Questionable usefulness of Hydras.

Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
<div class="IPBDescription">They just don't scare people anymore.</div>I remember a time (back in the beta) when Hydras were an actual threat, if there was one dropped down somewhere, it would actually do enough damage to kill marines that were not careful, and if you had 3, then it took a grenade or two to wipe them out (with the gorge healing them), or being at enough range that they couldn't hit you.

For the last month or so, they've been demoted to tiny threats, unable to score anything.

Playing as marines, I don't fear them. I either run past them, kill the gorge and then wipe them out, or just blast a clip and a half of assault rifle into them and they're gone. Even in full view of the hydra, they don't do enough to ward me off. As a gorge, I feel that they are just a waste of my pres, due to the reasons above. A clump of three can and will be wiped out in the blink of an eye.

The marines turrets recently got a big buff, and they actually ward off/kill aliens, if they are placed correctly. Until bile bomb is researched, or an onos is made, there is no safe way of taking them out. I don't know how to buff them, but I just feel that they need a little tweaking again to get balance.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    Hydras are in a good state.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think there could be some tweaking because I find them 100% useless as gorge now. Even if I place them really well they are terrible unless supported.
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    I also question the purpose of the current version of the hydra. Without them, the early-game gorge is nothing but a hive-healer/camper. Necessary to heal the hive but really boring. Even if I heal the hydras, a single marine can still take all three out.

If you're not going to let hydras be the turrets OCs were in NS1, maybe you could give it another purpose, like turn them into mini-crags, veils or shifts depending on what hives are built.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They're mostly just a minor inconvenience for marines, which I think is by design.
    3 res for a minor inconvenience is not a good deal at all. I can build 10 clogs for free, and they're minor inconveniences too.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the problem with hydras is that in small games you can never get that critical mass you need for them to be a real threat.

In big games however (i'm thinking 32 players and more) where you have 4-5+ gorges on one team, setting up big clusters of hydras can give you impressive denying power especially in a closed room hive like Locker room. So Hydras scale with # of gorges, while sentries don't, since their flat limit is unchanged.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    i have to agree here, for 3pres they are too weak, i think the healthandarmor is ok, but the damage is realy not enough to warrant the price, in the current state they would be ok if free.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    Welcome to public games. Every alien can quickly go gorge and plant 3 hydras and go back to what they were doing. 12vs12, that would be 36 hydras, but in a public game that never happens. I been in so many public games and only a hand full actually plant hydras. If we get every alien to do this what a different it will make. But, I don't see this trend changing in a pug group maybe in a competitive game, but not a pug game.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008157:date=Nov 3 2012, 02:49 PM:name=Daphisto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daphisto @ Nov 3 2012, 02:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're mostly just a minor inconvenience for marines, which I think is by design.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this.

say you drop 3 hydra, that's 19 res cost (inc gorge cost).

is a shotgun marine (20 res) a threat to a gorge + 3 hydra? hardly. the hydra can't be ignored while you're standing at the back throwing bile/spit.

just imagine they're mines. i'd say hydra are perhaps even more useful than mines.

sentry turrets aren't exactly area denial, any alien can just run behind them and kill in a few seconds. like mines and hydra, they aren't self sufficient, but merely serve a similar role of just buying time for a player/unit response.
    If large numbers is the reason hydras are weak, UWE can make it so that hydras must be built a certain distance away from each other to force them to spread out so that you can't have 36 hydras in the same doorway.

If hydras are meant to be temporary weapons for the gorge to hide behind while he spits, then let us get a full refund when we destroy them and give us a shortcut key to instantly destroy all 3 hydras.
  • Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008172:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:34 AM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 4 2012, 01:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this.

say you drop 3 hydra, that's 19 res cost (inc gorge cost).

is a shotgun marine (20 res) a threat to a gorge + 3 hydra? hardly. the hydra can't be ignored while you're standing at the back throwing bile/spit.

just imagine they're mines. i'd say hydra are perhaps even more useful than mines.

sentry turrets aren't exactly area denial, any alien can just run behind them and kill in a few seconds. like mines and hydra, they aren't self sufficient, but merely serve a similar role of just buying time for a player/unit response.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aliens can only run behind sentries if the com placed them badly. If the gorge is attacking the marine, then the hydras will die from not being healed. Also, a shotgun marine is not going to go against hydras, it's the marines with the AR that will kill them, for no pres cost at all. They don't even need to kill all three, just one to make the gorge lose pres

A mine is an almostguaranteed kill, while a hydra at best is a 5 second distraction.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    well even if you had 36 hydras in a doorway, they would only be there for 2-3minutes, because thats the time for gl to get researched and then its byby 100pres worth of hydras... i dont see that strategy catching on...
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008198:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:28 PM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ Nov 3 2012, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well even if you had 36 hydras in a doorway, they would only be there for 2-3minutes, because thats the time for gl to get researched and then its byby 100pres worth of hydras... i dont see that strategy catching on...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hydras work to defend an early hive drop, as the game goes on they get more and more useless.
    They cost 3 res... what do you expect?
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    Aliens becoming more and more useless as the game goes on seems to be a "feature" of NS2.

