the mascot.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Fun = motivation. Natural Selection lasted many years before it started to slow down. There were no extra tid bits of whatever you want to call it. As you (should) can tell, Natural Selection isn't the type of game that would have a leveling system, a "You've played so many matches, have an OP gun".

Think of Counter Strike, its lasted 13+ years without all the extra stuff and the 46,785 people that are playing it right now don't seem to mind it.

Skins however, are another thing. If they were a personal view skin, I could see that selling well without changing the game play.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008549:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:52 PM:name=RocknRolla)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RocknRolla @ Nov 3 2012, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just wanted to say first off that this game got me hooked right away. I'm starting to learn how to command and it's the most fun I've had in a game in a while. Anyways, I was wondering if there is any plans for any kind of post game features, like exp, cosmetic items, battle points. The game is so much fun but it seems like there should be some sort of bonus when you win or some sort of incentive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please leave.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    OP, cosmetic items will be coming, but for 1.0 that stuff was way down in the priority list.

there is an icon system on the start screen that is currently disabled that might be tied to experience, 'achievements' in the future.

the game may have a small set of steam achievements at some point.

I dont think you're asking for this but there wont' be anything that builds your character other than practice and skill.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2008598:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:53 AM:name=extollo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (extollo @ Nov 4 2012, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OP, cosmetic items will be coming, but for 1.0 that stuff was way down in the priority list.

there is an icon system on the start screen that is currently disabled that might be tied to experience, 'achievements' in the future.

the game may have a small set of steam achievements at some point.

I dont think you're asking for this but there wont' be anything that builds your character other than practice and skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

commander can research upgrades. but you are partly right.

:P
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Skinner box is a ###### isn't it.
  • duke_Qaduke_Qa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62405Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really, really miss a scoreboard at the end. Bf3/mw whatever did that bit right at least. It adds that psychological "ooh yeah" that releases a few more endorphins into your brain.

At the very least, keep the scoreboard summary until the next round begins.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    As long as they dont do silly stuff and keep it somewhat consistent with the universe/art style, i'm fine with it. (staying within a tight color palette, etc.)

At first i guess they would do full models, and maybe if they make enough money, have some time, and enough requests from the community... they could make stuff a bit more customizable. (male, female, skin tones, helmet, armor, bone armor of aliens - so you keep the basic form - stuff like that...)
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Dont' be so agressive guys...

I think lots of us come from a different gaming generation, where playing good matches and gaining skill was the only goal. Times changed. Some stuff in today's games really suck, but level systems are not the worst one could think of.

What do you expect young gamers to ask for? Just calm down.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008619:date=Nov 3 2012, 09:37 PM:name=duke_Qa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (duke_Qa @ Nov 3 2012, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really, really miss a scoreboard at the end. Bf3/mw whatever did that bit right at least. It adds that psychological "ooh yeah" that releases a few more endorphins into your brain.

At the very least, keep the scoreboard summary until the next round begins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i hated that in BF/MW, because iirc you couldn't chat to people at the end of round... you just got stuck on the loading/score screen like it was slapped in your face.

the players who give a damn will take note of your score during the game, the better players will look past the KDR and judge whether you're actually a good player or just a greedy/cheesy frag farmer.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2008596:date=Nov 3 2012, 05:21 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 3 2012, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please leave.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not very nice.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    LOL don't mind the guys in here OP, they are dedicated fans (just like us all) who don't want to see a very good niche game ruined by the mainstream. But cosmetics that are not too WOHAAA would probably be fine with everyone.

The playability will hopefully come with the modding scene though, I hope to see some great stuff.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd love a score based experience system that unlocks more cosmetic customization when you level up.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    Yeah, not really a reason to be rude to this guy because he suggested an idea that you don't like. Anyway, there is stuff in the works, I'm sure. There were a few features (like badges that kinda showed how good you were, I'm assuming,) that were in the menus that were never fully implemented before 1.0. The stuff was removed from menus. I do agree that having some sort of "Hey, look how awesome you are," at the end of a game would be cool.

I'd like to have statistics as a commander, as well. I understand why most people wouldn't want this (i.e. having a W/L ratio on your commander just feeds ###### baggery, especially with the vote-commander-out thing.) Something like a thing that says "Radiocage just commanded his 25th victory!" would avoid that, and make comms feel pretty good about working their ass off to win a match. I'd like to have a page that lets me view my personal stats, though. I would like to know my W/L ratio as a commander, # of times commanded, # of structures dropped, etc. You know, just so I can occasionally look at them and go "I need to get a life." I wouldn't want that stuff publicly viewable though.
  • ShindeShinde Join Date: 2007-01-01 Member: 59369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008558:date=Nov 3 2012, 09:56 PM:name=sixteen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sixteen @ Nov 3 2012, 09:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please, just no fkin cosmetic items... Its all crap, like in TF2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cosmetic items can be added to a game without making it crap. The developers need some sort of incentive to keep developing for the game they created. If they have no cash flow, development dies and they create a new game or die off completely. DOTA 2 is a perfect example of cosmetic items done right. No incentive for owning the items other than bragging rights. TF2's cosmetic system should stay away from NS2 as item sets and hats would detract from the game. Skins, medals or alternative alien styles are a great way for hardcore fans to stand out from other players and fund the developers as well.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    edited November 2012
    I would hate to see some sort of meta game type put in. I've been playing plenty of NS2 just because it was fun (well some of those beta builds weren't but I played anyway). I think part of the lure of NS2 is that it ISN'T those other games. The game is difficult enough to win, I don't want to hear people complaining for certain types of victories or talking about how they're prestige level 1 million. I don't care. Just playing to win isn't good enough for people anymore?

edit: also I would hate to see people joining games just to go afk to hope to cheese their way to some sort of exp/win cap or something. it's a giant pain in the ass
  • duke_Qaduke_Qa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62405Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2008627:date=Nov 3 2012, 11:44 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 3 2012, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i hated that in BF/MW, because iirc you couldn't chat to people at the end of round... you just got stuck on the loading/score screen like it was slapped in your face.

the players who give a damn will take note of your score during the game, the better players will look past the KDR and judge whether you're actually a good player or just a greedy/cheesy frag farmer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that could be somewhat annoying, but it's anti-climatic to get bumped back into the lobby and have all the stats reset and the only proof of your doings being the creature you were as you won the game.

I'd say combine the lobby with a summary menu that shows you the different stats gathered that round, making it possible to hide or show and run around as you normally do in lobby.
    <!--quoteo(post=2008698:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:08 AM:name=duke_Qa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (duke_Qa @ Nov 4 2012, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that could be somewhat annoying, but it's anti-climatic to get bumped back into the lobby and have all the stats reset and the only proof of your doings being the creature you were as you won the game.

I'd say combine the lobby with a summary menu that shows you the different stats gathered that round, making it possible to hide or show and run around as you normally do in lobby.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It should show a huge graph in the Ready Room, kinda like in Portal 2's level selection area; where you can see each player's statistics physically in the map!
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I thought about it but thought it might have been a bit massive if you were to show off fine detailed stats for every player there. would make the lobby more fun though.

Also, storing stats on players and the likes would make it easier to split servers up in a Starcraft-styled leagues way.

I'm probably not anything more than a silver league player NS2 wise, but I think a server admin and players in general would love to know the skill level of fellow players/server. Its not fun being a casual player once the big guns start showing up imo.