Missing Menu

LeemanrLeemanr Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166032Members
edited November 2012 in Technical Support
After installing NS2 and launching the game I am greeted by this; <a href="http://i.imgur.com/gMXKv.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/gMXKv.jpg</a>

The menu is basically missing and as such I am unable to play :(. I've tried deleting "Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders" as well as "%appdata%\Roaming\Natural Selection 2" before reinstalling which seem to have no effect. I also unsubscribed from all mods before doing so yet I still have this problem.

I've read other threads regarding similar issues but unlike others no sound is made when I scroll over the menu headings.

This is the log: <a href="http://pastebin.com/ZdxqtXfi" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/ZdxqtXfi</a>

Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: I have deleted the shaders and verified integrity many times but the issue still remains. The contents of the log appears every time I launch the game in the console. I even tried deleting the lua folders in addition and instead of the shaders but it just doesn't seem to work.

Comments

• v1talv1tal Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58282Members
    Exact same problem. I think it has something to do with the native resolution; I'm running at 1920x1200 on two monitors, and resolution is definitely not native when I launch. I'm looking for the config file to change the resolution and will let you know if that works for me.
  • LeemanrLeemanr Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166032Members
    You can find the file by navigating to "%appdata%\Roaming\Natural Selection 2" and opening system_options.xml.
    Followed the instructions in this thread:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123060" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=123060</a>

Also, the config file to change resolution is located at %appdata%\natural selection 2\system_options.xml

I performed both of these fixes at the same time so no idea which one fixed it.
    Hmm yeah I've tried deleting the shaders many times in both the core and ns2 folders. May I ask what you changed your resolution to? :o
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea judging by the log you seem to be missing some content/corrupted. I suggest following V1tal's lead.
    Ughh this is driving me insane. I've verified the games cache so many times now and it's still happening. Reinstalling seems pointless at this point as I've done it 3 times already and the problem still persists.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Have you tried changing the steam server from which you download?
    <!--quoteo(post=2007196:date=Nov 2 2012, 01:32 PM:name=Leemanr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Leemanr @ Nov 2 2012, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm yeah I've tried deleting the shaders many times in both the core and ns2 folders. May I ask what you changed your resolution to? :o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1920x1200. That's the native resolution on my monitors.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2007247:date=Nov 2 2012, 10:02 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Nov 2 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you tried changing the steam server from which you download?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I changed the server then tried steps 2, 3 and 4 from <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122598" target="_blank">this</a> thread which didn't work. I then even reinstalled - still nothing. The menu is still non-existent and the same errors are still in the console.
    Forwarded your errors to the lead programmer and he said what i said above, some of the files dont seem to have the correct content for you. :-/
    A full dxdiag would be nice too tho.
    DxDiag: <a href="http://pastebin.com/L000GCAG" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/L000GCAG</a>
    You are not running the latest video card driver, you are running 8.9, the current is 12.10
    <a href="http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx" target="_blank">http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind...iw_vista64.aspx</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=2007311:date=Nov 2 2012, 10:41 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Nov 2 2012, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are not running the latest video card driver, you are running 8.9, the current is 12.10
    <a href="http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx" target="_blank">http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind...iw_vista64.aspx</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was working flawlessly two days ago even with the 8.9 driver, anyway I'll report back shortly.
    I know, and its probably not it.. but its worth a shot as a first step.
    Yeah it didn't really change anything and the errors are still there. :(
    Forwarded to the devs. Sit Tight
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    This is very odd!

Can you try to locate the Steam cloud settings file?

It is located here on my computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\23283283\4920\remote

The "23283283" number in the above path is my Steam Id, you should see your own Steam Id in the userdata directory.