Good thing they made sure LMGs and shotguns also became equally useless. Oh wait.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008203:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:32 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 3 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens becoming more and more useless as the game goes on seems to be a "feature" of NS2.

Good thing they made sure LMGs and shotguns also became equally useless. Oh wait.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? Pretty sure gorge goes from being a 10 res hive healer that drops 3 res hydras to being able to level entire marine bases and cause an exo train to run away...
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008207:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:35 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 3 2012, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? Pretty sure gorge goes from being a 10 res hive healer that drops 3 res hydras to being able to level entire marine bases and cause an exo train to run away...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Single grenade launcher > Gorge.

It takes 14 Bilebombs for a Gorge to destroy the power node alone. Without adrenaline this takes him about a minute and a half.

Yeah he's just PULVERIZING the place. Meanwhile the Marines are doing what exactly? Let's also consider the fact that this forces a player into an extremely specialized role, and they don't even get a pres refund for devolving to a lower lifeform.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008194:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:26 PM:name=Haplo_64)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haplo_64 @ Nov 3 2012, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens can only run behind sentries if the com placed them badly. If the gorge is attacking the marine, then the hydras will die from not being healed. Also, a shotgun marine is not going to go against hydras, it's the marines with the AR that will kill them, for no pres cost at all. They don't even need to kill all three, just one to make the gorge lose pres

A mine is an almostguaranteed kill, while a hydra at best is a 5 second distraction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

mine is a guaranteed kill??? wtf, open your eyes... aren't they even highlighted in alien-vision? plus afaik it's only a 1-hit-kill on skulk, anything else can just eat the mine then go back to heal up eating the resources.

if the gorge is attacking the marine, the marine dies in about 6-7 hits (with full upgrades). not to mention flinging a bile bomb will stop him abusing the corner etc to take potshots at your hydra.

but then again... i place defensive hydra hidden behind doorways, so they can only be attacked when a marine ENTERS the room (as opposed to offensive hydra where i'm supporting an onos etc i'll usually try to place them on the floor in the middle of a room just to soak up some bullets).

it's very tricky for the marine to come through the door if he has to simultaneously deal with 3 hydra + you. not to mention he's super vulnerable to a skulk flank.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008211:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:36 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 3 2012, 03:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Single grenade launcher > Gorge.

It takes 14 Bilebombs for a Gorge to destroy the power node alone. Without adrenaline this takes him about a minute and a half.

Yeah he's just PULVERIZING the place. Meanwhile the Marines are doing what exactly? Let's also consider the fact that this forces a player into an extremely specialized role, and they don't even get a pres refund for devolving to a lower lifeform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you're blinded by bias, my friend.

whip > grenade launcher

granted you don't get a refund for devolving, but why are you devolving... can't you assign someone else to the gorge role? seriously, again i have to use a bad analogy help you comprehend. what you're saying is like an exosuit 'devolving' into a welder because your team needed more welders.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah they need to change adrenaline to regenerate a little faster, as of now it's not an upgrade, time spend using abilities is directly proportionate to time recovering, unless you have a shift. but I hate having evolution's effectiveness being so dependent on structures.

gorge bile-bomb used to be a good base siege strategy, but now it takes too long lategame, onos is basically alien's only trump card now.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They need to be tougher or have their damage increased. Or they could remove the entirely pointless hardcap of 3, or at least raise it to 5. The gorge is dull enough to play as it is.
  • Highlander92Highlander92 Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162257Members
    I agree that Hydras are fine the way they are now. They are pretty powerful before marines have upgrades, and can kill a marine if he isnt careful and by himself. In combination with whips they can be a pretty damn good defense. Though i agree that they fall off late game and may as well not exist at that point. Maybe if there was a way to make hydras scale, or perhaps even a tech upgrade to beef them up a bit.
  • Highlander92Highlander92 Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162257Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008226:date=Nov 3 2012, 08:49 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Nov 3 2012, 08:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They need to be tougher or have their damage increased. Or they could remove the entirely pointless hardcap of 3, or at least raise it to 5. The gorge is dull enough to play as it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think if you did any of those things in the current state of the game they would be too powerful, in either scenario. Most people agree the gorge needs more buildings and i also agree with this. I think if there was an upgrade for hydras then that would be a good solution. Any other change would make gorge rush too strong.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008224:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:48 PM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Nov 3 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah they need to change adrenaline to regenerate a little faster, as of now it's not an upgrade, time spend using abilities is directly proportionate to time recovering, unless you have a shift. but I hate having evolution's effectiveness being so dependent on structures.

gorge bile-bomb used to be a good base siege strategy, but now it takes too long lategame, onos is basically alien's only trump card now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

onos and lerk.

umbra and spores are super effective.

during siege moments, i can fly through dropping spores and after a few passes you start raking in the easy gas frags with very little effort. noone can chase you, because they die in 5 seconds unless they get out of the spores. i believe the only counter to this is flamethrower, and forcing marines to buy flamethrowers during a siege is handy.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008203:date=Nov 3 2012, 05:32 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 3 2012, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens becoming more and more useless as the game goes on seems to be a "feature" of NS2.

