Buying Black Armor DLC code off a preorder-er-er

Comments

• donkeyhacksdonkeyhacks Join Date: 2012-05-10 Member: 151835Members
    edited November 2012
    Just out of curiosity you aren't mixing up deluxe armor and black armor are you?

The deluxe armor was for pre-order/beta
    and if memory serves me correct black armor was available for a limited amounted of time after alpha began maybe early stage beta(special edition)

To put it simply pre-order gets deluxe armor
    Special edition gets deluxe+black armor

Edit add: sorry only just realised that people had already replied to this.. didn't notice that this forum doesn't show all the replies one the same page as I'm used to. my bad.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    edited November 2012
    wow there is alot of misinformation in this thread about the black armor. It was $39.99 for the special edition that gives the black armor.

There was also a standard edition i think for $19.99 no black armor even if you bought it in alpha.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Black armour = master race! :P

Without our support back in the day, this game would never have become a reality. We are each owners of the developers' <b>Eternal Gratitude</b>. If you look close enough, <i>our names are permanently engraved on Charlie's head.</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005164:date=Nov 1 2012, 10:36 PM:name=salor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (salor @ Nov 1 2012, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well they better well should be. Those of us who believed in UWE when all they had was fancy talk and no game deserve our recognition. I want to be special godamit! lol!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree 100% if they ever do DLC on black armor i woukd be wery sad, they can take the eternal gratitude back then !
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Not to get your hopes up but i was allowed to detach the dlc from a second account i bought for my wife and i gave it away to a deserving fan about a year ago. I doubt the devs would allow this for someone's financial gain.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2005234:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:11 PM:name=Scatter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scatter @ Nov 1 2012, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When was the Holiday edition released? I bought that ages ago but I don't think it included black armor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Holiday Pre-order was December 2010 / January 2011. I bought two extra keys for friends during that time as they had a buy one, get one free sale. I don't recall if it included the black armor or not as the email receipt doesn't specify and my friends have barely played it so I've not seen them in-game yet.

And just for anyone curious, I believe the original pre-order for the Special Edition started on 5/27/2009. That's when I received an email with my Special Edition Key and I'm pretty sure I ordered it on the first day it was available on the website.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2005548:date=Nov 1 2012, 09:34 PM:name=donkeyhacks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (donkeyhacks @ Nov 1 2012, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The deluxe armor was for pre-order/beta
    and if memory serves me correct black armor was available for a limited amounted of time after alpha began maybe early stage beta(special edition)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Special Edition (which included Black Armor) went on sale in May 2009 and was no longer available once the first Alpha was released IIRC. It's possible it could have been on sale throughout the Alpha and got pulled as soon as the first Beta was released. The Special Edition got access to Alpha and Beta and the Regular Edition (Green Armor) only got access to the Beta.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    It was extended for a short while (a month or two if memory serves) after closed alpha started, with plenty of warnings from Comprox that it was coming to an end, so if you wanted the black armor to put in ASAP.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    WTS Steamacc, €500 :P
  • Scott913Scott913 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165604Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2005755:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:13 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Nov 1 2012, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to get your hopes up but i was allowed to detach the dlc from a second account i bought for my wife and i gave it away to a deserving fan about a year ago. I doubt the devs would allow this for someone's financial gain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Totally misread that but none the less its gives a small degree of hope. Also, in another thread of this forum I noted the devs were okay with the selling of keys but had warned about scams etc etc. Also, I hope many of you in this thread don't think I'm trying to undermine the value of the armor. I'm simply a fan who wishes he had both the funds and where with all to purchase the armor when it was available. I love supporting indie developers, more so the ones that truly deserve it and Unknown Worlds certainly seems like one of those devs. Anyway, due to this recent twist should anyone have bought two copies for whatever reason and linked the other one I would humbly request if you would attempt the removal of the DLC if you are interested in making some of that initial return back.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Again, as it's something unlikely to be offered ever again, and would need the special circumstances of being allowed to separate a key from an account, or finding someone who didn't bother to use their code... I'd say that 'recouping the cost' would be an unrealistic minimum. I know that even *if* I had the option to sell mine off (which I do not), I wouldn't let it go for less than well into the triple digits. Limited availability things are like that. And if it's one of the last ones available at any price? That price gets very high, very fast.
  • Scott913Scott913 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165604Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Trust me, I am both fully aware of that and I am okay with that. I expected to pay more than the original 40 dollars.
  • ale'ale' Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005492:date=Nov 2 2012, 03:07 AM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Nov 2 2012, 03:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's been a while, but if memory serves there were two versions on the initial pre-order period (in 2012); one ($40) came with the black armor, but there was a cheaper 'standard edition' option as well for a few bucks cheaper. I do not believe those who went with the cheaper pre-order option received the black armor (but did receive the bump to 'Deluxe'). Next to no one bought the cheaper tier, so seeing a 'green' around was extremely rare in alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're correct, there was a cheaper version for $19.95. I was one of the suckers who bought that one because I was (and am) a student and I didn't have the highest income and I wasn't even sure if I'd ever get to play the game as I didn't have a PC capable of running anything more graphically intensive than Half Life 2. Later I got a better computer and I played the beta quite a bit. But I don't and won't have a black armor despite preordering back in 2009 (can't believe it's been almost three years!). But that's fine, I knew that when I preordered the game. Later I even received freebies from UWE: the free upgrade to deluxe edition and a free copy of the game. All this for 20 dollars and I have even played the game more than anything in years. Can't complain!
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    edited November 2012
    For those of you unfamiliar with the web archive, prepare to be dazzled by actual evidence:

