I want to thank the vets

AzathothAzathoth Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166149Members
Hullo there, this is my first post and I basically just came here to thank the vets.
I find that in most games, veteran players are hostile at best, downright villainous at worst. In my few hours of game time, I've yet to see an obviously veteran player berate any rooks and I think it shows in how many rookies actually start following objectives and helping win the match.
Instead of just shouting at people most of the better players take the lead and be constructive.
So hats off to you guys for making my getting into this game a significantly smoother ride!

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    You're very welcome.

Thanks for taking the chance on this complex game and sticking around to ride out the inevitable bumps, glitches, and balance issues. =]

Trust me, it's worth it.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I always enjoy helping people learn the game. It's refreshing to see people with a healthy interest in picking up NS2 skills who don't have giant heads >.> It's a small fraction of newbies, but there are still to many people running around who can't imagine or admit that they aren't superfly mlg 720 noscopz nutshot pro at this game.

I love helping newbies on the field or even in the command chair, when they let me.
  • TimmahIsASaintTimmahIsASaint Join Date: 2012-09-24 Member: 160678Members
    My favorite kind of player is a new player with the mindset that they have a lot to learn and your teammates are there to help. You sound like that kind of player :P
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    No problem :D
    Yeah, the community is great overall.
  • AzathothAzathoth Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166149Members
    Courteous on forums too! :D
    perhaps I'll stick around the forums here a bit, seems a nicer place than the eternally hateful steam user forums.

Oh and for the record, I was addicted to the AVP games when I was younger and have always wanted a solid FPS/RTS so this game is a dream come true for me.
  • ValcienValcien Join Date: 2007-07-22 Member: 61650Members
    Thanks for the sentiment. NS2 needs more of this attitude. Natural Selection's community is the mostest, to my knowledge.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    Welcome 166-149, glad you're enjoying your stay.

it's quite the 2 way street, patience is needed on both sides. you've got rooks looking for help but get yelled at instead. and then there's times i try to help others but end up giving my attention to some troll who knows better or purposely does the wrong things.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Ive done more commanding in the past few days than I ever have in my years of playing, and I don't mind one bit.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your welcome :) we were all new once so we all enjoying passin on what we learn, and it also helps if your a good listener :)
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    Well we are happy to have you. We want NS2 to succeed, and part of that will be helping new people learning the game. Alot of the people here have hundreds of hours in the beta alone. So sometimes we may forget what the game is like for a new rookie. But if you are polite and let them know right away you are new looking for suggestions or orders, we will help.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    Just make sure you use a mic or at least type :).
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2007501:date=Nov 3 2012, 12:28 AM:name=Azathoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azathoth @ Nov 3 2012, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Courteous on forums too! :D
    perhaps I'll stick around the forums here a bit, seems a nicer place than the eternally hateful steam user forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey, welcome Azathoth. Please do stick around, we have a good community here. And I very much agree about the steam forums, they seem like a scary place.

--Cory
  • Black_OperativeBlack_Operative Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16957Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You're welcome! Watching all of the new players learn the game, and progressively improve match after match, has been some of the most fun I've had in NS2 so far.
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2007394:date=Nov 2 2012, 04:35 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Nov 2 2012, 04:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're very welcome.

Thanks for taking the chance on this complex game and sticking around to ride out the inevitable bumps, glitches, and balance issues. =]

Trust me, it's worth it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could not have said it better. Glad you are here, hope to see you in game.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    First game I ever joined had the comm and other vets walking me through the game mechanics. I seriously did not expect that at all, and was pleasantly surprised.

I hope most of the NS2 players stay this way and have zero tolerance against ######baggery. Just one guy can perpetrate negativity throughout entire servers, so I'm hoping that kind of stuff will be stamped out early and often.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2007592:date=Nov 2 2012, 08:37 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Nov 2 2012, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive done more commanding in the past few days than I ever have in my years of playing, and I don't mind one bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I barely commed a game during the 3 years of betas... I've commed 50% of the games I've played in the last 2 or 3 days. It's great for me, because I finally get to learn to comm and help other players too. Been a great launch so far.
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You're welcome! I only was able to play a little on launch day, but playing with all the new players has already made one of my favorite moments of NS2. I hate commanding, but I hopped right in the comm chair just to make sure their first game was playable, and answered questions... over and over. XD
    We got stomped, but had a blast doing it! A couple rounds later in the ready room, I heard players talking about how much fun they had that first game.

<3 Thanks for being awesome new people and asking/listening/doing your best! :D
  • nakedguynakedguy Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164729Members
    It really is great to see a helpful community, as well as the new players looking to learn. I played ns1 religiously once upon a time then stopped for a few years. But now as I am getting back into it I am finding the community is stronger then it ever was. I think it has to do with the fact that it is a smaller game company, smaller community, and those who have invested time and money into the game really want it to succeed.

I haven't really been in a single game yet where people get yelled at other then jokingly. It really gives new players the incentive to actually try new things and ask questions. Or take a try at comming (which I've done myself a few times now). No one minds a loss, as long as it was hard fought and effort was put into it. You can learn a lot from a loss.

Keep it up guys.