Please paste the contents of that file here. After doing that, try deleting that file and starting the game back up. Steam may give you a dialog box about a Steam cloud conflict. We want to use the file on the local computer if it gives you the option.
    edited November 2012
    I deleted it but it didn't ask me which file I wanted to use and the problem still persists.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--><options>
        <input>
            <Crouch>LeftControl</Crouch>
            <O>O</O>
            <ScrollLeft>Left</ScrollLeft>
            <ToggleSayings>X</ToggleSayings>
            <F>F</F>
            <TeamChat>Y</TeamChat>
            <ActivateSteamworksOverlay>F3</ActivateSteamworksOverlay>
            <Q>Q</Q>
            <H>H</H>
            <PingLocation>MouseButton2</PingLocation>
            <C>C</C>
            <MoveRight>D</MoveRight>
            <TextChat>T</TextChat>
            <ReadyRoom>F4</ReadyRoom>
            <Weapon3>3</Weapon3>
            <Z>Z</Z>
            <ToggleConsole>Grave</ToggleConsole>
            <ToggleDebugging>F7</ToggleDebugging>
            <U>U</U>
            <mouse>
                <acceleration>false</acceleration>
                <rawinput>true</rawinput>
                <acceleration-amount>1.000000</acceleration-amount>
                <invert>false</invert>
                <sensitivity>6.218875</sensitivity>
            </mouse>
            <Buy>B</Buy>
            <Exit>Escape</Exit>
            <L>L</L>
            <VoiceChat>LeftAlt</VoiceChat>
            <G>G</G>
            <Reload>R</Reload>
            <MovementModifier>LeftShift</MovementModifier>
            <RotateYaw>MouseX</RotateYaw>
            <I>I</I>
            <MoveLeft>A</MoveLeft>
            <RequestAmmo>Z</RequestAmmo>
            <B>B</B>
            <R>R</R>
            <RequestHealth>Q</RequestHealth>
            <ToggleSayings1>Z</ToggleSayings1>
            <M>M</M>
            <ShowMap>C</ShowMap>
            <Weapon2>2</Weapon2>
            <D>D</D>
            <MoveForward>W</MoveForward>
            <ScrollBackward>Down</ScrollBackward>
            <Space>Space</Space>
            <T>T</T>
            <ToggleFlashlight>F</ToggleFlashlight>
            <Weapon4>4</Weapon4>
            <V>V</V>
            <A>A</A>
            <ESC>Escape</ESC>
            <Use>E</Use>
            <Jump>Space</Jump>
            <Weapon1>1</Weapon1>
            <X>X</X>
            <S>S</S>
            <ToggleRequest>Z</ToggleRequest>
            <ToggleSayings2>X</ToggleSayings2>
            <J>J</J>
            <NextWeapon>MouseZ</NextWeapon>
            <E>E</E>
            <SecondaryAttack>MouseButton1</SecondaryAttack>
            <Weapon5>5</Weapon5>
            <W>W</W>
            <MoveBackward>S</MoveBackward>
            <N>N</N>
            <PrimaryAttack>MouseButton0</PrimaryAttack>
            <Taunt>Q</Taunt>
            <Y>Y</Y>
            <Drop>G</Drop>
            <P>P</P>
            <RotatePitch>MouseY</RotatePitch>
            <Scoreboard>Tab</Scoreboard>
            <ScrollRight>Right</ScrollRight>
            <K>K</K>
            <RequestMenu>X</RequestMenu>
            <RequestOrder>H</RequestOrder>
            <ScrollForward>Up</ScrollForward>
            <ToggleVoteMenu>V</ToggleVoteMenu>
        </input>
        <filter_tickrate>0.85115131578947</filter_tickrate>
        <help>
            <guimaphelp>1</guimaphelp>
            <guimarineflashlighthelp>1</guimarineflashlighthelp>
            <guiskulkleaphelp>3</guiskulkleaphelp>
            <guilerkflaphelp>2</guilerkflaphelp>
            <guievolvehelp>3</guievolvehelp>
            <guimarinehealthrequesthelp>2</guimarinehealthrequesthelp>
        </help>
        <system>
            <build>217</build>
        </system>
        <timePlayedSeconds>45630</timePlayedSeconds>
        <armorType>Deluxe</armorType>
        <gameMod>ns2</gameMod>
        <minimap-zoom>0.343290</minimap-zoom>
        <filter_full>true</filter_full>
        <filter_modded>true</filter_modded>
        <filter_rookie>2</filter_rookie>
        <CameraAnimation>true</CameraAnimation>
        <locale>enUS</locale>
        <drawDamage>true</drawDamage>
        <filter_gamemode></filter_gamemode>
        <commanderHelp>true</commanderHelp>
        <lastConnectedServer>81.19.216.71:27015</lastConnectedServer>
        <filter_favorites>false</filter_favorites>
        <playerLimit>16</playerLimit>
        <preventFirstTimeWindow>true</preventFirstTimeWindow>
        <rookieMode>false</rookieMode>
        <filter_mapname></filter_mapname>
        <nickname>Nyarry</nickname>
        <serverName>NS2 Listen Server</serverName>
        <showHints>false</showHints>
        <mapName>Summit</mapName>
        <filter_hasplayers>true</filter_hasplayers>
        <mods>
            <active_mods></active_mods>
        </mods>
        <filter_password>true</filter_password>
        <filter_maxping>0.13404605263158</filter_maxping>
        <lastServerMapName>Summit</lastServerMapName>
    </options><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--><filter_rookie>2</filter_rookie><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

That is your problem. That should be either true or false.

This really should not happen unless that file is edited by somebody or something outside the game OR there was a bug in the game while loading the main menu at some point.

Maybe the game had bad files initially downloaded and that corrupted your save file for whatever reason and then you cleaned up the game files but the save file was still corrupted.

Try editing that line to <filter_rookie>false</filter_rookie>

Then save the file. Steam should give you the dialog about conflicted cloud file this time. Choose to keep the local file and everything should be fixed.
    Huzzah! It works! Thanks for the help guys! <3
  • Eclipse186Eclipse186 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166698Members
    Thank you Murphy for the fix, it did the trick. Just to let everyone know, it is the mod "Enhance menu server list" that is the culprit. It is the only mod I had downloaded at the time whenever I started experiencing the same problem.
  • FrenzyfireFrenzyfire Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166717Members
    edited November 2012
    Thanks! I finnally found a working solution!!!:D