<a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20100722014027/http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20100722014027/...ection2.com/buy</a>

edit: on July 26th 2010 the special edition (and any possibility to buy black armor) was removed and the standard edition went up to $34.95, you can see this by advancing to the next cached version of the page with the arrow at the top right.
  • Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87831Members
    Okay I'm terribly confused. I thought the Deluxe armor I got upgraded to in that email WAS the special armor that all the prepurchasers got. Apparently there's a third that I should have gotten? I bought the Special Edition years ago and have been in the alpha from the start! Curious I just requested my key be resent by email and it shows as the Standard Edition for some reason! I paid $40...

It's not the armor, I have the Deluxe and who cares about the skin...but it's the principle ya know? What gives.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2006189:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:02 PM:name=Good_Apollo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Good_Apollo @ Nov 2 2012, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006189"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay I'm terribly confused. I thought the Deluxe armor I got upgraded to in that email WAS the special armor that all the prepurchasers got. Apparently there's a third that I should have gotten? I bought the Special Edition years ago and have been in the alpha from the start! Curious I just requested my key be resent by email and it shows as the Standard Edition for some reason! I paid $40...

It's not the armor, I have the Deluxe and who cares about the skin...but it's the principle ya know? What gives.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What?
    There are 3 versions of the game:

Normal - Green skin
    Deluxe - Green + Deluxe skin
    Special - Black + Green + Deluxe skin

If you bought the "normal edition" with just the green skin (the $20 at preorder) you got an free upgrade to the deluxe edition. Meaning: you now have the normal green skin + the new deluxe one (and a couple of other things).

If you bought the "special edition" ($40 preorder) you should have 3 skins to chose from by now: Green, Black and Deluxe.
    I've got the special edition and didn't do anything to upgrade to "deluxe", i just had all the skins for selection in my options.
    Apollo, you'd have received a second email with your Black Armor DLC steam code. If it wasn't, there's a recovery site to re-send the email somewhere, though I'm not sure if it still works... it's been a year or two after all. May need to PM Comprox about it, believe he can help with retrieving black armor codes that weren't sent.
  • rek.netrek.net Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157667Members
    edited November 2012
    I bought the DEC2010 NS2 pre-order (Holiday Edition - 2 for 1!) and my armor model didn't come with christmas lights and an angel/star helmet. This is bullhonkey!
  • FaultyFaulty Join Date: 2005-03-14 Member: 45268Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was wondering why my armour looked half black and half green, looks like I didn't save the second email (probably thought it was a mistake at the time). I'll probably wait a year so the game is more popular and then see what prices the black armour gets on ebay
  • JaLooNzJaLooNz Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65204Members
    edited November 2012
    As others have said...

