Should we kill noobs or hold their hand?

BadIronTreeBadIronTree Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34252Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">lets vote/chat :P</div>lol Last night I went for fun in a noob server (because now I am a noob according to the game ) I killed 5 people in the row as an alien .. 2 people in one corner and 3 people that where firing at some other guy... then the commander was screaming I has a GOD and not a noob ( I am :P ) and the marines cried for HACKS....

so it was fun for a while but then I felt bad when most of then left and the game ended :P

I will stay away from the noob server for a while ;)

fixed*

Comments

• TheGlowTheGlow Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9650Members
    Mixed bag. It's sometimes nice to tear them up to know what they have to look forward to learning. At least that was always my point of view.
    I remember going 40/0 lerk in NS1 and people crying hacks, picking Lerk and trying it. Thats how you get people to try new stuff.
    Trying Dota2 now. When someone waxes the hell out of me with a different hero, I then research that char and try it myself.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited November 2012
    Hey let's not use rape as a casual metaphor for beating someone in a video game thanks
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    I suggest the creation of a pro-server option because I too feel bad slaughtering the masses

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123098" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=123098</a>
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Heh, I tend to be very mellow when it comes to this game. Don't get me wrong, I do like to get my fill of killstreaks and what not. But in the end, I prefer to create a nicer atmosphere to play in for new players. So if I hear something like a new commander saying he wants to step out of the chair or hive, I will tell them to just keep trying and if he has any questions just ask away. Or explain the basic tactict any of the alien lifeforms should use.

I mean an Onos, it looks like an indestructible monster, but every time I see a new player evolving into one I usually try to guide them on how to stay alive as long as possible. I've seen plenty an Onos go into a room with 5 marines equipped with lvl2 or 3 weapons and the Onos just explodes. Making said player sad, but also learning a valuable lesson (that is if he doesn't rage quit :P)
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    Both

Hold the hands of those on your team

Utterly annihilate the ones on the other
  • BadIronTreeBadIronTree Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34252Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2006682:date=Nov 2 2012, 11:11 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Nov 2 2012, 11:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey let's not use rape as a casual metaphor for beating someone in a video game thanks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry its a Greek gaming expression bad translated...
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>cmc5788:</b></u>

Gaming Rape or "Grape" I think is proper

Perhaps you've heard of the Grapist?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    When I kill a bad skulk I stop and discuss with him what he should and shouldn't do.

I think that reveals where I stand on the matter. :P
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I concur.

And if no one rages on the other team, tell em' what went wrong too.

<!--quoteo(post=2006686:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:12 PM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Nov 2 2012, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Both

Utterly annihilate the ones on the other<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2006692:date=Nov 2 2012, 04:18 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Nov 2 2012, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When I kill a bad skulk I stop and discuss with him what he should and shouldn't do.

I think that reveals where I stand on the matter. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes you kill innocent skulks, you're evil! :P
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    KILL THEM ALL! The only time a feel bad is when I kill the gorgre sitting in a corner by himself waiting for the hive to drop.
  • Black_OperativeBlack_Operative Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16957Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think you are helping them by killing them. I remember getting absolutely stomped when I started playing NS1, and it just served as inspiration to get better and better.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Do both. If they're on the other team, kill them. If you're killing multiple enemies easily, handicap yourself in some way for sportsmanship. Hold back destroying their base, give them chance come back a bit. Play with your food if you're an alien.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    On the same team as the noob: Help them out, hold their hand, offer advise.
    On the other team from the noob: Kill them and let their teammates tell them how to improve.

I mean, when I'm running around and I see somebody who needs to be taken out, you can't really tell they're a noob short of trying to interpret their actions, and that's hard. But when you're on their team, the scoreboard makes it easier to check and remember.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    I don't see the fun in ruining the game for new players. They get an infinitely better experience if the experienced players guides them and lays low, like go gorge or command. And if you actually go to the rookie friendly servers and destroy noobs, I am sorry but then you are a piece of ###### imo.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159575Members
    Bring it :).
    Anyone who cries when they die in this game... well... I don't know why they started playing a competitive FPS.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    Only 5 in a row..?

I keep getting such stupidly retarded K:D ratios as fade that people are actually calling fade OP....

O.o....!
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I tend to rage pretty hard when I'm comm and the team doesn't do anything that I tell them. Or when the comm puts down turrets at the start of the round before res towers or upgrades. Or when the alien comm puts shade up first... I rage a lot, but i've tried to dial it back, so I simply say screw you guys have a good game I'm going home.
    edited November 2012
    As of late I've noticed I tend to play WAAAAAY to aggressive as Fade and Lerk, only leaving with very low health, just to try and compensate the lack of knowledge/skill on our team. However once a good aiming marine comes into play I tend to die, because of said low health agressive play :P
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    the only nubs i cannot stand are the know it all marine coms that jump in and out of the chair all game but then complain about their team dying.
  • BadIronTreeBadIronTree Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34252Members
    So true.... the new thing that i see is that aliens lose most of the times because their commander suck.... i think we need to help there alot :P
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2006686:date=Nov 2 2012, 11:12 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Nov 2 2012, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Both

+1
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2006686:date=Nov 2 2012, 11:12 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Nov 2 2012, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Both

This is what I do. :D

60-7 score at end of game other night. Alot of fun with lerk and fade, although with the mixed abilities of the marines you can never tell how long you can stay in a fight. :)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Also, and most importantly, DON'T ALL STACK THE SAME TEAM. SPREAD OUT THE TEACHING.