SERVER OWNERS

SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
<div class="IPBDescription">YOU NEED ADMINS</div>So I've played on plenty of new servers. To no surprise, there are rarely, if ever, any admins on their server. There is no vote kick. I was just recently trolled (he admitted it) by some random... er nice guy. On top of that, he was using a ton of racial slurs. I ask that each server owner add plenty of admins. An idiot can do the job of banning racists.

Comments

• beaglebeagle Join Date: 2010-12-04 Member: 75469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I can't stand racism or homophobia while I play. I can't just block it out- I take issue with it.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    And this is with them muted. They can still type whatever they want. Today a guy was trolling me, bringing up the word "nig", "######", and "nig lips". No one can do anything about it. UWE implement a kick option. Or have people troll until a mod is on every server.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited November 2012
    basically, threatening server admins wont work as they are most likely voluntarily and as far as i know vote-kicking is not implemented in the offical server pack and UWE are not whitelisting any mods right now. ™

Also, only so many people can work on administration. Not everyone in the sever could do not, nor it is doable. Anyway, I don't see the need for more admins as there are so many servers (sounds bad, but I have read that u had never seen every server full, soooo).

perhaps your attitude gets you trolled?
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2007777:date=Nov 3 2012, 12:13 AM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 3 2012, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->basically, threatening server admins wont work as they are most likely voluntarily and as far as i know vote-kicking is not implemented in the offical server pack and UWE are not whitelisting any mods right now. ™

Also, only so many people can work on administration. Not everyone in the sever could do not, nor it is doable. Anyway, I don't see the need for more admins as there are so many servers (sounds bad, but I have read that u had never seen every server full, soooo).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->**No matter how valid a point is, resorting to insults doesn't help it<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> --Comprox

I am not threatening anyone. If the server owners want to have a server full of ######s then that's their deal (please put it on the server name, so we can avoid that server). Plenty. AND I MEAN PLENTY. of people would like to have admin on ANY server. It's a lust for power. Some will do good, some bad. Remove the bad ones after they do something.

Once again, I'm talking about the entire server list to be full. And wtf does that have to do with the topic? Servers need admins. I'm trying to hold back from being a ######.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    I agree that a vote system is very much needed. Finding enough people to actually admin all of the servers just isn't possible.

callvote kick
    end-of-round map vote
    callvote shuffle

basic stuff. :)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Yes, currently there is no way to moderate UWE servers. Therefore there is a desperate need for a voteban system. Otherwise people whose craving for attention has driven them so low they will even accept despise will run you over whenever they feel like it.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2007797:date=Nov 3 2012, 07:25 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Nov 3 2012, 07:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->callvote kick<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd like to take this moment to stress that votekick has not, will not work in any game ever. If someone is bored enough to troll, you can be damn sure they can spend their worthless time rejoining a server after kicked. Callvote kick always needs to be atleast an hour long ban.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Im not sure if i would like to see voteban, even if its only for an hour... (i dont even need a group of ppl, i can just animate random ppl on the server enough to let a troll voteban succeed - banning innocent ppl for an hour for fun)

Maybe after 2-3 votekicks in X minutes you get banned for an hour.

How about:
    - vote mute (no chat and voice for X minutes)
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2007803:date=Nov 3 2012, 05:28 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Nov 3 2012, 05:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to take this moment to stress that votekick has not, will not work in any game ever. If someone is bored enough to troll, you can be damn sure they can spend their worthless time rejoining a server after kicked. Callvote kick always needs to be atleast an hour long ban.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you're wrong. Here's why:
    What if it's the actual troll doing the callvote? And lets say said person said something like "(All) Troll: This player called me X in teamchat". A lot of people would probably vote yes. And in most cases this doesn't really matter. Since people just press F1 anyway, just to troll a bit themselves.

This is ONE example that I can think of right now at 5:51 in the morning. I'm sure there are a bunch of other scenarios where this would just end up being bad.

Even if said player rejoins the server. You have to press 3 buttons to call the kick again. And people would, most likely, vote yes again. No need for a ban.

Now, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a temporary sort of ban implemented in SOME way. But I really don't think what you're suggesting is the right way to go.

Edit: +1 to Koruyos vote mute. Just to make them shut up. :)
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    let me add, to be honest, i do not think trolling is a very serious issue for the time being at least from my subjective point of view on the asia region i am playing. most didnt know how to play, most didnt know whats going on, some are act like trolling but they didnt even have an idea what they are doing and likely not trolling.

it is a good time for those who are new to look for good servers and communities where you could rely on. there you will not have any issues being trolled. it would be good to have votekicking and banning in the near future with a high minimum votes. i am afraid that having one nowadays would result in huge noob bashing issues in some unfriendly communities hampering the health of the game.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2007811:date=Nov 3 2012, 12:43 AM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 3 2012, 12:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->let me add, to be honest, i do not think trolling is a very serious issue for the time being at least from my subjective point of view on the asia region i am playing. most didnt know how to play, most didnt know whats going on, some are act like trolling but they didnt even have an idea what they are doing and likely not trolling.

it is a good time for those who are new to look for good servers and communities where you could rely on. there you will not have any issues being trolled. it would be good to have votekicking and banning in the near future with a high minimum votes. i am afraid that having one nowadays would result in huge noob bashing issues in some unfriendly communities hampering the health of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with you TBH. I agree the kick feature could be abused..... idk a way to fix this. But there does need to be a way to kick trolls. I'm in the usa and we experience players from all over the map. I've run into a few trolls (most are USA by accent), but it still needs to be looked at.