Normal - Green skin
    Deluxe - Green + Deluxe skin
    <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20100722014027/http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy" target="_blank">Special - Black + Green + Deluxe skin (Only if purchased the $40 special edition before 27th July 2010)</a>

If you have access to it you should see something similar to this...
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural Selection 2 Store store@unknownworlds.com
    7/27/10
    Find your NS2 game key(s) listed below:

NS2 pre-order Special Edition: ZXY2E-P36T9-W5HVS-XXXXX-XXXXX registered to XXXXX
    NS2 Black Armor: AIL2E-JYKJA-8AS86-XXXXX-XXXXX registered to XXXXX

For more help, please visit our FAQ (http://www.naturalselection2.com/faq) or write to us at community@unknownworlds.com.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can try to retrieve all your keys using <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve" target="_blank">this site</a>...
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    Want to know the best part about having black armor

You cant see it yourself
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2006434:date=Nov 2 2012, 04:52 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Nov 2 2012, 04:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Want to know the best part about having black armor

You cant see it yourself<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can see it when the camera zooms in at the beginning of the round...

PS - This thread reads like the "who's on first" skit.
  • Black_OperativeBlack_Operative Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16957Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2006434:date=Nov 2 2012, 09:52 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Nov 2 2012, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Want to know the best part about having black armor

You cant see it yourself<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm wondering if they have any plans to change the first-person view to show the black armor. Not that it's any sort of serious issue, but it'd be nice.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Oh man, the money I could have made off of this.
    <!--quoteo(post=2006408:date=Nov 2 2012, 06:37 AM:name=Faulty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faulty @ Nov 2 2012, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was wondering why my armour looked half black and half green, looks like I didn't save the second email (probably thought it was a mistake at the time). I'll probably wait a year so the game is more popular and then see what prices the black armour gets on ebay<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why wait? I can't imagine the price increasing that much or people recalling what the armor is. Plus, given a years time I'm sure UW will have added other skins to the game along with modders adding character models that could make the armor less desirable. There's no time like the present!
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    It's incredible how people care so much about slight cosmetic changes. You can barely notice the difference between the black and green armor... I think the goggles on the marine's head are the only noticeable changes?

Anyways, I can sort of understand some people liking this so much, but I just hope this won't turn into a TF2 sort of thing...where everyone is fighting over meaningless items.

I kind of would've liked a small "constellation" emblem engraved in those that are part of it... something only people in the constellation would know is there and would not detract from gameplay.

Something for playtesters as well...

One thing I like about the blackarmor though...is I can be sure that the player is not a rookie heh.
    edited November 2012
    I doubt it would ever escalate to that point. Theres just not enough demand for the product in hand. The market for the black armor will be a niche one. Plus, there doesn't appear to be a large amount of keys floating around which would prevent a real market for them ever really expanding. Plus it either takes someone who really loves a game/has a screw loose to pay 100+ dollars for a player skin :P.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Black armour was back in 2010 when ithere was a pre alpha special edition. Beta players and per-orders dont get black armour, just dulex edition armour, which pre alpha special edition also gets. Also I wouldn't like to see them as DLC, it should remain to those who paid extra befor the game was even stable and realse was years down the line, thats real dedication to true NS2 fans who deserve it.
    The goal of this thread was not to debate whether or not the DLC should be in fact re-released as DLC but rather engaged my interest in purchasing a key, if one still exists.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    You did not pre-order the game. You did not even know of the game's existence.
    The black armor is a small thank-you perk for those who decided to put money 'blindly' on the table, without even knowing how the game was going to turn out, and when the team was in financial difficulty.

So why would you want this little piece of recognition if it doesn't even mean anything to you ?
    Are you really willing to pay 100 bucks just to look cool ?