Good thing they made sure LMGs and shotguns also became equally useless. Oh wait.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ever thought that maybe its just because you are bad at the game? Are you complaining that aliens are underpowered? Even after the stats show a 51% win rate after 16000 games? Or are you going to refute that evidence?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I have to agree, playing as a gorge or marine, hydras don't seem to have any impact, even in the early game. At least not enough to warrant the 9 res cost for placing all three. A lone marine can just turn a corner, shoot one down with ease, reload, repeat. If you're alone and the comm won't drop you medpack, you might have to return to an armory. Or you can just sprint past and leave them for dead.

Basically, they act as small deterrents, enough to keep marines off for just a little while, like clogs, but more expensive. Too expensive imo.

But maybe I'm just bitter because I've yet to get a single hydra kill. ^^
  • Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
    edited November 2012
    How to fix the hydra:

Have them emit the same kind of spores that lerks emit when they get umbra in the same AOE that the current hydra has range.

Now they are useful all game

Are worth the 3 resources that they cost

Damage doesn't stack during a rush.

aren't overpowered.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008237:date=Nov 3 2012, 04:06 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Nov 3 2012, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008237"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ever thought that maybe its just because you are bad at the game? Are you complaining that aliens are underpowered? Even after the stats show a 51% win rate after 16000 games? Or are you going to refute that evidence?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unless they give us the full stats showing what time those victories were achieved, it's meaningless. Also, the numbers change every time one of you useless fanboys bandy that around.

As has been stated in the past by others, win percentage doesn't matter if nobody on the Alien team had fun during it. All the Alien victories I've seen were only achieved with half the team or more going Onos, and only before the Marines managed to finish their final techs. Every single one. I've not seen one victory that happened pre-Onos, and I've only seen a tiny handful of victories post-dual Exos / shotguns / A3/W3 / jetpacks.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    I can understand balance being a big issue here, and I'm sure hydras being powerful before was an issue. Still, with Gorge, especially as a new player, I just can't see the incentive to make them.

The obvious comparison, I think is the Engineer in Team Fortress 2, which I'd like to think about for a second. When TF2 first came out, sentries were "undeniably extremely overpowered." (They have hardly changed at all since, for the record) What players didn't quite get was that being a completely immobile, "dumb" enemy, their extreme attack power was the one thing they had going for them. They can quickly take down even the very fast players, and deal more damage than a Heavy, even seeming to have no damage falloff. PLUS, they push you farther away with every shot. Overpowered?

Not when there are YouTube videos of Scouts taking them down with a pistol because an Engineer placed one next to a corner.

The sentries were sort of a highlight of the fact that the value is not in raw attack power, but intelligence. Enemy players are afforded many tricks available to them to beat sentries, and if they use them effectively, enemy teams of 6+ engineers will remark to your delight "OMG HOW WE LOSE? I MAEK SENTRY AND EVERYTHING!"

So my concern is <b>not</b> that things like Hydras are "unbalanced". I think you get what you pay for, and the Gorge's overall abilities are certainly not useless. My concern is mostly that they're un-fun; they're not so engaging for new players, who won't really see their effects even on their enemy rookies (until they learn better placement and teamwork). I'd actually be much more interested in a dynamic in which Hydras at first seem overpowered (perhaps having huge damage) until marines figure out that they attack slowly and predictably ("Dude those things are easy to dodge!...if you recognize where they are") at which Gorges get frustrated and develop new strategies of putting them in long-range corridors, or putting them on ceilings.

When it comes to balance, I'm usually much more interested in how the mechanics and dynamics can change, rather than just adjusting the damage numbers little by little.
  • Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
    I think one of the problems is that you can't ever leave your hydras if you want them to survive, and since you spent 9 pres on them, you do want to see them survive. As a marine, I don't think "oh, hydras! Better stay clear of there!" I think " Oh! Hydras! Let's waste someone's pres!" And a few seconds later it's down. Even ' ambush' hydras only deter me for a second. Simply step out, get an angle they can't shoot at and they're dead before I know it.

I love the gorge, I just hate wasting pres on things I know will only deter someone for a few seconds. For 9 pres, it's a waste.
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    A way to do this could be that the Hydras has a debuff, which reduces X% of your opponents armor. This way, they are useless alone, but a huge threat with others.