Honestly, i dont think the entire team will kick a newb. maybe kick out the commander if he/she is not responding/isnt doing anything.
  • Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007767:date=Nov 3 2012, 05:09 AM:name=beagle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beagle @ Nov 3 2012, 05:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I can't stand racism or homophobia while I play. I can't just block it out- I take issue with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS2, War on racism and sexuality 2012.

There is LUA code, get the monkeys to work on it. As for your own preferences and people ruining the game. Suggestions and ideas is always there in the forums. Mute people, ignore them like normal people would do, and IF you actually do own the server. Then you can go into the further things. But until you own it yourself. There are plenty of tissues around for all the man childs.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2007838:date=Nov 2 2012, 10:21 PM:name=Apollonius999)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apollonius999 @ Nov 2 2012, 10:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2, War on racism and sexuality 2012.

There is LUA code, get the monkeys to work on it. As for your own preferences and people ruining the game. Suggestions and ideas is always there in the forums. Mute people, ignore them like normal people would do, and IF you actually do own the server. Then you can go into the further things. But until you own it yourself. There are plenty of tissues around for all the man childs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not entirely clear why you equate the ability to tolerate racism with manhood. I think you may want to reevaluate your definition of what being a Man is.

Personally as an admin for the All-in servers I won't tolerate it.

And you won't see me asking for tissues.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2007803:date=Nov 3 2012, 12:28 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Nov 3 2012, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to take this moment to stress that votekick has not, will not work in any game ever. If someone is bored enough to troll, you can be damn sure they can spend their worthless time rejoining a server after kicked. Callvote kick always needs to be atleast an hour long ban.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know about that. It worked pretty well in Tribes 2. In T2 I believe there was an automatic 24 hour ban after you were kicked from a server.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    1. mute them
    2. grow some effing nuts and stop crying
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    A chat mute would be nice. On the individual level and team/all-chat as well.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    I agree there servers owners do need a good number of admins to be on as much as possible, not always practical though. (and who do you trust)

There are problems with votekick though as it can soon become a metagame in it's own right where there's ALWAYS a kick vote going on for somoene or other.

UWE don't whitelist mods they are down the discression of the server owners to put them on.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Ye i know All-In servers have admins on most time. And also KKG and i think 420.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2007933:date=Nov 3 2012, 09:19 PM:name=Rebel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rebel @ Nov 3 2012, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE don't whitelist mods they are down the discression of the server owners to put them on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually they do, ns2stats and I believe DAK admin mod were whitelisted up until the release of 1.0, but they were then removed. This doesn't mean you can't use these mods, but if you do run them, your server appears "modded" and will be removed from the server list by default.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited November 2012
    They don't need admins on 24/7, that's impractical. What they need is a mod or script of some kind that will monitor the chat. I know Multiplay UK's UT3 servers had this, they had a list of words (in a text file, I have it actually). Those words would cause the line of chat to appear in an IRC channel. Typing "!admin" would highlight the admins in the channel (highlighting is like alerting a particular user in an irc channel). If some one could set up a similar system for the NS2 servers it could be really beneficial for people wanting to moderate their servers.
    <!--quoteo(post=2007940:date=Nov 3 2012, 06:26 AM:name=JuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi @ Nov 3 2012, 06:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ye i know All-In servers have admins on most time. And also KKG and i think 420.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was on the KKG server and no admins were present. Any way to give the names of the admins? That way we can just message them? The other servers usually do have an admin present.

And honestly, Lofung, idk what your deal with me is, but editing your post to just add

"perhaps your attitude gets you trolled?"

But it's starting to seem like you are trolling me or have some obsession with me. If you want to make out, just PM me sometime and we can meet up and maybe even go to 2nd base.
  • RedlightningRedlightning Join Date: 2011-12-07 Member: 136979Members
    Oh joy, I can't wait for the kick feature to get abused to hell and back because people have such thin skin.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2007810:date=Nov 3 2012, 07:42 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Nov 3 2012, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you're wrong. Here's why:
    What if it's the actual troll doing the callvote? And lets say said person said something like "(All) Troll: This player called me X in teamchat". A lot of people would probably vote yes. And in most cases this doesn't really matter. Since people just press F1 anyway, just to troll a bit themselves.

This is ONE example that I can think of right now at 5:51 in the morning. I'm sure there are a bunch of other scenarios where this would just end up being bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In case the whole server is full of trolls you're already f*cked and might as well leave the server, assuming they don't ban you before you make it out.

Come up with more examples. :p

<!--quoteo(post=2007810:date=Nov 3 2012, 07:42 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Nov 3 2012, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even if said player rejoins the server. You have to press 3 buttons to call the kick again. And people would, most likely, vote yes again. No need for a ban.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Does not work in real gaming world. Even if someone is blatantly trolling it is extremely hard to get the majority of the server to vote kick him, this is because alot of people just don't give a damn or are doing their thing OR aren't directly affected by the troll so they don't feel like taking part. Then you add votekicking several times in the equation. Not good!

And how long do you think the troll keeps rejoining? Until everyone resigns and lets him troll again? You need a voteban.

<!--quoteo(post=2007862:date=Nov 3 2012, 09:13 AM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Nov 3 2012, 09:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. mute them
    2. grow some effing nuts and stop crying<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This ain't counter-strike, maaan. Plenty of ways to ruin the game for the entire server. Gl doing that in a dm game with no ff.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Extend the mute function to text chat, problem solved.

Until then, it really is not a big deal to ignore text chat.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    if Mute could also disable all text chat from that person, that would be great --- think thats what is in source?